Options

Am I entitled to recompense

Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
Forum Member
✭✭
I went to a show recently. I ordered two upper level tickets for my OH and myself but the studio messed up my ticket order and issued me with separate seats, one for the stalls. Stupidly I never checked the tickets before the show and when we went through to the upper level, the usher told me that I had the wrong ticket. I tried to explain that I had ordered two upper level tickets, but he said there was nothing he could do as the rest of the seats had been taken. So my OH took the stalls and I had the seat in the upper level. I wasn't best pleased to say the least.

Anyway, I have contacted the studio regarding this matter and they are denying any booking system errors or any such thing, but I'm certain I ordered correctly, and why would I order two vastly separate seats without there being an error on their part. Should I be entitled to recompense because otherwise I'm going to have to look into recovering this money by other means.

Comments

• Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seth1 wrote: »
    I went to a show recently. I ordered two upper level tickets for my OH and myself but the studio messed up my ticket order and issued me with separate seats, one for the stalls. Stupidly I never checked the tickets before the show and when we went through to the upper level, the usher told me that I had the wrong ticket. I tried to explain that I had ordered two upper level tickets, but he said there was nothing he could do as the rest of the seats had been taken. So my OH took the stalls and I had the seat in the upper level. I wasn't best pleased to say the least.

Anyway, I have contacted the studio regarding this matter and they are denying any booking system errors or any such thing, but I'm certain I ordered correctly, and why would I order two vastly separate seats without there being an error on their part. Should I be entitled to recompense because otherwise I'm going to have to look into recovering this money by other means.

I doubt it since you admitted to not checking the tickets.

Regardless of the seating arrangements, you did both see the show anyway, so why would you be entitled to your money back? At best, you might be able to get a partial refund as a goodwill gesture. Not sure what you mean by 'other means' but if you are implying some sort of legal action then good luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    I doubt it since you admitted to not checking the tickets.

Regardless of the seating arrangements, you did both see the show anyway, so why would you be entitled to your money back? At best, you might be able to get a partial refund as a goodwill gesture. Not sure what you mean by 'other means' but if you are implying some sort of legal action then good luck!

Oh right, so I have to be ready for the gesture in order to get it. That's something at least. BIB. More like illegal action if they don't give me sufficient notice
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB At a subconscious level when you ordered the tickets - maybe you didn't want to sit next to your OH and it transferred into reality when you accidentally ordered the wrong tickets.

When I go on Ryanair I've 'accidentally' booked seats for me and the OH in different areas:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB At a subconscious level when you ordered the tickets - maybe you didn't want to sit next to your OH and it transferred into reality when you accidentally ordered the wrong tickets.

When I go on Ryanair I've 'accidentally' booked seats for me and the OH in different areas:p

What I'm getting at is I'm due some recompense here, because the ticket issuing company issued me with the wrong tickets. They'll stay quiet and amongst themselves as that's what they're like. They have massive backing from their investors so why should they bother about a nobody couple when they can get away with it. They've clearly ****ed up their ticketing system and in opening their doors to theatre goers they are actually enticing people who are unaware of their issuing methods to part with their money. They are stealing robbing bastards and if I catch them at it again I'll take a Samurai sword to their hands
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I'm getting at is I'm due some recompense here, because the ticket issuing company issued me with the wrong tickets
    I presume that the tickets for different areas cost different prices. The receipt for the card you used to pay for the tickets will show that you paid for 2 tickets in different price ranges, so you got what you paid for.

Unless you have a screen shot of the booking page showing you put 2 in the tickets at xxx price range (instead of a 1 by 2 different price ranges), I doubt you could prove that you requested 2 tickets in the same place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I presume that the tickets for different areas cost different prices. The receipt for the card you used to pay for the tickets will show that you paid for 2 tickets in different price ranges, so you got what you paid for.

Unless you have a screen shot of the booking page showing you put 2 in the tickets at xxx price range (instead of a 1 by 2 different price ranges), I doubt you could prove that you requested 2 tickets in the same place.

What I'm getting at is I was GIVEN two tickets in separate areas. Therefore, I am entitled to get my money back for the difference on the other ticket as we were separated. You can't just give someone two tickets and then pretend that they weren't paid for in the same place
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whenever I order anything on line, I always take a screenshot of the final page with the details on it. Obviously, if you then get a confirmatory e mail, that becomes superfluous. But either way you then have evidence in the event of an issue later.

Organisations these days, will fight like tigers to prove they are not at fault, and only hard evidence will rebut them, whereas 20 odd years ago, they would just hold their hands up, admit it without a fight, and offer an apology. Don't quite know why things have changed but they have.

So you have to be careful every single step of the way.

If you still have the tickets and there was a difference in price between where you had ordered and what you actually got, that is hard evidence.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If the event was nearly sold out there may only have been single seats left when you ordered.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should have received a confirmation of booking e-mail if you did it online. Check that and if it says two upper level seats and you still have the separate tickets they should give you the difference back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    If the event was nearly sold out there may only have been single seats left when you ordered.

Again, why would I order separate seats. Why would I be satisfied with taking my seat in the gallery when my wife has to sit in the stalls.:confused: I must be a complete idiot to be happy with that arrangement and for them to think that I would be is insane, therefore they owe me bigtime.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I'm getting at is I was GIVEN two tickets in separate areas. Therefore, I am entitled to get my money back for the difference on the other ticket as we were separated. You can't just give someone two tickets and then pretend that they weren't paid for in the same place
    My point is, can you prove that you paid for 2 tickets in the same place? Were they different prices ... if so, were you charged for the 2 tickets you requested and given the wrong ones, or were you charged for what you got?
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »

In my experience venues never allow you to book seats in different parts of the auditorium at the same time. You can usually book seats in one area, then try another area and if you get better seats there cancel the first ones. Although the OP's story sounds a bit odd it would be even odder to be sold tickets for completely different sections without being told about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever the whys and wherefores, the bottom line is you are going to have to prove that you ordered two seats together. Can you do that?
    And that only peripherally incudes the argument 'well why would I order seperate seats' - it isn't proof, and it's not for a company to second guess intention. If you didn't actually book two seats together before you pressed send, case dismissed.

I've ordered seats in different areas of an auditorium before, although acceptedly not single ones.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you kick up enough of a fuss maybe they'll offer a refund just to bring it to an end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My point is if they are going to issue two tickets in separate areas then I sure as hell am going to make sure I get the difference back, proof or no proof. They made a foolish mistake in issuing both tickets separately instead of a pair of tickets together.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personal responsibility
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO you have no reason to claim recompense. You not only failed to check the order before it's final placement, together with the amount of the payment debited to whatever card you paid with but then you compound the error by not checking the tickets on arrival.

There is only one person at fault in all of this this and that person is YOU.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My point is if they are going to issue two tickets in separate areas then I sure as hell am going to make sure I get the difference back, proof or no proof. They made a foolish mistake in issuing both tickets separately instead of a pair of tickets together.

You need to wind back slightly to the question several people have asked you...

Did you receive a booking confirmation when you booked the tickets ? What does it say you have actually paid for ?
  • Options
    Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    What I'm getting at is I'm due some recompense here, because the ticket issuing company issued me with the wrong tickets.

No. You're entitled to nothing. You either ordered the wrong tickets, and then you failed to checked when you got your confirmation mail (as you've admitted).
    Quite often the confirmation mail is asking you to double check that everything is as you requested, if not, then to contact them. You did neither so it's all your own fault. :)

They'll stay quiet and amongst themselves as that's what they're like. They have massive backing from their investors so why should they bother about a nobody couple when they can get away with it.

Giving good service is common sense as it begets more custom. No company sits there rubbing their hands together with glee and making 'Mwhahaha' sounds just to piss you off.
    What planet are you on!?
    They've clearly ****ed up their ticketing system and in opening their doors to theatre goers they are actually enticing people who are unaware of their issuing methods to part with their money.

No, they're really not.

They are stealing robbing bastards and if I catch them at it again I'll take a Samurai sword to their hands

I think it's pretty clear that you need help of some kind.
    Get some therapy now!
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    As the OP is refusing to say what his order confirmation actually said I assume he did indeed order the separate tickets without checking the seats were the ones he actually wanted.

If, as seems likely, it was nearly fully booked and the only seats left where single ones then there is nothing wrong with the the website allocating seats in this way. From a UX point of view perhaps there could have been a warning that the seats where not together, but the company has done nothing wrong.

Essentially its all the OP's fault. If he complains he might get some free tickets or something as a gesture of goodwill, but he doesn't actually deserve anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good friend has spent over 19 years complaining about a single sentence in a decision over planning permission which was rejected. It's niggled away all this time, and he never listened to people's advice that perhaps it's best left now.
    Cost him thousands and nearly broke a marriage.
    He even got a new application approved less than two years later without problem. But it's the principle you know. He was just right (actually he wasn't, and it had no actual effect on the result, but that's beside the point to him).

Sometimes things simply aren't worth pursuing. There's a life to live .....
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you have any proof you booked two tickets together? Surely you would have received an email confirming the booking, so what does it say? If you look on your account on the website, is there a booking history you can check? Does the amount of money you paid for the tickets on your bank statement match the face value of the tickets (disregarding booking fees etc)?

If you don't have any proof that the tickets provided were in the wrong place or that there is a discrepancy between the money you spent on them vs face value, you don't really have a leg to stand on. You should have checked the tickets when you booked them.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I receive tickets in the post somewhere it is printed please check details
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm shocked! You made your poor wife sit in the stalls
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've ordered stuff before and it's been wrong but when I go back and check the details it's usually been me at fault plus I've been lax about checking the confirmation details.

Agreed it's hardly likely that you would want to book two separate seats (though I like the Freudian suggestion :D) but imo unless there is proof that you booked what you say you booked, the best you could hope for is a good will payment and definitely not a full refund.