The Ratings Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Yikes, Suspects down to 484k (3.0%) including +1.
  • aberdaberdonianaberdaberdonian Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Are Law & Order doing original stories now as opposed to reworking the US episodes?

according to Wikipedia some of them are still reworks. I guess this makes them a bit cheaper to commission and so they can get away with lower ratings. However having said that, that rating is pretty poor. Especially compared to what it was getting last year and considering a 'dark, grim drama with difficult to follow accents' managed to get almost 2M more viewers yesterday.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    according to Wikipedia some of them are still reworks. I guess this makes them a bit cheaper to commission and so they can get away with lower ratings. However having said that, that rating is pretty poor. Especially compared to what it was getting last year and considering a 'dark, grim drama with difficult to follow accents' managed to get almost 2M more viewers yesterday.

Also disappointing for Law & Order UK as it rated higher last year in the Summer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A consolidated rating of 3.46m for episode 4 of Line Of Duty.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    We may has well have the soap ratings form DS:

Coronation Street topped the midweek soap ratings with the latest developments in Peter and Tina's affair story, overnight figures show.

The Weatherfield drama attracted 7.41m (35.9%) at 7.30pm on ITV and 214k (1.0%) on +1 as Tina left Peter feeling uneasy by putting him under pressure to tell Carla about their relationship.

Emmerdale continued with 6.29m (32.3%) at 7pm on ITV and 190k (0.9%) on +1 as Ross decided to blackmail Pete over his secret relationship with Debbie.

Waterloo Road pulled in 3.16m (14.9%) at 8pm on BBC One as Christine's fate was revealed in the last of the show's current run of episodes.

Hollyoaks interested 845k (4.7%) at 6.30pm on Channel 4 as Freddie told Sinead they should run away with baby Katy, while E4's first look followed with 800k (4.1%) at 7pm and 158k (0.8%) on +1.

Over on Channel 5, Rebecca's Neighbours return appealed to 505k (8.7%) at 1.45pm and 814k (6.0%) at 5.30pm, while Home and Away managed 160k (2.7%) at 1.15pm, 597k (3.6%) at 6pm and 503k (2.8%) for 5*'s first look at 6.30pm.

Elsewhere, the latest episode of Doctors was seen by 1.35m (23.3%) at 1.45pm on BBC One.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a racing person at all but an interesting little statistic in The Guardian - C4's audience for the first day of Cheltenham was 586,000 - down 28% on last year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The space thing on channel 4 was most interesting show last night.

1.7 Mill for Living in Space, a very respectable figure for a niche show.

I agree though, it was the best thing on tv last night.
    Brilliant tv.

Major ouch for Suspects. Why hasn't 5 pulled it yet?:confused:
    Line of Duty is doing fantastic...rising every week
    I'd say thats disappointing for Law and Order
  • Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    1.7 Mill for Living in Space, a very respectable figure for a niche show.

I agree though, it was the best thing on tv last night.
    Brilliant tv.

Major ouch for Suspects. Why hasn't 5 pulled it yet?:confused:
    Line of Duty is doing fantastic...rising every week
    I'd say thats disappointing for Law and Order

They have pulled Suspects, Castle takes its place next week as Suspects takes a mid season break. Although I suspect... We won't see it again with those figures. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have pulled Suspects, Castle takes its place next week as Suspects takes a mid season break. Although I suspect... We won't see it again with those figures. :p
    oh ok,,! Makes sense. Castle should do double if not more in that slot
    Forum Member
    One downside of having telegambling through the night is that things like Suspects can't easily be flung out after midnight as would once have been possible.
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    One downside of having telegambling through the night is that things like Suspects can't easily be flung out after midnight as would once have been possible.

Difficult as the gambling goes on till 3am, but not so long ago they did burn off a programme in that slot (!) - can't remember what it was, Dancc will poss. know/
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Difficult as the gambling goes on till 3am, but not so long ago they did burn off a programme in that slot (!) - can't remember what it was, Dancc will poss. know/
    Blackpool Lights. Fortunately for their ratings, plans to subsequently air it in peak have not yet materialised.

In other news they will air a live special this Friday at 9PM on the missing Malaysian Airlines plane:

http://about.channel5.com/node/1957

And three new crime docs have been commissioned:

http://about.channel5.com/node/1956
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    The drop for the flagship itv channel is likely down to how they're scheduling content and a lack of new programme launches. It has been a pretty quiet start to the year for them and it's no real surprise that they haven't matched last year when they had a lot more going on.
    The main channel schedules for the next couple of weeks look distinctly bare in places. Looks like a July schedule rather than a March one.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. CALL THE MIDWIFE (SUN 2003): 10.65m
    2. CORONATION STREET (FRI 1933): 9.27m
    3. DEATH IN PARADISE (TUE 2100): 8.4m
    4. EASTENDERS (MON 1959)	8.26m
    5. JONATHAN CREEK (FRI 2100): 8.09m
    6. THE VOICE UK (SAT 1859): 8.06m
    7. EMMERDALE (MON 1902): 7.41m
    8. ANT AND DEC'S SATURDAY NIGHT TAKEAWAY (SAT 1859): 7.28m
    9. COUNTRYFILE (SUN 1902): 6.97m
    10. INSPECTOR GEORGE GENTLY (THU 2031): 6.61m

Soap Officials

]Monday 24th February

Coronation Street (19:30) - 9.23m [+690k} (9.41m)
    Coronation Street (20:30) - 9.1m [+830k} (9.37m)
    EastEnders - 8.26m [+760k]
    Emmerdale - 7.41m [+520k} (7.52m)

Tuesday 25th February

EastEnders - 8.17m [+920k}
    Emmerdale - 7.2m [+520k} (7.39m)

Wednesday 26th February

Coronation Street - 8.73m [+1.11m] (9.08m)
    Emmerdale - 7.05m [+540k} (7.25m)

Thursday 27th February

EastEnders - 7.17m [+770k]
    Emmerdale - 6.26m [+590k} (6.62m)

Friday 28th February

Coronation Street (19:30) - 9.27m [+860k} (9.39m)
    Coronation Street (20:30) - 8.45m [+970k} (8.64m)
    EastEnders - 7.56m [+660k}
    Emmerdale - 7.24m [+660k} (7.41m)

Avg. for the week, avg. timeshift:
    Coronation Street - 8.96m, 892k
    EastEnders - 7.79m, 778k
    Emmerdale - 7.03m, 566k

Source: DMN/Barb

Some Irish ratings...

WEEK Mar 3, 2014
    RTÉ ONE 
    1	The Late Late Show	Fri 21:35	592,000
    2	Fair City	Tue 20:00	570,000
    3	The Voice of Ireland	Sun 18:30	557,000
    4	Fair City	Wed 20:00	516,000
    5	Fair City	Thu 20:00	484,000
    6	Fair City	Sun 20:00	469,000
    7	Saturday Night Show	Sat 21:35	455,000
    8	Jigs & Wigs	Thu 20:30	435,000
    9	At Your Service	Sun 20:30	430,000
    10	EastEnders	Thu 19:30	421,000

RTÉ TWO 
    1	RBS Six Nations	Sat	545,000
    2	RBS Six Nations	Sat	343,000
    3	86th Academy Awards	Mon 21:00	298,000
    4	Don't Tell the Bride	Thu 21:35	242,000
    5	RBS Six Nations	Sun	227,000
    6	Revenge	Tue 21:55	209,000
    7	Home and Away	Thu 18:30	170,000
    8	Home and Away	Wed 18:30	160,000
    9	The Hurricane	Fri	155,000
    10	International Soccer Highlights Wed	136,000

• H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointingly low return rating for Law & Order UK, especially considering DCI banks did well. It just seems that slot - unless its a strong drama, just won't rate well. It also shows which dramas can hold up on their own and the ones that can't. Looks to me like L&O UK could end up for the chop. The trailers have been going for long enough - I suspect it has strong crossover with Line Of Duty, so we'll see how high it consolidates.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    The main channel schedules for the next couple of weeks look distinctly bare in places. Looks like a July schedule rather than a March one.

Which is all the more suprising when you consider that they have not exactly had a lot of significant new content on screen so far this year.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Which is all the more suprising when you consider that they have not exactly had a lot of significant new content on screen so far this year.
    They are not in a financial position where they need to hold stuff back, so I'm not sure why they're doing it.
  • M1010DM1010D Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    Sorry if it may have already been mentioned on this thread, but does anyone know what Timeline on Challenge got last Thursday?
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Law and Order UK episodes all being based on the US original episodes has been a factor in its decline. Anyone who watched the US originals knows how they will turn out, which is not good for a whodunnit of any kind. I said this on here years ago that they needed to do original stories. But they haven't. And it is undoubtedly costing them a few viewers now. This week's episode stretched the trial without jury theme somewhat to fit the US story into a UK context.

Just noticed that this exact point is reported in next week's Law and Order : UK preview in Radio Times, where a shock twist is said to be no twist at all if you saw the US episode.

After all these series they have made no real effort with the writing. They could, for instance, have had a crossover with the US series by doing something as simple as bringing in Linus Roache in his DA role from Law and Order and SVU. Let alone allowing Detective Munch to maintain his world record attempt for his character being in most different TV shows. :)
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    EastEnders has a Big week (Starting Mon 24th March) and there's 5 episodes that week.

Thursday 27th airs 7:30pm -8:00pm and then again at 8:30pm-9:00pm

But for some odd reason there is NO BBC 3 repeat at all that week.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Cheltenham hasn't been on the BBC for years - think it's been C4 exclusive at least since the Millennium.

I remember it moved over in 1995, so this is its twentieth year on C4. In fact when it was on the Beeb it was one of the few midweek race meetings to get on BBC1 because it was usually at the same time as the Budget, so on Budget Day CBBC would often have to start after 4pm to fit both in.

The big changes in racing before C4 got it all last year was that, and then when BBC1 got back the Derby in 2001 which I remember at the time was a coscious decision to try and get it a bigger audience because it hadn't been doing much better than any other racing on C4.
    ftv wrote: »
    Endeavour returns to ITV later this month - The Sun

Surely the big news in The Sun today is that the Marks and Gran sitcom with Paul O'Grady and Cilla Black that the Beeb were piloting is now not going to be a series because O'Grady doesn't have the time or energy to do it, apparently he was knackered after the pilot.
    Score wrote: »
    Not a great start for Law & Order. This Wednesday slot just doesn't seem to work for anything. Line of Duty will have dented it too. The 3 crime dramas will all be denting each other.

Funny how the Wednesday slot doesn't work because for a long time that was ITV's best night by miles, BBC1 used to be extremely weak and it's interesting how BBC1 is now pretty competitive on that night without 'stEnders and indeed the millstone of Waterloo Road. I think it illustrates that there's absolutely no need for ITV to simply give up on Tuesdays, they can surely be far more competitive than they are.

Well, there are plenty of 11pm slots. I think the big problem with Suspects has been that it's been on the same night as Line of Duty and totally overshadowed by it. Any other slot would probably have been better. If they'd shown it on Thursdays for example it would have been sitting pretty.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 4 needs to reboot the lineup, The afternoon film should return once the racing is finished and Countdown should swap with Deal and No Deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it moved over in 1995, so this is its twentieth year on C4. In fact when it was on the Beeb it was one of the few midweek race meetings to get on BBC1 because it was usually at the same time as the Budget, so on Budget Day CBBC would often have to start after 4pm to fit both in.

The big changes in racing before C4 got it all last year was that, and then when BBC1 got back the Derby in 2001 which I remember at the time was a coscious decision to try and get it a bigger audience because it hadn't been doing much better than any other racing on C4.

I remember when The Derby was a big thing, close to Grand National levels of interest. That was when ITV showed it.
    Surely the big news in The Sun today is that the Marks and Gran sitcom with Paul O'Grady and Cilla Black that the Beeb were piloting is now not going to be a series because O'Grady doesn't have the time or energy to do it, apparently he was knackered after the pilot.

Ever since his heart problems Paul O'Grady can't do that much work it seems. It's The Generation Game pilot all over again. He was too knackered for that too.
    Funny how the Wednesday slot doesn't work because for a long time that was ITV's best night by miles, BBC1 used to be extremely weak and it's interesting how BBC1 is now pretty competitive on that night without 'stEnders and indeed the millstone of Waterloo Road. I think it illustrates that there's absolutely no need for ITV to simply give up on Tuesdays, they can surely be far more competitive than they are.
    ITV used to own Tuesdays and Wednesdays. When they launched Inspector Morse it brought in feature length drama in the UK and made it really popular. BBC1 could nit compete with it. Now I think unless it's feature length drama it doesn't work on Wednesday at 9pm. A dead night for drama on the main channels.
    Well, there are plenty of 11pm slots. I think the big problem with Suspects has been that it's been on the same night as Line of Duty and totally overshadowed by it. Any other slot would probably have been better. If they'd shown it on Thursdays for example it would have been sitting pretty.
    I watched Suspects and it didn't grab me at all. Last night Line Of Duty's longest scene was an interrogation and was riveting. It was just people at a table and I was more engaged by that than anything I saw in Suspects.
    Forum Member
    M1010D wrote: »
    Sorry if it may have already been mentioned on this thread, but does anyone know what Timeline on Challenge got last Thursday?

It doesn't appear in Broadcast magazine's top 50 ratings on non-PSB channels, so below 290k in the overnights. If it makes Challenge's top 10 officials, it will be on the BARB website on Monday. :)
  • M1010DM1010D Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    It doesn't appear in Broadcast magazine's top 50 ratings on non-PSB channels, so below 290k in the overnights. If it makes Challenge's top 10 officials, it will be on the BARB website on Monday. :)

Oh right, cool. Thanks a lot, I'll have to wait until Monday then :p
This discussion has been closed.