William Hague denies affair with Angelina Jolie

Comments

• CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    I cannot imagine there is a law against saying someone is gay.

No there isn't, but they could probably sue you for libel if they're not gay.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »

That would imply there was something wrong with being gay.
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    That would imply there was something wrong with being gay.

Not necessarily, if you made the argument that people thinking you were gay would affect the public's view of you.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because his former aide was gay doesn't mean he is.

true...but these two were sleeping in the same hotel room
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »

It's a bit confusing to me how someone can sue over that. How exactly can anyone prove they're not gay?
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be interested to see if someone did sue & won a case, then it was subsequently proved they were gay.

Would the person who lost the case be able to sue the person who sued him in the first place, basically because he's a lying t**t?
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see if someone did sue & won a case, then it was subsequently proved they were gay.

Would the person who lost the case be able to sue the person who sued him in the first place, basically because he's a lying t**t?

No, the Mirror didnt get anything back from Liberache
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason Donovan successfully sued The Face magazine for implying he was gay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and here's half the nation thinking Hague batted for the other side....

It is known amongst the Tory faithful that Willy likes to share his bed with men aides to save money expenses and I am a Dutch uncle :p
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    It's a bit confusing to me how someone can sue over that. How exactly can anyone prove they're not gay?

I don't really know how you can prove someone's sexuality, but falsely claiming someone is gay would almost certainly be libel based on precedent.

I think that's unlikely, but it's possible the person who was lying could be done for perjury depending on exactly what they said (not quite the same, but lying during a libel case was what did for Jeffery Archer).
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    true...but these two were sleeping in the same hotel room
    That doesn't mean anything. Shared a hotel room to cut the bill?

What is odd however is Hague appointed an unqualified aide in the first place, whose views on certain issues had differed from his.

Then again the aide might be an expert at his way to the top. Didn't he bag a job at Goldman a few years ago?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »

Was it Tom Cruise that took an ad out in the paper to prove he was straight... which only made me think he wasnt
    Forum Member
    Was it Tom Cruise that took an ad out in the paper to prove he was straight... which only made me think he wasnt

Things like that don't help the public perception, for sure.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't mean anything. Shared a hotel room to cut the bill?

that's exactly the reason Hague gave at the time. And how the nation laughed. A man rumoured to be gay (which Hague was long before this incident) would be better not to share a bed with a gay colleague if he didn't want to fan the flames of the rumours. People might jump to the wrong conclusion. Or to the right conclusion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Just for the record, I am not and never have conducted an affair with Tom Hardy................I will go so far as to put an ad in the Daily Mail stating so
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    that's exactly the reason Hague gave at the time. And how the nation laughed. A man rumoured to be gay (which Hague was long before this incident) would be better not to share a bed with a gay colleague if he didn't want to fan the flames of the rumours. People might jump to the wrong conclusion. Or to the right conclusion.

Yep, it was all hushed up rather quickly as well if I remember, whatever happened worried the Tories enough to muffle it. The sniff of a scandal like that would have had the red tops out in force, married man having an affair with a gay male aide, thats basically The Sun's wet dream so it puzzled me at the time they seemed to accept the expenses argument. An extra (inexperienced) aide, that shares your room, that's openly gay and quits just as the scandal breaks, too much coincidence for me :p
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see my thread is alive and well. Please keep posting to keep it alive!
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have thought he would be more 'interested' in her husband
  • MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Hague's history, I would think he's absolutely delighted to be linked with the hottie that is Angelina. Don't think even Max Clifford could have spun that one any better for him lol.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Worsley, his sister, has often vouched for his hetero credentials.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Lucy Worsley, his sister, has often vouched for his hetero credentials.

What the historian woman is his sister?

She's gone down in my estimation now!
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the historian woman is his sister?

She's gone down in my estimation now!

I think someone is pulling your leg.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Hmmm....denying something which no-one suspects or would believe. What kind of political move is this?
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can a person sue if someone implies they are heterosexual? If not then the implication is that being gay is lesser.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and here's half the nation thinking Hague batted for the other side....

And by nation do you mean a few half wits on digital spy?
    I thought so.