NFC Have you tried it yet?

Comments

• neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I think it will be a lot sooner than that. I read an interesting book recently called "The End of Money", fascinating read (well, listen actually).

Lets be honest, cash is not used anywhere near as much as even five years ago. I keep cash in my wallet but its a card I reach for 90% of the time (or more) and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Cash is still preferred in places like Spain, when I'm living on Gran Canaria most things are paid for with cash but...even that is changing now as more and more shops are starting to take cards.

Some folk knock the UK but we take technology on board a lot quicker than many other countries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Not yet but planning to! :)
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    That much is hardly surprising. When the iPhone first came out, there wasn't much competition. As more competition and models have appeared, and Android has improved, that much is hardly surprising. But even so, the number of iPhone users is still rising, not falling. And if you want to turn it into a pissing competition, there are recent reports suggesting that more people who buy iPhones have previously owned an iPhone compared to first time buyers. If that trend continues, eventually everyone will be a previous owner, which presumably will be happy days for Apple.

I'm not disputing that people found their way around with maps. But you're still ignoring the two fundamental things that GPS can do that maps can't:

1. Tell you where you are.
    2. Provide street level mapping for the whole country.

Road atlases, in case you hadn't noticed, only provide mapping for the whole country at scales of 1:200-300k. Street level mapping is only really available for cities and some towns.

And I don't know why you're going on about FaceTime and iMessage, when no-one is trying to argue anything about them, in the way that is being argued about NFC.

And why do you keep making the mistake of thinking people are talking about NFC in reference to Apple and the iPhone? I don't know why you have this view that everything must somehow revolve around Apple and/or the iPhone. In the case of NFC it has nothing to do with Apple and/or the iPhone, and everything to do with the fact that it just hasn't really caught on yet.

Sounds to me like you are saying the iphone was popular when it had no competition now people can compare they are moving on.

Comparing GPS to maps you are right maps can't do those things nor can anything else transfer files and photos and pay for a coffee. The fundamental use of GPS is navigation which road maps accomplish well and not all phones maps have street view mind ;)

So which argument are you going with here, is not really needed or not used much as you are being very selective in the criteria you think should be included in your definition of "needed" applications on a phone.

You may not be debating in relation to facetime/imessage but I would make the same comparisons between imessage and NFC that you are making, in that imessage is not used much and other apps do a better job so by your criteria it should be removed from phones.

The point I made wasn't about whether it had caught on or not it was the fact whether it should be a feature which you were claiming was pointless. So in that context and using that criteria there any many phone features that are also pointless.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you are saying the iphone was popular when it had no competition now people can compare they are moving on.

Comparing GPS to maps you are right maps can't do those things nor can anything else transfer files and photos and pay for a coffee. The fundamental use of GPS is navigation which road maps accomplish well and not all phones maps have street view mind ;)

So which argument are you going with here, is not really needed or not used much as you are being very selective in the criteria you think should be included in your definition of "needed" applications on a phone.

You may not be debating in relation to facetime/imessage but I would make the same comparisons between imessage and NFC that you are making, in that imessage is not used much and other apps do a better job so by your criteria it should be removed from phones.

The point I made wasn't about whether it had caught on or not it was the fact whether it should be a feature which you were claiming was pointless. So in that context and using that criteria there any many phone features that are also pointless.

I must be missing something here. I use GPS every day in many different ways, and I find it invaluable, heaps more useful than paper. I also have an HTC One, and as an avid early adopter of technology I would use NFC like a shot if I could. However I am still waiting for someone on this forum to actually tell me of some public service where I can use it . I'm not even talking about whether I need it, I would just like to use it.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Good god! What is it with you and your paranoia!! That would be pretty much every hotel then. I haven't seen one who use proper keys for years. Most still use the old swipe cards from Onity but are moving away from them in favour of NFC.
    Why is it paranoid to be secure?
    It does indeed mean it has caught on since huge hotels see value in using it. Offices use them as well now. Hell even supermarkets use them for door entry. If it hadn't caught on, no one would use them. Clearly they are!

I admit it have been a few years since I have been in a hotel, if i go away I normally use guest houses or B and B, better service normally and since they are smaller the are not going to spend or let say waste money on replacing something that don't need replacing.

Keys have been around a long time and strange enough they don't need power to work

Anyway, we are trialling an app for phones so it can be used as the keycard. Some other hotels already have it in place. It should be in within the next 6 months or so all going well. We tested it at ours and it worked fine. Some cheaper phones had a problem with it however. I still use it sometimes if i forget my proper keycard.

i presume you own a hotel or something like that then the way you keep going on We, or you work in one.
    The Holiday Inn at the Olympics used Galaxy S3's to control pretty much everything in the room also using its NFC as the keycard:-

http://www.mobilephonechecker.co.uk/news/olympic-hotels-accept-samsung-galaxy-s3-phones-as-keycard-76402

This was however a trial and it was apparently quite successful.
    but the Olympics was full of sponsors, if they gave enough money they was allowed to do anything, which is why Visa was the only way to pay. Corporate games they should been called.

For now. We have it here on our buses but its only used for the OAP cards just now with a roll out of monthly passes using it this year apparently.

i think the only thing the bus pass have here is a bar code and that is not even used as people just holds it up to show the driver and that is it. Not sure what first Midland Red uses for their day, week or month tickets as we don't have Midland Red around here, they are mainly the other side of the city.

Saying that I tend to walk or cycle most of the time anyway.
    even our Taxis don't take NFC, which is one place you thought they would be useful

So you havent seen the ad on telly from Visa about them launching their app in December then?

http://www.visa.co.uk/en/products/contactless/mobile_contactless.aspx

I don't watch TV.

Launching in December 2013, on compatible handsets. so do that mean handsets they feel like making it work with or all NFC handsets?
    Very little info to be honest, all it says is pay with your handset, do that mean you got to top up a account of some sort now and again or it takes the money for your normal bank account? What banks will support it, what networks will support if it is network specific?

Adverts are no good if they tell people nothing.

It is. Much quicker.

To take it out and unlock i would say it takes the same amount of time to pull your wallet out and take the card out. From there on its quicker. Tap - done.

Take cash from wallet, hand it over, get change done. the thing that slows me down is all the crap that supermarkets give out these days, tokens for this tokens for that, asking if you got a loyalty card.

No, you are right. its not on that box i don't think, can't be arsed finding it, but i think like the S3, S4 it was on the screen protector that came on the phone. The S3 also has it on the box as im looking at one right now for the Mrs S3.

My box is on top of the speaker by the computer, so I knew where it was. Vodafone don't seem to point it out on their phones on their site. I don't think it is something sticks out at people when looking for a phone
    The security is fine. Why do you keep on with this? You can have your card just now cloned just by going into the wrong shop!
    You could, but It is one hell of chance of that happening.

You could lose your wallet with your cash in it or have it pinched from your pocket.

you can, i have not done so for many years, but it is possible.
    Difference there is, if you have your card stolen or lost and someone uses it, you get the money back. Lose your wallet or have it stolen and you are royally humped. No money back. I know which i would prefer.

but you don't normally carry much cash, just enough for what you want, a card have access to all your cash.

i don't trust banks and to be honest I wish I did not have to bother with them, but I do.
    You will soon enough that you can be assured of unless you think of course in a few years Halifax will be the only bank not to use them! Whether you choose to use it is a different matter but you soon wont get any card with it not on it. I do think

Even if the Halifax do give them out next year, i don't think they will be forced onto people. My card at the moment got a five year life span, so if I have another card next year with another 5 year life span with no NFC that will please me.
    within the next 50 years, money in paper and coin form will start vanishing.

How many times have we heard that? Just like the paperless office or the flying car. As for 50 years I don't think it will worry me in 50 years, If I am still around then I will be a very old man.
    You need to stop being so afraid of new technology. Just because you may not see the need for it, others do hence why it's here!

i am not afraid of the technology, but most of it is not to make it easier, most of it is to make rich people even richer.

Also the technology is not the problem, it is the people who gets hold of it and use it against other people.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Most hotels no longer use keys noise so you'd best stay in the safety of your home.

I prefer smaller guest houses than posh hotels.
    Its used on buses throughout Wales these days.

I think you should have realised by now I don't live in Wales.

Older people won't use it lol what a disgusting ageist comment; us 'silver surfers' are often the ones with the disposable income (I have as do many friends of a similar age) and a love of new toys to play with :D

I said a lot of older people, not all. Most older people I know don't know how to set up a PVr, so other technology they will get lost with.

As you hate the idea and will never use it feel free not to comment any further, just give it a rest. :yawn:

you don't have to reply, simple as that.
    Never said i hated the idea, just don't trust them, I find it interesting as i find all technology interesting, but it don't mean i want to use it.

Strange really as when I was younger I used to want every bit of technology I could afford, these days I rather not bother with any of it.
    Maybe I have seen what it is doing to us.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »

And what is it doing to 'us'?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Why is it paranoid to be secure?

The way you go on about any new tech shows your paranoia. Its stupid.
    I admit it have been a few years since I have been in a hotel, if i go away I normally use guest houses or B and B, better service normally and since they are smaller the are not going to spend or let say waste money on replacing something that don't need replacing.

Keys have been around a long time and strange enough they don't need power to work

They do and have. It's called progress. Something you need to learn and understand.
    i presume you own a hotel or something like that then the way you keep going on We, or you work in one.

I work in one. We, as in my work.
    but the Olympics was full of sponsors, if they gave enough money they was allowed to do anything, which is why Visa was the only way to pay. Corporate games they should been called.

What's that got to do with anything!! It also was not the only way to pay.
    i think the only thing the bus pass have here is a bar code and that is not even used as people just holds it up to show the driver and that is it. Not sure what first Midland Red uses for their day, week or month tickets as we don't have Midland Red around here, they are mainly the other side of the city.

Saying that I tend to walk or cycle most of the time anyway.
    even our Taxis don't take NFC, which is one place you thought they would be useful

Ours can take debit card payments but no NFC yet.
    I don't watch TV.

What a surprise.....not.....
    Launching in December 2013, on compatible handsets. so do that mean handsets they feel like making it work with or all NFC handsets?

Your kidding me right!! :D

Compatible handsets = ones that have NFC in them.....

Very little info to be honest, all it says is pay with your handset, do that mean you got to top up a account of some sort now and again or it takes the money for your normal bank account? What banks will support it, what networks will support if it is network specific?

Again, are you kidding me? No. It comes off your card like a debit card payment does. NO topping up. It will work with ANY Visa card.....Banks would have nothing to do with it...
    Adverts are no good if they tell people nothing.

Oh dear god....
    Take cash from wallet, hand it over, get change done. the thing that slows me down is all the crap that supermarkets give out these days, tokens for this tokens for that, asking if you got a loyalty card.

Tap card. Done = quicker. And rememeber, you have to get that cash first!!
    My box is on top of the speaker by the computer, so I knew where it was. Vodafone don't seem to point it out on their phones on their site. I don't think it is something sticks out at people when looking for a phone

You don't think? So you have no idea really and are just dismissing this because you dont like it?..
    You could, but It is one hell of chance of that happening.

Haha! How naive are you! That happens a lot!!
    you can, i have not done so for many years, but it is possible.

Indeed and happens a lot. I lost my wallet many years ago with my entire wages in it when i used to get paid in cash many many years ago. Now i never carry so much cash on me. If in fact any.
    but you don't normally carry much cash, just enough for what you want, a card have access to all your cash.

I take no cash normally and pay everything with my card. Simple.
    i don't trust banks and to be honest I wish I did not have to bother with them, but I do.

Why does this not surprise me either. What do you think they are going to do. Run away with your cash?!!!
    Even if the Halifax do give them out next year, i don't think they will be forced onto people. My card at the moment got a five year life span, so if I have another card next year with another 5 year life span with no NFC that will please me.

They will be replaced with card that have NFC in them. What part of this dont you understand?! You honestly think they will make 2 versions of each card to satisfy people as paranoid as you? Again, just don't use it!
    How many times have we heard that? Just like the paperless office or the flying car. As for 50 years I don't think it will worry me in 50 years, If I am still around then I will be a very old man.

Would you mind if i asked how old you are?
    i am not afraid of the technology, but most of it is not to make it easier, most of it is to make rich people even richer.

Also the technology is not the problem, it is the people who gets hold of it and use it against other people.

Yes you are. Worryingly so in fact. You are so paranoid in fact, it's a wonder you ever leave your house!!!
    Forum Member
    I prefer smaller guest houses than posh hotels.

:D

Why?
    I said a lot of older people, not all. Most older people I know don't know how to set up a PVr, so other technology they will get lost with.

If they are like you i'm not surprised!
    you don't have to reply, simple as that.
    Never said i hated the idea, just don't trust them, I find it interesting as i find all technology interesting, but it don't mean i want to use it.

Strange really as when I was younger I used to want every bit of technology I could afford, these days I rather not bother with any of it.

Now, i never normally use these sayings but:-

WTF? and lolwot???!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^

Stiggles, I don't want to quote your entire post and have to delete most of it, so apologies for not quoting. I was just wondering about your understanding of how the Visa app will work. I would hope it works in the way that you describe, and that no account or wallet system will be required. But will the banks have nothing to do with it? I mean, they're the card issuers and at the moment they decide whether or not to include a contactless option.
    Forum Member
    ^^^

Stiggles, I don't want to quote your entire post and have to delete most of it, so apologies for not quoting. I was just wondering about your understanding of how the Visa app will work. I would hope it works in the way that you describe, and that no account or wallet system will be required. But will the banks have nothing to do with it? I mean, they're the card issuers and at the moment they decide whether or not to include a contactless option.

I dunno to be honest! I'm just in fairness using guesswork.

I think what will happen is Visa make the app to work with their cards, you would put the card number etc in to the app and it would come off like a normal card payment. Since Visa technically process the payment i'm not sure bank authorisation is needed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I dunno to be honest! I'm just in fairness using guesswork.

I think what will happen is Visa make the app to work with their cards, you would put the card number etc in to the app and it would come off like a normal card payment. Since Visa technically process the payment i'm not sure bank authorisation is needed.

Yeah, that's how I imagine/would want it to work. As you know, I have an iPhone so I don't have NFC, but I'm not arguing against it in the way that some people seem to think. I like new technologies and I just want it to become a bit more mainstream and more widely used for things. Having a payment system where you don't need a virtual wallet or to remember to top up is, in my opinion anyway, a step in the right direction.

It'll also be interesting if the smartwatches being developed by Google, Samsung and Apple have NFC in them. It'd be great to pay just by tapping your wrist against the reader and not having to remove anything from your pocket!
    Forum Member
    Yeah, that's how I imagine/would want it to work. As you know, I have an iPhone so I don't have NFC, but I'm not arguing against it in the way that some people seem to think. I like new technologies and I just want it to become a bit more mainstream and more widely used for things. Having a payment system where you don't need a virtual wallet or to remember to top up is, in my opinion anyway, a step in the right direction.

Yeah, i would hope it works like this. Topping up is just a bit daft.
    It'll also be interesting if the smartwatches being developed by Google, Samsung and Apple have NFC in them. It'd be great to pay just by tapping your wrist against the reader and not having to remove anything from your pocket!

The new Sony Smartwatch 2 has NFC in it. No idea if it contains the secure chip to allow payments though. Would be good though!!! Will be buying one when it launches next month :D

Wonder if noise would have an issue with that :D
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    As an iPhone user don't have NFC, but some places are starting to allow payment with PayPal which looks to be a good alternative. Hopefully more places will adopt Pay Pal payments too.
    http://youtu.be/9OFaWQDg3_A
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not so sure that is how it will work. I either expect a wallet type system, or at the very least the requirement for a replacement SIM card for security. I tried to find some info on the visa system, but there is very little out there.

I hope it is direct to card.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which is what exactly?
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »

I'm saying that when there were fewer smartphones to choose from, then obviously each smartphone is going to have a larger share of the market, than if there are lots of smartphones to choose from.

I didn't say anything about moving on, except that the iPhone apparently does better amongst previous smartphone owners than it does amongst new smartphone owners. As it is, with just three phones, Apple seem to have a pretty respectable slice of that market, and their last phone was IIRC the biggest selling smartphone on the market. Apple probably aren't doomed yet.

I don't know why you are winking after mentioning street view. I wasn't talking about street view, I was talking about large scale street level mapping. Do you know much about maps and scales, at all?

I'm pretty sure you can transfer files using bluetooth or email or MMS. I'm pretty sure you can use cash or a card to pay for things, which most people tend to carry with them anyway.

Regarding FaceTime and iMessage, a better comparison would simply be texting or Skype - those are things that are obviously useful to have on a phone.

And no-one said anything about removing features from phones, so not sure what you're wanging on about there. I didn't even say it was pointless. Unless you would like to quote where I said it was pointless?

What I did say was that as NFC hasn't really caught on, that is an understandable reason for a manufacturer not to include it yet. Not quite the same, but then you do have a habit of putting words in people's mouths.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the Galaxy S3 outsold the Apple phone?
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you mean total sales, no, not even close. It outsold the iPhone 4S in one quarter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It outsold it for a single quarter in 2012, I think, when the iPhone 4S had been out for about nine months and the S3 was in probably its second full quarter of sales. I can't recall exactly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was something like that, but android sales overall are greater than Apple phones I would think. Looks like Apple are launching a lower spec phone to try and stop the bleed in sales/market share; will be interesting to see how that pans out. I've gone to Windows phone now but the children and most of their friends are pretty much all using higher end android and not Apple these days... seems iphones are now seen as a bit 'chavvy' (how the heck a phone costing their price can be seen as 'chavvy' is beyond me but youngsters/fashion/image make no sense to me either).

"The UK will have 34 million contactless Visa-branded cards on issue and 175,000 contactless terminals deployed by the end of 2013" http://nfctimes.com/news/report-visa-and-telcos-gearing-nfc-launches-uk
    its a few months old but shows NFC is moving ahead.

Another potential nail in the cash coffin is paypal
    https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/use-paypal-in-stores
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, its true that if you add up all the different Android phones, by all the different manufacturers making them, they sell more phones than Apple do.

The only thing that is surprising, is that that would be surprising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couple of bits of mobile payment/NFC news today...

Samsung has launched its Wallet app in Google Play in the US. It's not NFC-based and is more like Passbook on iOS. Not sure how much traction it'll get considering that companies haven't exactly been rushing to use Passbook up to now:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/09/samsung-wallet-google-play/

And on the NFC front, Google Wallet is ending NFC support for gift and loyalty cads, which seems like a very strange move indeed.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/09/google-drops-loyalty-gift-card-nfc-use/
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Yes, its true that if you add up all the different Android phones, by all the different manufacturers making them, they sell more phones than Apple do.

or just one manufacturer, as I'm sure you well know... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung with their 30+ Android phones? I think the point is still pretty much the same.

10x as many models
    2x the shipments

And Apple still makes more profit than Samsung.

Again, not a pissing contest, just to question the Apple is doomed mantra.