Options

EE Wifi Calling

Comments

• Options
    Smurf001Smurf001 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Okay, thanks. To me the technical issues of how they connect through the Internet or what it is called are not important. The fact is it's possible to use a mobile phone via the Internet.

Thanks for the suggestions on trying payg SIM cards. I am already aware that none of the networks get a signal in my local area. On a good day EE and Vodafone might just about get a 2g signal.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Smurf001 wrote: »
    My understanding is that with the O2 app you could make calls and receive texts when connected to the Internet, is that not the case?

It is, but it's a bolt on app, like the one from Three, you make calls and receive texts in the app, in the same way you can send messages from WhatsApp.

The wifi calling that is coming (not just from EE) is actually integrated into the OS, so calls are made in the dialler and texts in your messages app. As I undestand, it should even be able to hand a call off to cellular, so you start a call on wifi and then leave the wifi area the call transfers to cellular and continues.

O2 would like you to believe TuGo is the same (probably because their plans for real wifi calling are so far behind the others) but it's a clumsy option when compared to integrated wifi calling.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    It is, but it's a bolt on app, like the one from Three, you make calls and receive texts in the app, in the same way you can send messages from WhatsApp.

The wifi calling that is coming (not just from EE) is actually integrated into the OS, so calls are made in the dialler and texts in your messages app. As I undestand, it should even be able to hand a call off to cellular, so you start a call on wifi and then leave the wifi area the call transfers to cellular and continues.

O2 would like you to believe TuGo is the same (probably because their plans for real wifi calling are so far behind the others) but it's a clumsy option when compared to integrated wifi calling.

Agreed. As I have said it is very clumsy and is not reliable IMO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, it's not very good but at the moment there is no alternative for some of us. All we know about EE wifi calling is that it is coming 'soon' with no idea whether soon is this year or next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, it's not very good but at the moment there is no alternative for some of us. All we know about EE wifi calling is that it is coming 'soon' with no idea whether soon is this year or next.

Of course it's your choice, but the choice is really wait for a period of months at most for the an integrated solution from EE (and probably Three not far behind), or go back to O2 and put up with a clumsy and unreliable bolt on app that isn't that good, possibly for up to a year (or even years knowing O2)...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was reason for starting this topic to see if anyone had any idea when EE wifi calling was going live.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    That was reason for starting this topic to see if anyone had any idea when EE wifi calling was going live.

And the answer is before Christmas...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay, thanks. I guess I have waited this long a few more months won't hurt, especially as you think there will be an announcement in the next couple of weeks.

It's just a shame EE said soon a month or so ago. I guess we all have different understanding of the word soon.

A couple of years ago I had a decent signal but it has gradually got worse and is now practically non existent.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Okay, thanks. I guess I have waited this long a few more months won't hurt, especially as you think there will be an announcement in the next couple of weeks.

It's just a shame EE said soon a month or so ago. I guess we all have different understanding of the word soon.

A couple of years ago I had a decent signal but it has gradually got worse and is now practically non existent.

That's a shame, have you got on to them regarding the signal?

Soon.. is very fluid when introducing a new tech for the first time in a country..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, they have promised me a signalbox a couple of times. I am out of contract now which is why the first person changed their mind. The second person said it did not matter they would send a signalbox anyway, but they did not. I think the problem at the moment is I don't want to sign into a 24 month contract with no guarantee of a signal and they don't want to send me a signalbox unless I sign into a contract.

I think at this point I need to be patient and wait for news on wifi calling to see if that is going to improve things.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    TuGo is really clumsy I can confirm.
    I have set it up for 3 of my customers and it's hit and miss at best.
    In fact I now wish I hadn't set it up as they are now always asking why is isn't working properly.
    (Three's isn't much better, my Brother tried it and his verdict was "crap")
    One of these customers only uses her iPhone in the main large living space which is also where the router is.
    ADSL is about `10 meg and not heavily used, iPhone WiFi signal is 100%
    You can make a call using the app and it's fine (for the duration of the call).
    Then you make another one and it's all crappy with sound dropping out and farting around. Can someone tell me why this is?
    Drove me up the wall trying to diagnose the issue.
    Also, all your missed calls and text messages you did while using the app are in the app not the native dialler or native messaging app.
    This is fine until you go to look for a message and spend 10 minutes trying to find it in messaging only to realise it's in the apps messaging or vise-versa.
    Oh, and the app has to be running in the background to take calls.

Arrrggghhhhhh!!!!!

WiFi calling apps are a bit like the Sinclair ZX81. Sort of OK but what we really needed was the Spectrum!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Anyone know which phones are likely to be supported. Currently have a HTC one m7 and considering an upgrade to a sony z3, considering both the full and compact. Would any of these phones work with wifi calling?

Assuming the z3 is compatible with wifi calling, would a sim free phone with an ee SIM card work, or would it have to be a phone supplied by ee?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    WiFi calling apps are a bit like the Sinclair ZX81. Sort of OK but what we really needed was the Spectrum!

I think they're more like the QL - trying to do too much and failing!!

I suspect this is why EE is taking a lot of time to test, they don't want to release something that 'almost works'. With network native WiFi calling and built in to iOS being seamless this could be a major competitive advance over the others.

This could sort out the people who think the Vodafone SureSignal is the best thing ever ;-)
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am confident that EE wifi calling will be very good and am looking forward to using it as will be a real benefit and a lot better than any of the app based services.

The latest I have heard is the service is in final testing phase with public hotspots and trains working well, just a few issues with certain home broadband providers with routing issues and supplied routers/modems as the service needs to be easy and seamless without end users having to adjust settings on their home broadband equipment to get it to work otherwise EE support will be very busy.

For Vodafone customers they have their own version in the pipeline but is behind EE in rollout with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reviews on TuGo and the update on EE Wifi calling.

Hopefully EE will release more information soon.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uno wrote: »
    I am confident that EE wifi calling will be very good and am looking forward to using it as will be a real benefit and a lot better than any of the app based services.

The latest I have heard is the service is in final testing phase with public hotspots and trains working well, just a few issues with certain home broadband providers with routing issues and supplied routers/modems as the service needs to be easy and seamless without end users having to adjust settings on their home broadband equipment to get it to work otherwise EE support will be very busy.

For Vodafone customers they have their own version in the pipeline but is behind EE in rollout with this.

This actually sounds very interesting. Where did you hear this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic Cottage I have a family member taht works for Vodafone network operations team and friend that works at EE in an office based RAN network role not sure exactly what he does something to do with network mapping and routing,He is very involved in this project something to do with IMS networks ??
  • Options
    ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    uno wrote: »

Would a call initiated on the mobile network handover to Wi-Fi when in range of my home router?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ozz wrote: »
    Would a call initiated on the mobile network handover to Wi-Fi when in range of my home router?

Yes, AIUI, calls can transfer between wifi and cellular depending on signal strength as you enter or leave a wifi zone.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozz wrote: »

Well.... I wonder if they were going to be upgrading the Home Hubs to be femtocells, so it's not actually wifi, it's the home hub broadcasting 4G with VoLTE. then when out of range of the Hubs it just rolls onto EE.

If that's how they were doing it then yes, but that's not strictly wifi, I think they are explaining it that way so that people 'get it' though.
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If one was to use the Internet whilst connected to wifi calling (in standby) would it use the data allowance on the plan or just use the wifi as it would now ?
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignore my post above, I thought I was in the BT thread :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrexham - The EE solution will use wifi for data if connected to broadband as I said previously the product is very near to launch just need to resolve a couple of problems with certain broadband providers and their supplied routers/hubs as some are blocking the services and others you need to go in and change advanced settings. If you read the other BT mobile thread on here they are having similar problems in trying to get their service to work as they want to use Wifi calling through home hubs to reduce EE carriage costs.

Obviously it's meant to an easy to use service without manual configuration and seamless so once they have resolved this I am sure it will launch
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Ignore my post above, I thought I was in the BT thread :blush:

Thank god for that!, for a minute there I thought you'd had your brain erased or an imposter who knew nothing about cellular had hacked your account!!
    Hahahaha