Options

If Bruce was to leave - who would you like to replace him?

Don't get me wrong, Bruce is a television legend and someone I have l have looked up to for a long time now.
But I sadly think his time may have come to the end on strictly.
So how do you think could replace him? I think maybe they could get rid of Tess and replace them both by Jane Torvil and Christopher Dean.
But who do you think? Do you agree with me?

Comments

• Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong, Bruce is a television legend and someone I have l have looked up to for a long time now.
    But I sadly think his time may have come to the end on strictly.
    So how do you think could replace him? I think maybe they could get rid of Tess and replace them both by Jane Torvil and Christopher Dean.
    But who do you think? Do you agree with me?
    Forsyth favours Tess and Claudia; the bookies have Anton as front runner. Pick anyone at all, and you could be right.

This has been discussed so often in the past with lots of names put forward or rejected by viewers. Currently no-one knows except for the producers and they won't be influenced by viewers.

About the only thing which seems to be definite is that there will be another series, and even that isn't totally certain..
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bill Turbull. Ex contestant, the potential UK version of the excellent Tom Bergeron, and all round good egg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Bill Turbull. Ex contestant, the potential UK version of the excellent Tom Bergeron, and all round good egg.
    Can't stand him. When he was a contestant he wasn't happy with the criticisms from the judges. Seemed to think he was a better dancer than he is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Can't stand him. When he was a contestant he wasn't happy with the criticisms from the judges. Seemed to think he was a better dancer than he is.

I don' t remember that. Perhaps he played along with the panto.
  • Options
    Dilly 1Dilly 1 Posts: 39,906
    Forum Member
    I think Tess and Claudia do a perfectly good job so I wouldn't like them to be overlooked in favour of anyone else. I hope they just keep those two.
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Bruce is ever replaced I seriously hope it's not Anton. I didn't rate his hosting skills when he used to present "Hole In The Wall" and "Step Up To The Plate" and certainly don't want to ever see him hosting Strictly.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm..

What's it got to do with us?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm..

What's it got to do with us?
    Exactly. As I said up thread no-one knows except for the producers and they won't be influenced by viewers.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dilly 1 wrote: »
    I think Tess and Claudia do a perfectly good job so I wouldn't like them to be overlooked in favour of anyone else. I hope they just keep those two.

absolutely agree Dilly - I hope they dont overlook these 2 ladies either, I much prefer having Tess and Claudia presenting than Bruce and Tess
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be more than happy to have Tess and Claudia present, but I think the BBC will want a 'name' to do it. I reckon John Barrowman is their first choice, but he is beginning to become a big name in the US, so even though Strictly is a massive job, he may not want or need it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the balance of one male and one female is best, though Tess and Claudia do work well together.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I don't think they need look any further than Claudia and Tess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    I would be more than happy to have Tess and Claudia present, but I think the BBC will want a 'name' to do it. I reckon John Barrowman is their first choice, but he is beginning to become a big name in the US, so even though Strictly is a massive job, he may not want or need it.

I think I'd rather keep Brucie.... :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the balance of one male and one female is best, though Tess and Claudia do work well together.

I don't think we necessarily need a male presenter. I think the BBC will think we do though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dilly 1 wrote: »
    I don't think we necessarily need a male presenter. I think the BBC will think we do though.

They may very well do, if they think (rightly or wrongly) that more people think like me, than think like you. :)
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member

He'd be a safe pair of hands but not particularly family friendly-I had a thought the other day that Michael McIntyre got a chat show to potentially test out his suitability for the job, I think he'd be good at the introductions/jokes bit as long as he didn't get too hyper and then put Claudia up in the Tess Pit-Although I'd feel harsh axing Tess after she'd carried Brucie for so long
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    He'd be a safe pair of hands but not particularly family friendly-I had a thought the other day that Michael McIntyre got a chat show to potentially test out his suitability for the job, I think he'd be good at the introductions/jokes bit as long as he didn't get too hyper and then put Claudia up in the Tess Pit-Although I'd feel harsh axing Tess after she'd carried Brucie for so long

Not sure what you mean by family friendly?

And whether Mr McIntyre would fit that particular mould?
  • Options
    Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »

Good grief, I hope not :( McIntyre would ruin the show for me, I wouldn't stop watching, but I'd have to press mute every time he'd appear - cannot stand the man.
  • Options
    Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    I don't think they need look any further than Claudia and Tess.

Agree. They've proved more than capable on the results show, I'd stick with them both :)
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member

Turnbull has no personality whatsoever and comparing him to Tom Bergeron who is just far too superior in presentation skills is silly.
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member

I used to think J Barrowman could be the potential replacement for Forsyth, a dancing /singing act. But John has gone too cheesy and too hyper for my liking now & he'll dominate the show too much , much like Forsyth, who is all me me me.*rolleyes*
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think they have 'names' doing it already! Tess has been part of Strictly since the dawn of time, Claudia has presented ITT and everyone knows she is part of the Strictly team, why change a formula that works and have people that the GBP already associate with Strictly - but then again this is the BBC and they tend to 'fix' things that arent broken :p:D

I personally cannot stand John Barrowman so he would be a complete turn off for me, I would rather they kept Bruce ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turnbull has no personality whatsoever and comparing him to Tom Bergeron who is just far too superior in presentation skills is silly.

By all means disagree with me, but kindly refrain from calling my POV "silly", By way of example, despite disagreeing with you, I'm not about to do that to you.
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the BBC are in a 'promote women' drive (Mishal Husain got the R4 Today job ahead of Nick Robinson) and promoting Tess to permanent main host of their prime time Sat. eve show would be seen as a good move by the Corporation.

She did a great job on the recent Sport Relief minus Bruce, and when teamed up with Claude, they have a natural rapport. She's certainly better in the lead role than in the Tess Pit where her questions are cringeworthy sometimes. Claude is obviously never coming back to ITT (let's pray Lisa Riley doesn't get that job eventually).

Ultimately I think Bruce will dictate terms and keep his role for about half the run, including the Final ofcourse. It always amazes me how we have a big exciting build up to what we hope is a great show, and Bruce stumbles on, mumbling and not knowing what his cue is. It's embarrassing and kills the excitement stone dead, and yet the Producers can't see that there's anything wrong? Though I agree with others, he obviously is a Dance aficionado and knows when the standard is high and is excited by it.

I thought Graham Norton was great on Strictly Dance Fever, but that was a different show. Whether he'd take on SCD or even be asked, who knows? But I think he's the only other alternative. It's a long run and a big comittment.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Anybody but Bruce - even Orville the Duck would do a better job!