Options

Prescott: The Class System and Me BBC2

slappy101slappy101 Posts: 672
Forum Member
✭✭
been looking forward to this anyone watching you may need your tv on widescreen ;);)

Comments

• Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His wife seems like a ghastly social climber.

& he used to be very good looking:eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am liking John more and more during this. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like him more too :o
    He's quite sweet
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that chav girl should get her own show, brilliant,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    He hasn't got a clue. I find it hard to dislike him personally but it makes me shudder that this man would have been in charge of the country if Tony Blair had met a grisly end.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought his wife came across as lovely. Still not made my mind up about John though.
    Loving the fact that he openly admits to not liking Cherie.

Loving the London lass who doesn't know who Gordon Brown is!
    ....and thinks she's middle class, but can't be working class because she hasn't got a job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imus wrote: »
    He hasn't got a clue. I find it hard to dislike him personally but it makes me shudder that this man would have been in charge of the country if Tony Blair had met a grisly end.

Hasn't a clue, why?
  • Options
    ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gracie101 wrote: »
    I am liking John more and more during this. :)

Hey same here !!
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was bad mannered, blinkered rude and boorish.

He was rude to people he'd decided in advance he wasn't going to like, and thought those girls from S. London, were delightful young ladies.

He couldn't understand why the one who hit a teacher couldn't get a job.

He also seemed to be totally out of touch with what went on in the working class.

He wasn't made deputy prime minister because of ability, it's because Tony wanted to throw a sop to old Labour.

What an odious man !
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A rather peculiar chap

Those slappers were awful though
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I thought his wife came across as lovely. Still not made my mind up about John though.
    Loving the fact that he openly admits to not liking Cherie.

Loving the London lass who doesn't know who Gordon Brown is!
    ....and thinks she's middle class, but can't be working class because she hasn't got a job.

I don't know about his wife, she's a bit 'Old School' working class, if people come round it's best china and put on a front, best behaviour, mind your P's and Q's.
    The Dinner at the Lord's house would have been interesting if they's showed more of it.

Oh dear those 3 girls, that was painful.
    That's why I don't watch voxpops or reality talent shows, the embarassment is just too much.
    'My dad votes for them, don't know what they're called now, the BNP's'
    She had something about her, even if she was saying the right things for the cameras, she must be intelligent to know what to say.
    The other two, I don't know, overwhelmed possibly.

Those 2 upper class guys didn't get the point or John didn't quite spell it out to them.
    Go to the right School and your CV goes to the top of the pile and you'll get an interview, birds of a feather flock together.
    I'd like to know why the Army is paying for an Officers child to go to private school, can't remember if it was 3/4 or a 1/3 that the army was paying for.
  • Options
    LakeukLakeuk Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seemed the programme mainly showed Presott not been confertable in himself.

Programme made it clear that no one knows what the distinction in class should be although Presott seems to think there's a distinction
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I thought he was bad mannered, blinkered rude and boorish.

He was rude to people he'd decided in advance he wasn't going to like, and thought those girls from S. London, were delightful young ladies.

He couldn't understand why the one who hit a teacher couldn't get a job.

He also seemed to be totally out of touch with what went on in the working class.

He wasn't made deputy prime minister because of ability, it's because Tony wanted to throw a sop to old Labour.

you a tory by any chance?:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    [
    QUOTEI'd like to know why the Army is paying for an Officers child to go to private school, can't remember if it was 3/4 or a 1/3 that the army was paying for.[/QUOTE]

Just to put the record straight, which the BBC should have done, the boarding school allowance is not only paid to officers. My daughter qualified for this money and her dad is not an officer.

"BSA is provided to enable the children of Service Personnel to have continuity of education that would otherwise be denied in the State sector because of the need to accompany the Service parent on postings at home and abroad

Eligibility
    Parents – Basic eligibility is that Service personnel must be serving married accompanied, and not within 12 months of discharge or, in the case of separated, divorced or widowed personnel, have care and control of the children.
    Children – Basic eligibility is that the child must be between the ages of 8 and 18 and undergoing full time education at a Boarding School included on the MOD’s Accredited Schools Database. "
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,226
    Forum Member
    I'd like to know why the Army is paying for an Officers child to go to private school, can't remember if it was 3/4 or a 1/3 that the army was paying for.

Did you have a bit of a think before posting that? No, thought not. Army. Move around the world a lot. Would you move your child's school according to world war movements? No. Be realistic. It's not a gravy train, the Army, it's bloody hard work. watch the chip on your shoulder doesn't unbalance you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lakeuk wrote: »
    Seemed the programme mainly showed Presott not been confertable in himself.

Programme made it clear that no one knows what the distinction in class should be although Presott seems to think there's a distinction

Not comfortable in himself of uncomfortable in the place where he's ended up working?
    Fish out of water who thinks everyone 'above' him is looking down on him and having sly digs.

Well class is subjective isn't it?
    As with anything not everyone is going to agree on the definition, even more so when it comes to categorising people.

I certainly wouldn't have put that girl in the middle class bracket.
    I presume her parents are still putting money in her pocket, as she said she wasn't poor and she doesn't NEED to work, so why wouldn't she consider herself middle class?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you have a bit of a think before posting that? No, thought not. Army. Move around the world a lot. Would you move your child's school according to world war movements? No. Be realistic. It's not a gravy train, the Army, it's bloody hard work. watch the chip on your shoulder doesn't unbalance you.

It's alright another FM as clarified the position.
    Maybe you could have tried doing the same.

Yup, I'm the one with the chip on my shoulder. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the feeling that it wasn't so much the animal cruelty that made John Prescott so anti-hunting but what hunting stood for - one of the last bastions of the upper classes.

I have always liked Pauline Prescott (sort of know her through my dad and step mum - I am such a shamless name dropper :o) and the programme made me like her even more. Give that woman her own show. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She's actually a really lovely woman, believe it or not.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    He has one hell of a chip on his shoulder.

Those girls were AWFUL though. "He'll be wondering why he has a black eye in a minute". *shudders*

Well, he is 70!
  • Options
    Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That bloke with all the kids what a lazy ####, it's about time the government only gave benefits for 6 months, if you haven't found a job by 6 months then you will be forced into one, whether you like it or not.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That bloke with all the kids what a lazy ####, it's about time the government only gave benefits for 6 months, if you haven't found a job by 6 months then you will be forced into one, whether you like it or not.

he manages to get Nike stuff for his kids though:confused: :rolleyes: setting a great example for his next generation:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »
    he manages to get Nike stuff for his kids though:confused: :rolleyes: setting a great example for his next generation:mad:

Yeah. What a great example! :(

Can't think of any brand-name clothes my kids have other than Umbro T-Shirts and that was because they were on offer, cheaper than non-brands.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This programme makes my blood boil. John Prescott is such a hypocrite. Grrrr i cant even list the things that make me angry.

He thinks he has intellect.
    He shouts over anyone who disagrees with him.
    so much more.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordie wrote: »
    This programme makes my blood boil. John Prescott is such a hypocrite. Grrrr i cant even list the things that make me angry.

He thinks he has intellect.
    He shouts over anyone who disagrees with him.
    so much more.....

Strange. I actually thought we were actually seeing a good side to him, and could see where he was coming from.