Wedding dress advice

Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
Forum Member
Hi everyone im looking for a bit of advice, im getting married soon and have just decided that i would like a wedding dress.

We are tying the knot on holiday (vegas wedding) and since it was just the two of us we were going to just do something casual and wear jeans and tshirts. However ive been thinking that i would like to wear a dress just so i dont look back one day and wish i had.

Im thinking of something this style http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251549361954?var=550454238459&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Its not my first choice of style but i need something that isnt too dressy as we plan on being out and about so i need something comfortable that i can walk in. Plus its less in your face than wearing a full ball gown.

What could i wear with it? Im not sure if the ribbon comes with it, but ive seen them available in different colours so i might buy one seperately when i decide what colour i like.

My oh would like to be smart casual so wont be wearing a suit. I dont want to look over the top but still want to feel pretty.

Obviously with the dress being that length i wont be wearing white stockings, but could i get away with skin coloured ones? I was thinking of a veil just for the actual wedding and the photos but they can be easily removed after. Also thinking of a lace bolero to wear incase it gets cool plus im not keen on my shouders and back being exposed so that kills two birds with one stone! Ive only seen that style worn with high heels but flats would be ok wouldnt they? Also would i need something under it to give it the volume at the bottom?

As you can see i have no clue when it comes to fashion!

Comments

• eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all - congrats on getting married!

I think a tea-length wedding dress is the right way to go for a Vegas wedding as it won't look OTT and it will be cool to wear. Tan or skin stockings will be fine. You can buy petticoats off e-bay - a lot of e-bay stores have a range of lengths and styles, like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Styles-Bridal-Petticoat-White-Wedding-Dress-Crinoline-Slips-Underskirt-/281231765848?pt=UK_Bridal_Accessories&var=&hash=item417ab83158

If you don't want a dress that screams I'M A WEDDING DRESS, then consider something halter neck or with sleeves: http://firstwedd.com/spring-2014-wedding-dresses-by-tobi-hannah/ (I really like the 1st and 3rd one down) and avoid classic white (which is bright white!). Ivory, oyster, pearl, even subtle gold or pink tones could look lovely.

A bolero would look lovely, but I think a shrug or wool bolero would look lovely too, and perhaps more casual than a lace top:
    http://reviews.bhldn.com/4501-en_us/24418881/bhldn-subdued-bolero-reviews/reviews.htm

For shoes... tea dresses seem to be worn with heels in most photos, but you could look for some kitten-heeled sandals. You really need to try on the shoes and the dress together, to make sure you're happy with how everything looks.

I love birdcage veils: http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/lilybella/product/classic-bird-cage-veil
    I think you could wear this for the ceremony and keep it on for the rest of the day - plus it would look great if you decide to wear a knee-length 1950s style dress! If that won't suit, you want a finger-tip or chapel length veil (they are the shortest ones) which can be bought preloved for pennies.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your advice. I will keep a look out for similar dresses! I did find one similar to what i posted but it had like a sheer see throughy type top to it with capped sleeves. Its hard to describe but it looked nice. Basically the dress i posted but the back and chest area were semi covered. Kind of like the first picture in the link you posted.

Im trying to do it as cheap as possible hence ebay so im a bit restricted but i dont want to go overboard!
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a Vegas wedding, just the two of us and part of the fun was being out and about in our wedding clothes. I wore a full on wedding dress and after the wedding I went drinking cocktails in it, went out for our wedding meal in it, played poker in it etc etc - and I'm so pleased I didn't get changed! People were sending glasses of champagne over and it was nice being the centre of attention because of the clothes, lolol! It wasn't a big meringue but it was a strapless wedding dress with beading and a small train.

Don't feel it can't be too dressy because you're going to be out and about, anything goes in Vegas :)

Are you having an Elvis wedding?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice. I will keep a look out for similar dresses! I did find one similar to what i posted but it had like a sheer see throughy type top to it with capped sleeves. Its hard to describe but it looked nice. Basically the dress i posted but the back and chest area were semi covered. Kind of like the first picture in the link you posted.

Im trying to do it as cheap as possible hence ebay so im a bit restricted but i dont want to go overboard!

I know exactly the style you're describing - I drive past a bridal shop every day and I was drooling over a dress with sheer material on the top of the bodice, which was covered with tiny diamonds like a necklace.

Are you willing to look at second-hand dresses, rather than ordering them new from China? There are some real bargains to be had... I'll see if I can find some.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-tea-length-ivory-lace-tulle-wedding-dress-/331240985536?pt=UK_Wedding_Dresses&hash=item4d1f8053c0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lou-Lou-LB19-Ivory-Tea-Length-Vintage-Style-Wedding-Dress-/400730873213?pt=UK_Wedding_Dresses&hash=item5d4d6bdd7d

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-Maggie-Sottero-Midgley-Tea-Length-Vintage-Wedding-Dress-14-16-18-/161345470299?pt=UK_Wedding_Dresses&hash=item2590f07f5b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ivory-Tea-Length-Wedding-Dress-18-20-/131218540304?pt=UK_Wedding_Dresses&hash=item1e8d3c0710

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sweet-Pea-wedding-dress-14-Charlotte-Balbier-tea-length-ivory-lace-RRP-1200-/251559001856?pt=UK_Wedding_Dresses&hash=item3a9215bf00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Justin-Alexander-8555-Tea-Length-Wedding-Dress-/271530398597?pt=UK_Wedding_Dresses&hash=item3f38791385

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Justin-Alexander-8555-Tea-Length-Wedding-Dress-/271530398597?pt=UK_Wedding_Dresses&hash=item3f38791385

I so wish I worked in a wedding shop. :D

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that any of the above are bargains!
    Forum Member
    We had a Vegas wedding, just the two of us and part of the fun was being out and about in our wedding clothes. I wore a full on wedding dress and after the wedding I went drinking cocktails in it, went out for our wedding meal in it, played poker in it etc etc - and I'm so pleased I didn't get changed! People were sending glasses of champagne over and it was nice being the centre of attention because of the clothes, lolol! It wasn't a big meringue but it was a strapless wedding dress with beading and a small train.

Don't feel it can't be too dressy because you're going to be out and about, anything goes in Vegas :)

Are you having an Elvis wedding?

Hi, we are planning a drive through wedding as oh has always wanted to drive an american muscle car so we are looking to hire a convertible for the day and get hitched in a drive through.

I found one with optional elvis so we are thinking about it. It seems right for a vegas wedding! Im only thinking of a dress now because this drive through has a photographer to take pictures of the ceremony and whatever you want afterwards if you want some out of the car. Thats made me think i might as well go all out weddingy so the pictures look good :D

I dont mind people looking at me as it does seem fun, but as we dont know for sure what we will be doing on the day ive opted for a short dress. Oh wants to drive through the desserty bits so if thats the same day i dont want to be wearing a big puffy dress! And i dont usually wear dresses so even just walking down the strip and going in restaurants would be a challenge for me in a long dress!

Eluf (i dont know how to multiquote!) im searching for wedding dresses on ebay because its cheaper, not ruling out second hand or anything. That picture i used was an example, ive seen a few like it.

I dont mind where it comes from but ideally im looking at cheapness. I know the china ones wont be good quality but as i only plan on wearing it once i dont mind if it falls apart afterwards!

Eta i like the last dress on your last post! If only it was cheaper :D i looked into hiring a dress once im there (someone i know did that and recommended it) but it just seemed expensive, i think the complete set was over $300 was the cheapest i found. Plus you then have to spend part of your holiday trying them on etc so i thought i would just buy a dress to take with me.

Originally i thought of any highstreet stores but their white dresses were about £50-£60 and didnt look weddingy. Buying a cheap one online i think is ok because i know not to expect something brilliant but it would be sufficient. The first plan was jeans and tshirt so anything is going to look better!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I originally thought I wanted a tea length dress but when it came to dress shopping I opted for a proper wedding dress. It wasn't a puffy meringue but it was certainly a wedding dress.

Another option would be to look at bridesmaid dresses, that seemed to be a popular alternative when we were in Vegas. There really was the whole spectrum of wedding outfits. We ended up looking quite traditional really.

We had an Elvis wedding, we felt it had to be done and have no regrets.
    Forum Member
    I originally thought I wanted a tea length dress but when it came to dress shopping I opted for a proper wedding dress. It wasn't a puffy meringue but it was certainly a wedding dress.

Another option would be to look at bridesmaid dresses, that seemed to be a popular alternative when we were in Vegas. There really was the whole spectrum of wedding outfits. We ended up looking quite traditional really.

We had an Elvis wedding, we felt it had to be done and have no regrets.

My dream dress would be a maggie sottero full length lace mermaid dress. I tried to find a picture but couldnt find the exact one, i saw it a while ago.

If i was having a traditional wedding id go for something like that. My main thinking behind a shorter dress was if we did drive into the desert im sure they dont have toilets. So i would need something i could easily wee in if i was cut short! Sorry if that thought is a bit graphic but thats the kind of things im thinking about!

Since the wedding is just part of the holiday i dont really want to be spending lots of money on a dress and then paying extra for it to be flown there and back. Id rather stick to something practical that i can fit in a suitcase.

I will probably change my mind nearer the time. Only last month i was trawling the net for black dresses to be different! But then i do want to stand out as a bride so swayed back to white/ivory!
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That first one is nice!

Yes but I noticed it was limited sizes only.
    Try looking on Gum Tree as well.
    How old are you if you do not mind me asking, that may help others find a dress for you online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I envy you - I loved looking at wedding dresses (although ironically I ended up buying the very first one I tried on!)
    If you're going out into the desert you don't want anything too expensive that will get too creased or stained. And I can understand now why flat shoes are a must - it's near impossible to walk on sand in heels.
    Please let us see the final dress you choose.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was just going to suggest BHS as well, they have quite a few shorter wedding dresses.I think they have a sale on at the moment as well.
    Forum Member
    That bhs one is quite nice. We have a store in town so i shall have a look. We also have a few shops that sell evening dresses and prom type dresses so i might see if anything like that sells something that catches my eye.

For the person that asked, im 25 and i would say about size 12 but a bit conscious of my body so i wouldnt like anything too tight. Its another reason why i thought of a bolero or a dress which has a sheer top maybe even cap sleeves.

What im hoping for overall is a dress which looks like a wedding dress and is practical. I also dont want too much as my oh doesnt like the thought of wearing a suit or a tux so i need a dress that wouldnt look too out of place next to him smartly dressed.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Topshop one.
    http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/dresses-442/daisy-lace-v-neck-dress-3064619?bi=1&ps=20
    Another one.
    http://www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/dresses-442/sweetheart-neckline-mesh-panel-skater-dress-by-rare-2756482?refinements=Colour%7b1%7d~%5bwhite%5d&bi=41&ps=20

Infact they have a lot of dresses there that may be worth looking at.
    You could wear a different coloured bolero top and match it up with low heels or pumps.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That bhs one is quite nice. We have a store in town so i shall have a look. We also have a few shops that sell evening dresses and prom type dresses so i might see if anything like that sells something that catches my eye.

For the person that asked, im 25 and i would say about size 12 but a bit conscious of my body so i wouldnt like anything too tight. Its another reason why i thought of a bolero or a dress which has a sheer top maybe even cap sleeves.

What im hoping for overall is a dress which looks like a wedding dress and is practical. I also dont want too much as my oh doesnt like the thought of wearing a suit or a tux so i need a dress that wouldnt look too out of place next to him smartly dressed.

We attended friends' wedding in Vegas and went for smart casual. My husband had a neutral linen suit, but paired it with a leopard print shirt, which we thought was fun. That way he could throw off the jacket later and he was just wearing linen trousers and a short sleeved shirt. It's just a thought, but it will enable you both to be comfortable, but to also have a "wedding photo" look that you can keep and frame.
    Forum Member
    Has anyone ever worn a dress this style before?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-White-Ivory-Lace-Mermaid-Wedding-Dress-Ball-Gown-Stock-Size-6-8-10-12-14-16-/290941596271?pt=UK_Women_s_Dresses&var=&hash=item43bd78726f

Thats my dresm dress style but i initially ruled it out because of the length. I assumed when you walk you would always be standing on the front bit. Or do they flow once you wear them?

I keep looking at practical dresses but cant stop thinking about the style i really like. Would you need to wear a hoop or petticoat type thing with that style and could you wear flat shoes?

I know i said i was looking at short but now im undecided!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hello Tt88,

Congrats on getting marry.

Please suggest you some websites where you can choose your perfect wedding dress.

Justin Alexander - http://www.justinalexanderbridal.com/signature_wedding_dresses

Sincerity - http://www.sinceritybridal.com/new_arrivals

Modcloth - http://www.modcloth.com/shop/vintage-wedding-style

Mirraw.com - http://www.mirraw.com/store/wedding-lehengas-bridal-lehenga

Best wishes,
    Marissa Dsilva
    Forum Member
    Ok another question.

If i buy a dress that requires a petticoat to keep its shape, do i need to add extra height ti my measurements to allow for the petticoat?

I wouldnt want to order a dress that fitted my height but when a petticoat is worn with it ends up a few inches short.

Or wouldnt a petticoat affect the length?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Ok another question.

If i buy a dress that requires a petticoat to keep its shape, do i need to add extra height ti my measurements to allow for the petticoat?

I wouldnt want to order a dress that fitted my height but when a petticoat is worn with it ends up a few inches short.

Or wouldnt a petticoat affect the length?

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

If you are wanting a wedding dress, like the fishtail one you mentioned earlier, I would go to a wedding dress shop to try some on and they will also give you lots of advice on travelling with your dress. If you require a hoop or petticoat then you would need one that will fold small enough for travel.

When I got married I didn't want a 'proper' dress until I went shopping....... :)
    Forum Member
    Hannah1982 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

If you are wanting a wedding dress, like the fishtail one you mentioned earlier, I would go to a wedding dress shop to try some on and they will also give you lots of advice on travelling with your dress. If you require a hoop or petticoat then you would need one that will fold small enough for travel.

When I got married I didn't want a 'proper' dress until I went shopping....... :)

Ive found some online that claim to fold down specially for suitcases.

The problem with a shop is that youre obliged to buy from them and im not willing to pay shop prices for something thats worn once and nobody except myself and oh will see in real life! I dont want the thought of trying on a gorgeous dress and then not being able to afford it.

I just have visions of me getting a dress whats the perfect length but when i put the petticoat on its hanging round my ankles!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive found some online that claim to fold down specially for suitcases.

The problem with a shop is that youre obliged to buy from them and im not willing to pay shop prices for something thats worn once and nobody except myself and oh will see in real life! I dont want the thought of trying on a gorgeous dress and then not being able to afford it.

I just have visions of me getting a dress whats the perfect length but when i put the petticoat on its hanging round my ankles!

I transported my dress in the medium travel box shown in the link. The boxes are acid free and they provide lots of acid free tissue paper. My dress was crease free when I took it out of the box in Vegas. It's now stored upstairs in the same box. They have lots of pretty designs, mine is gold with pink flowers. I had no problems getting the dress in the box.

http://www.emptybox.co.uk/products/wedding-travel-boxes/
    Forum Member
    I transported my dress in the medium travel box shown in the link. The boxes are acid free and they provide lots of acid free tissue paper. My dress was crease free when I took it out of the box in Vegas. It's now stored upstairs in the same box. They have lots of pretty designs, mine is gold with pink flowers. I had no problems getting the dress in the box.

http://www.emptybox.co.uk/products/wedding-travel-boxes/

Do you take that as your carry on instead of a bag? Sounds like a good idea but i dont know if a petticoat and dress would all fit in it!

Although im basing that on the size of the box my mums dress from the 80s fits in! I doubt that box would even fit her sleeves in :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you take that as your carry on instead of a bag? Sounds like a good idea but i dont know if a petticoat and dress would all fit in it!

Although im basing that on the size of the box my mums dress from the 80s fits in! I doubt that box would even fit her sleeves in :D

Yes, I took it on as hand luggage. I was surprised at how easily my dress fitted in it. If it's not a big puffy meringue, it should fit in something like that just fine.

The only trauma I had was when I was picked out to be searched when we were getting on the plane and they wanted to rifle through my meticulously packed dress. I had a bit of a cry :cry: