Scared of Thunder big time.

jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,066
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been scared of Thunder since a kid, but the last year or so my fear has grown.

3 times this summer I have stayed awake purposely so I wouldn't be woken by it.

Last Night as thunder was forecasted, I listened to every forecast, was going into net weather every ten minutes, too see the storm risk. Reminded the forecasts to make sure I heard what was being said.

The 3 nights I have stayed up we have had no thunder.

I am 39' still live with my parents, as I have CP but I don't want them to no.

Could a Doctor, Shrink or Counseilor help

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH used to hate storms and would try to be in a place with no windows or as little outside exposure as possible. Like many things this was inherited from his parents. My mum however loved a good storm to 'clear the air' as she said. I have inherited her attitude and after many years together where I have refused to close curtains etc, my OH is much more relaxed about them and will even join me on the doorstep or at the window to watch the lightening. .
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think it is going to blow the house up or something.
  • urbanhermiturbanhermit Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I always think it is going to blow the house up or something.

Jazz - whilst not unreasonable to have that thought, I'd like you to think about all the storms you've seen / heard and the amount of times a house has been blown up by it?

I'd imagine that the figure is very low and as well as that, unlikely to include someone you know.

Having suffered from anxiety in the past, I found CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) to be highly useful.

If you talk to your GP, you can get some through the NHS or, like myself, you can go to a private therapist.

Hope that helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mother used to put away the cutlery and open the front and back doors (to let the lightening through :confused: ) So it's no wonder I have 'issues'. Not helped by one year when we were renovating a house. The scaffolding probably didn't help but an electric drill that was plugged in and in use only moments before lit up like a Christmas tree.
    I pull the curtains closed and cower till the storm is over. I don't want to see it or hear it!
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been scared of Thunder since a kid, but the last year or so my fear has grown.

Last Night as thunder was forecasted, I listened to every forecast, was going into net weather every ten minutes, too see the storm risk. Reminded the forecasts to make sure I heard what was being said.

See your GP, they would be the best person to advise what would be the best course of treatment. You may be able to get Diazepam or something similar which can help relax you and take the edge off your anxiety. Don't be afraid to ask for help, if it's affecting you so badly that you haven't slept for three days, it's best to seek advice.

(I'm sorry, but your thread put me in mind of this song from the 'Ted' film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9PnNW56bp0 although I can't guarantee that will help!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    euphie wrote: »
    See your GP, they would be the best person to advise what would be the best course of treatment. You may be able to get Diazepam or something similar which can help relax you and take the edge off your anxiety. Don't be afraid to ask for help, if it's affecting you so badly that you haven't slept for three days, it's best to seek advice.

(I'm sorry, but your thread put me in mind of this song from the 'Ted' film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9PnNW56bp0 although I can't guarantee that will help!)

It hasn't been Three Nights in a row, but there has been 3 nights thus summer which has had Thunder forecast, But without doubt we will get more nights where it is forecast this summer.

My father has put Blackout blinds in my room, but either side there is a like a millimetre gap,

All 3 nights it was scheduled to thunder it hasn't, we had 2 claps at about 7am, The Forecaster did say last night, that some areas would avoid it.
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hasn't been Three Nights in a row, but there has been 3 nights thus summer which has had Thunder forecast, But without doubt we will get more nights where it is forecast this summer.

My father has put Blackout blinds in my room, but either side there is a like a millimetre gap,

All 3 nights it was scheduled to thunder it hasn't, we had 2 claps at about 7am, The Forecaster did say last night, that some areas would avoid it.

Sorry, I managed to misread your OP. I know there are websites that can show which areas are to get thunder and lightening, but I can't remember exactly what site it is now. The weather forecast isn't always accurate, although I can usually tell when a storm is about to hit as I get a dull headache. We had continuous thunder last year here in NI, and I was almost driven demented while it was going on outside.

I used to be scared, as I'd heard stories of near misses with people I know, but oddly now, thunderstorms fascinate me and I actually enjoy watching them.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it can also thunder in the day too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    euphie wrote: »
    Sorry, I managed to misread your OP. I know there are websites that can show which areas are to get thunder and lightening, but I can't remember exactly what site it is now. The weather forecast isn't always accurate, although I can usually tell when a storm is about to hit as I get a dull headache. We had continuous thunder last year here in NI, and I was almost driven demented while it was going on outside.

I used to be scared, as I'd heard stories of near misses with people I know, but oddly now, thunderstorms fascinate me and I actually enjoy watching them.

I am. Regular user of those thunder location websites, probably part of my undoing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My house was hit by lightening around 9 years ago and the only thing it did to my property was fry my pc which I was trying to turn off, I purchased a new part and it worked fine. I did blast my neighbours tv ariel off at the same time. You can buy surge protection for your valuable electrical items though.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need to be scared of thunder. Its the lightning that would be the problem. The thunder comes well after the lightning has got you.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP. I'm really sorry that you are scared of thunder, I was the same as a child, but now I love to watch the lightning and watch the storm in progress.

I've been upstairs watching a storm pass over my house just now, it was quite entertaining.
  • oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Hi

Being scared of lightning is normal, but being in a house what's the point in worrying if its strikes your home for which in odds is unlikely being awake or asleep is not going to make much difference Can you say why suffering CP this makes you any different If you or your parents have a car sleep in it, it is totally impervious to lightning strikes due to the Faraday cage effect
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thunder and lightning are two entirely different things. Fear of thunder is irrational and could probably be helped by therapy.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i wouldn`t worry about the thunder, if you`re hearing it it means you havn`t been struck by the lightening that it`s the sound of.
  • TanequilTanequil Posts: 366,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could buy some ear plugs or is that being too simplistic.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried one of those desensitising CDs that you can get for dogs? It's a cd of thunder, you put it on low and as time goes by you increase the volume, the idea being you get used to the thunder
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know it's easy saying it, but it's the lightning that you should be more bothered about.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a fear of lightning and im 40 i dont mind the thunder but like you jazzy you will do yourself more harm than good thinking about it all the time. The worst thing you can do is check the weather forcast daily because that will just set you off. As others have said here go to your Gp and see what he says also occupy yourself listen to some music. The chances of lightning hitting you inside the house are very small indeed. You have a fear so your best bet is go to the Doctor.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Scared of thunder & lightening too!😱 I'd hate to be in a plane or in our house in Turkey when they have storms! They have had days of them since last week too!😧
    They do wake me up at night even here! I hate police helicopters circling aswell!:o

Many years ago a thunder bolt hit a church up the road - it had to be knocked down layer / it was about 7.30 am! Since then this hasn't helped me!
  • oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Thunder and lightning are two entirely different things. Fear of thunder is irrational and could probably be helped by therapy.

Not sure about the above as both are caused by the same phenomenon more importantly thunder warns you a storm is close and time to find shelter
    I rather like a 860 mile an hour bang as opposed to a 186,000 miles per second zap
    I live in the country with overhead cables and a few flash banks have killed the modem , telephone and computer