Google Voice UK

ConnorL9382ConnorL9382 Posts: 112
Forum Member
Will Google Voice be coming to the UK in the same shape/form that it is in the USA? Now they've merged with Hangouts, would be great if they rolled out free calling etc to the UK, calling the USA for free is great - shame I don't know anyone out there...

Comments

• natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a Google Voice number since very soon after launch (2011?).
    I would have thought they would have done it already if they were going to.
    It's a shame, I really liked the idea of their service, even if calls cost money!
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how accurate it is but a colleague tells me Google Voice just won't happen here in the UK. This type of service just isn't allowed under the current communications structure in existence here and indeed in many countries outside the US and Canada.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how accurate it is but a colleague tells me Google Voice just won't happen here in the UK. This type of service just isn't allowed under the current communications structure in existence here and indeed in many countries outside the US and Canada.

On what basis? There are plenty of VoIP providers about, some of them offer free calls too.

Everything about Google Voice has already been done in some form over here already, apart from the tight integration with Google services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    On what basis? There are plenty of VoIP providers about, some of them offer free calls too.

Everything about Google Voice has already been done in some form over here already, apart from the tight integration with Google services.

This is actually very true. Perhaps it's more to do with competition. I'll have to all him again to see what he means.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that is unlikely is completely free calls. The rest is already available, as mentioned. I just don't think that Google sees a future for the service.

In the mean time, companies like soho66.co.uk provide enough for most needs.
  • dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    natbike wrote: »
    The thing that is unlikely is completely free calls. The rest is already available, as mentioned. I just don't think that Google sees a future for the service.

The new version of Hangouts - v2.2 on iOS and v2.3 on Android - offers free calls to the US and Canada, though: http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/call-me-maybe-introducing-free-voice.html / https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates?hl=en&p=hangout (it works - I've just called the Apple Store on Fifth Avenue in New York).
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new version of Hangouts - v2.2 on iOS and v2.3 on Android - offers free calls to the US and Canada, though: http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/call-me-maybe-introducing-free-voice.html / https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates?hl=en&p=hangout (it works - I've just called the Apple Store on Fifth Avenue in New York).

That's interesting :D

Were you after an iPhone 6 ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google voice isn't just calls, it's a voice call management service. Inbound calls can ring more than one phone, chain divert, voicemail with speech to text, caller based routing, time based routing. Etc.

If it was just international calls, there are many others which are close to free already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natbike wrote: »
    Google voice isn't just calls, it's a voice call management service. Inbound calls can ring more than one phone, chain divert, voicemail with speech to text, caller based routing, time based routing. Etc.

If it was just international calls, there are many others which are close to free already.

But you can't use it for outgoing calls in UK yet, so not yet a complete call management system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's also born out by the fact that Hangouts hasn't been updated officially in the uk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of hours on and I'm eating my words again insofar as the app is updating OTA here. Received the update about an hour ago and have been looking at it. I have to admit that for the first time in a while I'm totally confused!!! First of all of course as has already been pointed out Google Voice doesn't work (yet) in UK so to be fair the majority of my contact list are probably not in Google circles.

What I have also noticed however is that my contact list only shows one number for each contact!! I do have several contacts with more than one number! So the app still doesn't 'integrate' as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps I'm missing something here about it's true purpose and the direction it's moving in.
    Forum Member
    I think Android L will tie everything together.
  • ConnorL9382ConnorL9382 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I think Android L will tie everything together.

Here's hoping.

Another thing that annoys me is the weak link between Play Music Store and Play Music All Access, it used to say if the album/song was available in All access, now it doesn't. Makes Sound Search pretty cumbersome.
  • WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couple of hours on and I'm eating my words again insofar as the app is updating OTA here. Received the update about an hour ago and have been looking at it. I have to admit that for the first time in a while I'm totally confused!!! First of all of course as has already been pointed out Google Voice doesn't work (yet) in UK so to be fair the majority of my contact list are probably not in Google circles.

What I have also noticed however is that my contact list only shows one number for each contact!! I do have several contacts with more than one number! So the app still doesn't 'integrate' as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps I'm missing something here about it's true purpose and the direction it's moving in.

It is showing multiple numbers here. If you go into a conversation thread from someone with multiple numbers, tap the small SMS icon in the bottom left, then if you don't see all of the numbers for that contact you should have a MORE option you can tap which will then show you all of the numbers for that contact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is showing multiple numbers here. If you go into a conversation thread from someone with multiple numbers, tap the small SMS icon in the bottom left, then if you don't see all of the numbers for that contact you should have a MORE option you can tap which will then show you all of the numbers for that contact.

Yep. Missed that. Not looking properly. Still not a massive step forward for us in UK. :confused:
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With mobile termination rates now having dropped to the level OFCOM mandated a few years ago it's more feasible for Google Voice to come to the UK now, but i'm still not sure it will.

In the US termination rates are, i believe, the same for both landline and mobile and are around $0.01/min.

In the UK mobile termination rates are now around £0.01/min and landline termination rates are lower (last time i looked i couldn't find concrete information but i found a vague statement that indicated £0.003/min but probably at least twice that now due to inflation).

In the US Google could balance the termination fee they received from the incoming call with the cost of the termination fee they paid for the outgoing call they forwarded to the answering phone. They'd still lose money on maintaining the infrastructure and providing the service though.

In the UK if Google gave out landline-style numbers they could balance the termination fees for forwarding to other landline numbers in the same way as the US, but if the call terminated on a mobile number then they'd end up paying 50-100% more than they received.

With the Hangouts integration they could always avoid paying termination fees for mobiles by using the data connection to terminate the call in Hangouts where possible. My guess is that this is the way they'll go if they launch GV here, but it won't happen until they've done a lot more research doing this in the US.
    Forum Member
    Here's hoping.

Another thing that annoys me is the weak link between Play Music Store and Play Music All Access, it used to say if the album/song was available in All access, now it doesn't. Makes Sound Search pretty cumbersome.

And here's hoping that the forthcoming Google Music Key and YouTube Music key will work together effectively. I also hope that they increase the streaming bitrate beyond 320kbps MP3. Deezer and WiMP (using the TIDAL brand name) are launching in the US with 1411kbps WAV streaming - 16-bit/44.1kHz CD-Quality. This is the same fidelity that Qobuz (who are apparently in financial difficulty) use, but they also offer up to 24-bit/192kHz digital downloads. I would hope that one of these services offers the same fidelity for their streaming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you can't use it for outgoing calls in UK yet, so not yet a complete call management system.

Outgoing calls work fine for me. Did you remember to top up?
    You cannot get a UK inbound number, which is why it's not much use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    In the UK mobile termination rates are now around £0.01/min and landline termination rates are lower (last time i looked i couldn't find concrete information but i found a vague statement that indicated £0.003/min but probably at least twice that now due to inflation).

Mobile termination rates are controlled by Ofcom and currently set at 0.67 ppm.

Landline termination rates are not price controlled in the UK.