Shadrach Leaving the Dales??

ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
Forum Member
✭✭
Inside Soap say he is leaving in March (I think). I haven't got a copy but I read my mate's copy and he is mentioned in the coming/going part of the mag.

Will he return?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he doesn't leave. Strangely enough, I really like the character. I like his pervy quirks and remarks, it's funny.

If he does leave it won't be a huge loss as he hasn't had a storyline since Gennie came back (I think anyway), so he's just a spare part really. But I will be sad to see him go.
  • themightyruththemightyruth Posts: 3,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, I've wanted him to leave for ages.
  • mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    Another great step forward for Emmerdale if it's true. Combined with the loss of the moronic Eli, maybe at last the inane hillbilly Dingle era is ending for good :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another great step forward for Emmerdale if it's true. Combined with the loss of the moronic Eli, maybe at last the inane hillbilly Dingle era is ending for good :)
    Couldn't agree more about Eli, he's a complete joke of a character and a waste of space. Hasn't had anything to do since the Debbie/Jasmine storyline killing the copper. Just a spare part floating around the toffee factory.
  • Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he doesn't go, he's always good comic value.

I don't know why he stays in a place nobody seems to like him though, but then he would probably have that problem wherever he was.
  • randomocityrandomocity Posts: 2,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Emma Atkins (Charity) spill that a Dingle is going to die? It could be him...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Shadrach will be back at some point. :(:(:(

Still, even a temporary absence would be quite nice. :):)
    Forum Member
    Missa wrote: »
    Still, even a temporary absence would be quite nice. :):)
    TBH he makes my skin crawl. The other night we saw the full contents of his mouth when he was eating. His perving is uncomfortably creepy at times too, and he just comes across as a nasty dirtbag. Unfunny too, but that's my sense of humour - I prefer wit to seeing the same predictable characteristics over and over again.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    He doesn't add anything to the show, so I can't say I'd miss him. I don't find him funny or amusing, just rather creepy and quite disgusting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I have felt that Shadrach's time was drawing to an end for a while and it is probably a good thing overall. However, Andy Devine is a good actor and it is a shame his character was never further developed. I hope his exit at least gives him something more to do. I wonder if he was axed, or if he quit like Joe Gilgun? (I WILL miss Eli and still think it was a stupid thing to waste him as they have done.)

I wonder if this will be linked with Eli's exit? Gavin Blyth did promise a good storyline for that and said it would be spring. Do they leave together, or is Eli somehow responsible for Shadrach's death? That would be awful! :cry: I wouldn't like it at all if his family turned against him again - especially Marlon. If that happens, I hope at least Marlon sticks up for him, like he did last year.
  • crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I am really sad to hear this. I think Andy devine is great in the role, totally disgusting and hilarious. Though when called upon can be so sweet and sensitive . He also looks very like the cowardly lion :D:D
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish he'd take all the Dingles with him. I still can't believe how they thought it was ok to rob the General Store when Bob was on his uppers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really sad to hear this. I think Andy devine is great in the role, totally disgusting and hilarious. Though when called upon can be so sweet and sensitive . He also looks very like the cowardly lion :D:D

He does look like the cowardly lion. :D I have a soft spot for Shadrach, but I suppose he was the most expendable and they did have a high number of Dingles. It is not a 'cull' though, because at least Joe chose to leave (don't know about Andy) and TPTB have said he could come back.
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    One of the free to air channels here in Australia has just got a second channel and has started showing Emmerdale. They have started the story years ago (I think about five) and Shadrack was actually okay then, quite touching moments between he and Zac about their dad. He was certainly not as scruffy and moronic then as he is now. (We also get a more up to date Emmerdale on UKTV where we are about six months behind).

Obviously, his character has been allowed to deteriorate, purely for comedic purposes.

I like Shadrack, even in his two guises, and hope he doesn't disappear completely.
    Forum Member
    He doesn't add anything to the show, so I can't say I'd miss him. I don't find him funny or amusing, just rather creepy and quite disgusting.
    As Studmuffin said, he's another example of Dingle selfishness. The perving is sleazy and horrible and his manners, such as picking his nose when eating in Viv's cafe, often turned my stomach. I really hope the character's leaving, it'll help Emmerdale keep up its excellent recovery :)
  • fredsnailfredsnail Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is true I will be sad to lose Shadrach out of most of the Dingles.

Yes his character is scruffy, dirty etc but when he is given something to do he is one of the best actors in Emmerdale. He is essentially a rough diamond - get beyond the outer dirty exterior and he has a heart of gold and will try his hardest to do what is right.

The relationship that developed between Laurel and Shadrach over the baby Daniel storyline showed this and it was IMO one of the best parts of this storyline.

He is capable of comedy, drama and also sensitivity. Like with many of the actors though I suspect that they just don't know what to do with them - and once given a chance to shine and become a major player in a story line they are then relegated to background fodder and forgotten about again.

At present the lack of storylines is sad waste of a good actor and if he has chosen to go you can't blame him.
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it isn't for good. :(
    Forum Member
    fredsnail wrote: »
    At present the lack of storylines is sad waste of a good actor and if he has chosen to go you can't blame him.
    They could have reunited him with his daughter Gennie, but that relationship's a distant memory now. Personally, I think the newcomers are edging out the lesser Dingles. While this has helped Emmerdale enormously as a show, seeing Eli & Shadrach improve as characters ( ie becoming less moronic ) would have been good. Failing that, they are best off out of it.
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Dingles were good once when the likes of Butch and Mandy were around in the 90s. And Zak and Nellie and their other daughter. Never one of my favourite families but they were tolerable. But now its just the same tired old routine with them and i think they should all go apart from Cain, Debbie, Chas and Charity.
    Forum Member
    But now its just the same tired old routine with them and i think they should all go apart from Cain, Debbie, Chas and Charity.
    I agree - they are SO predictable and have been for ages.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the better Dingles, a sad loss for the show if true. The genius of Shadrach is that he doesn't need to do anything or be part of big storylines, he is a blast as a supporting character. Shadrach winding up Zak about Lisa's nude modelling was brilliant over the last week or two.

I'd rather see Zak leave.
    Forum Member
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    He was certainly not as scruffy and moronic then as he is now.
    His scenes with Gennie were quite poignant. But this version of Shadrach for me will be no loss at all. An unwashed comedy perv - there's something a bit creepy about that IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Plenty of people can see his value, including me, for these very reasons. OK, so at the moment he doesn't appear to be doing much, but not every character needs to be at the forefront of the drama every week to add something to the show. Every character has their worth.
    I actually enjoy the few seconds he appears on screen, because we never know which Shadrach we're going to get. He can be repulsive, say something funny, or astound us with some sensitivity, all in just a few words. It's sad that some people think of him just as a "comedy" character, or indeed moronic, because there's a lot more to him than that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Dingles were good once when the likes of Butch and Mandy were around in the 90s.

Yeah Mandy is a much loved, much missed legend.
    And Zak and Nellie and their other daughter.

Nellie & Tina were the greatest, two well written, well acted characters.
    Forum Member
    It's sad that some people think of him just as a "comedy" character, or indeed moronic, because there's a lot more to him than that.
    It's not sad at all, it's just an opinion. Shadrach, as I've already stated, has been in a few poignant scenes - in the Daniel saga and when Gennie first turned up.

But he hasn't returned to that type of scene for ages. Now he's a minor and predictable character like Eli. That's the writers' fault, and I'd rather see characters leave if they're never developed or given more range.