Options

anyone without Tivo noticing how the normal boxes are becoming more glitchy?

renno69renno69 Posts: 264
Forum Member
Hi, Just wondering if anyone else is finding their boxes becoming more glitchy since Tivo came out?
I have the SA V+ box and allthough never perfect was mostly trouble free, but since the new ones arrived, it 'seems' like it's not working as well. i.e. hanging whilst changing channels, random re-boots and missing epg's are becoming more frequent than before. Anyone else noticed this? The cynical part of me is thinking maybe it's a ploy to get me to upgrade lol, though i'm sure that's not the case, anyone any thoughts? similar experiences?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    No problems with mine!
  • Options
    Asian ChannelAsian Channel Posts: 884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a major issues with my samsung hd box took 12 seconds just to change channels
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had a major issues with my samsung hd box took 12 seconds just to change channels

has it been happening more frequently over say the last 3-4 months, or is it about the same as before?, most of us know we'll have problems early morning (midnight - 3am) due to epg updates. these are problems not worth complaining to CS about, but they are annoying more than anything else.
  • Options
    timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cynical part of me is thinking maybe it's a ploy to get me to upgrade

lmfao, the Bourne Conspiracies eh?........:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    i've noticed that since my samsung software was upgraded i have had to reboot the box 4 times in a week before the upgrade of software i only rebooted once in a year, i think there is something wrong with the software
  • Options
    wkdboy1wkdboy1 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I have two old SA boxes, and they are dredful at the moment, plus my mother has also got 2 of those boxes and they are the same, been about a month, going to phone and report it soon, I pay enough, so is it too much to expect that the services i pay for are up to scratch?
  • Options
    in2deepin2deep Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My SA v+HD has always been a bit "reboot happy", often right in the middle of something good. Occasionally it's done it whilst recording something, so the recording's lost.

Interestingly, there's usually a slowdown, with delayed response to changing channels / navigation on playback, around midnight. Always thought this odd, as though some process was running around then which brought the box to a halt.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid, I am thinking about Tivo, so perhaps my box knows this and is trying to hurry me up ;)
  • Options
    JaxkesaJaxkesa Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Yep, mine is really slow showing the guide or V+ menu. Then there are the random freezes where it doesn't respond to anything for a minute, not even turning it off, until it catches up again.

All within the last month.
  • Options
    56up56up Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, they've always been a bit unstable. Not improved not worsened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    My SA V+HD box had been fine and quite stable up until a couple of months ago when there was a lot of discussion about the Reminders feature not being available on the Tivo box and VM asking their support forum punters if they used the feature much.

At about the same time I had a few occasions where I'd set a reminder and it didn't trigger and I did wonder if that was VM doing that on purpose to see the amount of complaints they got so they could tell if Reminders were widely used. Probably just me being cynical.

Lately my box has been OK but not as trouble free as it used to be before Tivo was launched.
  • Options
    JaxkesaJaxkesa Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    My recordings always have minor glitches in them as well now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is hilarious, do you really think that Virgin are sending DUFF signals to people who have V+ boxes, in an attempt to get them to take TiVo? Been watching too many conspiracy theory movies me thinks........:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    Pft - the V+ has always been glitchy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    timpo wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious, do you really think that Virgin are sending DUFF signals to people who have V+ boxes, in an attempt to get them to take TiVo? Been watching too many conspiracy theory movies me thinks........:D

no-one is suggesting that, do virgin pay you to troll around berating any comment that might not be in virgins favour? (been checking some of your posts)
    I am saying that MY box has become more prone to problems since tivo's arrival, now it's probably just a coincidence as i stated but maybe, whatever upgrades they implemented to support tivo on the system may not be as compatable with the older boxes and maybe causing problems, do you not think that's even a slight possibilty? and i don't suggest they'd really do it on purpose. I see you missed that i was joking when you previously quoted me, quoting me out of context lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    renno69 wrote: »
    I am saying that MY box has become more prone to problems since tivo's arrival, now it's probably just a coincidence as i stated but maybe, whatever upgrades they implemented to support tivo on the system may not be as compatable with the older boxes and maybe causing problems, do you not think that's even a slight possibilty?

I agree, mine has been more flaky than usual over the last few months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone else is finding their boxes becoming more glitchy since Tivo came out?
    I have the SA V+ box and allthough never perfect was mostly trouble free, but since the new ones arrived, it 'seems' like it's not working as well. i.e. hanging whilst changing channels, random re-boots and missing epg's are becoming more frequent than before. Anyone else noticed this? The cynical part of me is thinking maybe it's a ploy to get me to upgrade lol, though i'm sure that's not the case, anyone any thoughts? similar experiences?

More sound drop outs and picture blocking than there used to be, also my box reboots almost daily. And yes, I do think it started with the Tivo start up.

Same thing happened when NTL went digital, analogue service went downhill very quickly. I think I even accused them of doing it on purpose to get people to upgrade. Ha ha, my Doctor says I'm paranoid but I reckon he's got it in for me. :eek::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that the SA V+ HD box will freeze for about five minutes and reboot if it's tuned to an HD channel and you're trying to watch playback whilst recording !:confused: I must agree it does seem to have become a bit more skittish over the last couple of months. I see Virgin are advertising free installation for TiVo boxes at the moment, does that apply to current customers or just new ones ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no-one is suggesting that, do virgin pay you to troll around berating any comment that might not be in virgins favour? (been checking some of your posts)
    I am saying that MY box has become more prone to problems since tivo's arrival, now it's probably just a coincidence as i stated but maybe, whatever upgrades they implemented to support tivo on the system may not be as compatable with the older boxes and maybe causing problems, do you not think that's even a slight possibilty? and i don't suggest they'd really do it on purpose. I see you missed that i was joking when you previously quoted me, quoting me out of context lol.

No i dont work for Virgin, and maybe if you had looked at some of my other posts instead of being "selective" and picking up the pro Virgin ones, you would have seen that i also critiscise Virgin on other services, so please get your facts right and look more closely instead of making stupid "troll" comments.
  • Options
    cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an SA V+ before TiVo, it was fine for the most part but if it was about 80% full (easily done with HD recordings) it would start to play up.

Try deleting some stuff or formatting the box if you have watched everything...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No i dont work for Virgin, and maybe if you had looked at some of my other posts instead of being "selective" and picking up the pro Virgin ones, you would have seen that i also critiscise Virgin on other services, so please get your facts right and look more closely instead of making stupid "troll" comments.

did you say anything constructive in your post?, did you provide any relevant information?, or did you just post a snide pointless comment which helps or informs no-one! I and many others would class it as trolling, If you have something constructive to add by all means contribute, if not then shut up and go away.
  • Options
    JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The SA V+ can't handle HD, mine regularly reboots mid recording if i try to record two HD channels at once. I try and reboot it every so often when i remember to avoid this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cy_bones wrote: »
    I had an SA V+ before TiVo, it was fine for the most part but if it was about 80% full (easily done with HD recordings) it would start to play up.

Try deleting some stuff or formatting the box if you have watched everything...

I have between 40-50 hours free an my box, I did a re-format a few months ago, though I did use the DTV medic the other day and it seems tuners 1 and 2 can't equalise and my low range RF is too high but I haven't a clue what that means or what to do about it lol
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jelite wrote: »
    The SA V+ can't handle HD, mine regularly reboots mid recording if i try to record two HD channels at once. I try and reboot it every so often when i remember to avoid this.

Dont get this myself, maybe just lucky or circumstances not matching what you are doing. Only time I ever have to reboot my box is now and then I get like a white speaker icon on screen. Even at that, I can get rid of it for a while by pressing into V+ and back out again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did you say anything constructive in your post?, did you provide any relevant information?, or did you just post a snide pointless comment which helps or informs no-one! I and many others would class it as trolling, If you have something constructive to add by all means contribute, if not then shut up and go away.

You need to lighten up sunshine and get a life! If you had maybe just looked properly at my post, you may have seen a smillie at the end of it, which generally means that the post was said with some intended humour attached to it, as for snide pointless comments wasn't it you who started this off with the "troll" comment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You need to lighten up sunshine and get a life! If you had maybe just looked properly at my post, you may have seen a smillie at the end of it, which generally means that the post was said with some intended humour attached to it, as for snide pointless comments wasn't it you who started this off with the "troll" comment?

Nope!