Fading GaGa

Comments

• So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin and Britney had high grossing tours in their peak years.

Since Live Nation became the main promoter, Tours have become a completely different game.

Also MDNA hasn't flopped. Its sold nearly 2 million. For an artist 30 years into their career that is incredible. None of Madonna's peers can do this. Not even Micheal Jackson's last few albums did that well.

Will Gaga still be topping the charts in 2042 like Madonna did in 44 countries with MDNA?

Now I know we're comparing totally different times but that is not in any way true. Invincible - MJ's last album sold 13m WW, slightly more than nearly two...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this thread.

Meow.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'd gone off ga ga until I recently watched some of her live tv performances the other day and remembered how great she was
    I loved the fame monster album she needs another album like that only half of btw was good.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Now I know we're comparing totally different times but that is not in any way true. History - MJ's last album sold 13m WW, slightly more than nearly two...

erm.... This Is It and Michael haven't past two million copies... no spin shite will wash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a Gaga fan, but I think she's played her cards very well by associating with establish rock greats like Elton John and the Rolling Stones. Madonna latching on to fly by night artists like LMFAO and Nicki Minaj is the opposite of what she should be doing.
  • bobtherobbobtherob Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    Not a Gaga fan, but I think she's played her cards very well by associating with establish rock greats like Elton John and the Rolling Stones. Madonna latching on to fly by night artists like LMFAO and Nicki Minaj is the opposite of what she should be doing.

I disagree - by associating with those old crusties Gaga has come across as very..um..transparent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LMAO

Nibbles on popcorn.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of what Lady Gaga is about is her attention seeking antics...wearing a meat dress, dressing as a man, turning up in an egg. I don't have a problem with artists who do this kind of stuff if they have good music and material...otherwise it just seems like they do all of this stuff to attention seek. People like Madonna fall into the same category as Gaga, however Madonna had the music and the material to back up all of her antics back in the day. 30 years into her career and she's recently had the best selling tour of 2012. Madonna was known just as much for her music as she was her off stage antics. With GaGa though, she's had two albums (I know her fans will try and say she's had three :rolleyes:) and in my opinion she's had some really great pop songs, but that's as far as it goes. She's a great singer, but when I think of Gaga I don't think of her as an exceptional singer, an incredible dancer or an amazing performer. With people like Beyonce and Madonna though I do. When I think of Gaga, it's her meat wearing and off stage antics that spring to mind, not really her music. She's only had a couple of albums so obviously things could change, but I very much doubt it. I just see her as an attention seeker with a few really good pop songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    erm.... This Is It and Michael haven't past two million copies... no spin shite will wash.

Oh please you dam well know neither were proper albums (one was a greatest hits soundtrack for a start), both were released after he was dead for god sake. And your wrong about This Is It atleast, it's sold 2.5m (1.2 in 2009 and 1.3 in 2010).

And MDNA has not sold nearly 2m copies. It has shipped that amount. That's like saying Born This Way sold 8m.
  • Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet again she is still a big artist, FAME sold 6 million in one week and TBTWB has been mostly sold out!

BIB- Come on! If your going to make a number up at least make it believable. The tour hasn't been mostly sold out she's had to down-size a few venues and many have only just filled enough to cover the costs. Plus why even bother to make a thread when your having none of anyone elses opinions?

Also MDNA hasn't flopped. Its sold nearly 2 million. For an artist 30 years into their career that is incredible. None of Madonna's peers can do this. Not even Micheal Jackson's last few albums did that well.

Will Gaga still be topping the charts in 2042 like Madonna did in 44 countries with MDNA?

Agreed. And no I don't believe Gaga will. She's a ridiculous human being with her speeches and attention seeking which unless it's changed this will become her downfall as the masses are already tiring of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB- Come on! If your going to make a number up at least make it believable. The tour hasn't been mostly sold out she's had to down-size a few venues and many have only just filled enough to cover the costs. Plus why even bother to make a thread when your having none of anyone elses opinions?

Erm form Billboard themselves ... You know facts ...

6 Lady Gaga
    Total Gross: $124,879,545 / Number of Shows: 65
    Total Attendance: 1,111,099 / Number of Sell-Outs: 65.

And that's with the gross of 60 more dates to be added. It may not be MDNA but it's doing amazingly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    I think her popularity has definitely waned and she is not the biggest popstar on the planet anymore.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,079
    Forum Member
    GaGa's next album will decide it. She can either present herself as a proper, respectable artist or continue to try to "shock" everyone even though she's very predictable these days. "Oh Gaga's done a weird stunt? Lovely."

For the record, I use to think she did a couple of catchy songs; not songs I like but songs I don't particularly mind ie Poker Face. However her newer tracks like Born this Way is terrible self-righteous crap and she comes across as a bit of an arse with the whole "Monsters" thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    I think her popularity has definitely waned and she is not the biggest popstar on the planet anymore.

I do agree she isn't as popular as she once was and obviously Adele is the biggest musical star on Earth, but Gaga's still up there.

Born This Way (Gaga's 'underperforming' album) sold the same as Rihanna's massively successful Loud album, double Talk That Talk, and more than Katy Perry's multi smash Teenage Dream aswell. The Born This Way Ball has also already outgrossed the Loud and Teenage Dreams Tours with nearly sixty dates still to go.

The only area Gaga doesn't really still lead out of the modern girls (if you take Godelle out of the equation as she isn't really a popstar) is singles, which is Katy Perry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobtherob wrote: »
    I disagree - by associating with those old crusties Gaga has come across as very..um..transparent.

Oh, true. You can see that she's up to. Fast-tracking herself into pop fabric history. But it's still very clever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaga just needs to remember that she IS human and IS NOT a monster or someone from another planet!!

All this "Little Monster" stuff & the constant need to be different is annoying as f**k!!
    She needs to continue to make good music, be a human just like you & I....
    The irony is that she's gone so far outside the box that she's alienated people.

On a side note - I'd like to be a fan of Gagas music without her deciding I should be known as a "Little Monster" GrrrrR
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I dont think shes fading just passed her peak. She has her following.... for now another 3 years i doubt she will be relevant
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Thing is, she caters mainly to her fans now and not to the general public - it's not a bad thing. It seems ARTPOP will be going back to The Fame/Monster roots though, in the sense of just club-heavy radio friendly tracks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    BIB- Come on! If your going to make a number up at least make it believable.

That figure has been reported in a few places, but I'm still not entirely sure. It is the second best selling women's perfume in the UK this year though. I imagine we'll get the confirmed sales after christmas...

Regarding the OP, people have been saying this since she arrived but really, it's impossible to know. 'Haters' have been trying to paint her as a flop since BTW, but the truth is:
    BTW has just past the 7 million sales mark (as confirmed by Universal) - The Fame and The FM sold 15 million combined which means when averaged out, BTW is pretty much even with each one. So if she's lost a lot of fans with that album, she sure gained a lot too apparently. Everything about the album was excessive and hard to swallow for the type of people who lapped up Poker Face, Telephone et al. but for me, and many others, it's proven that she has more talent and creativity in her little finger than the rest of the pop girls at the moment. Having a few massive hit songs like Katy Perry only guarantee's longevity for those songs, not for her as an artist.
    Also, The BTW Ball is set to surpass The Monster Ball in half the number of shows, giving her another top 15 entry into the highest grossing tours ever. This type of thing isn't a common occurrence - looking at the top 40, it's all established acts that have had decades to build up a fanbase (bar Coldplay and Britney at 28 and 33). And this is after four years and only one previous tour!

People will use her fans overestimations of what she can achieve to justify their dislike for her, but at the same time, they themselves completely underestimate her imo. If she does become a fading star in the next few years, she burnt very brightly indeed :cool:
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Around the time of TFM she was the biggest music act around but I think the novelty is wearing off after BTW. Her tour is doing OK but she isn't doing as well as most would've expected and I think she's fallen behind the likes of Taylor Swift and Rihanna now. ARTPOP will be crucial but if Cake and Bitch Don't kill the vibe are anything to go by then I'm not expecting much
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I do agree she isn't as popular as she once was and obviously Adele is the biggest musical star on Earth, but Gaga's still up there.

Born This Way (Gaga's 'underperforming' album) sold the same as Rihanna's massively successful Loud album, double Talk That Talk, and more than Katy Perry's multi smash Teenage Dream aswell. The Born This Way Ball has also already outgrossed the Loud and Teenage Dreams Tours with nearly sixty dates still to go.

The only area Gaga doesn't really still lead out of the modern girls (if you take Godelle out of the equation as she isn't really a popstar) is singles, which is Katy Perry.

F.Y.I

"Born This Way" sold 5.4 million copies worldwide - a lot of that was shipments too. The album has only been certified 2x platinum in the USA and the sales elsewhere weren't particularly high - USA being her biggest market aswell.

Furthermore, "Loud" sold roughly 6 million copies worldwide so no, BTW did not sell the same. Plus you cant really compare Gaga to Rihanna anymore, Rihanna has sold 180million records (as stated twice on xfactor) and has 12 US #1's.

P.S for those who are reaching and saying her perfume sold 6 million in a week... guess where that statement came from... her twitter and nowhere else. I think shes already been proven a liar regarding sales information so im going to take that with a pinch of salt

http://www.examiner.com/article/lady-gaga-peruvian-ticket-sales-are-much-less-than-she-tweeted

bye byatch, see you on vh1's "what happened to..." in 2016
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think as others have stated ARTPOP will be the decider her relevance is siding simply as we know what to expect of her and her antics have always been her draw and without the music it to bakc it up she willl just be a fad. I don't like to compare but most artist by their fourth albums are moveing forward and determinng their overall sound and image for the future there are only so many times gaga can put ona costume and jig along to a pre recorder dance beat she needs to strip it back and let her talent showcase it self like Madonna and Like A Prayer that album consolidated her relevancy and turend her into an artists will ARTPOP do the same for gaga time will tell but im not sure as many ppl are as interested as with BTW.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not convinced about the perfume sales either and she seemed to think she played to 50,000 in Peru which is true...she forgot to mention that only 17,000 of these tickets were from paying customers and the rest were giveaways. I think some of her fans think she is bigger than she is. I think Rihanna's star shines brighter these days
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F.Y.I

"Born This Way" sold 5.4 million copies worldwide - a lot of that was shipments too. The album has only been certified 2x platinum in the USA and the sales elsewhere weren't particularly high - USA being her biggest market aswell.

Furthermore, "Loud" sold roughly 6 million copies worldwide so no, BTW did not sell the same. Plus you cant really compare Gaga to Rihanna anymore, Rihanna has sold 180million records (as stated twice on xfactor) and has 12 US #1's.

http://www.examiner.com/article/lady-gaga-peruvian-ticket-sales-are-much-less-than-she-tweeted

bye byatch, see you on vh1's "what happened to..." in 2016

Well 5.4m last year, with a confirmed 400,000 more this year (and that was only up to June) means 5.8m at the very least. And I hardly think that Rihanna's smash album at the very most selling a couple of 100,000 copies more than Lady Gaga's 'underpeforming' one is something to get so cocky about now is it. Especially since said underpeforming still sold double what Rihanna's last one did.

And lets not go into X-Factor stats. They think JLS has sold 10m records; and Rihanna sold 80m in a year...
    TH14 wrote: »
    I'm not convinced about the perfume sales either and she seemed to think she played to 50,000 in Peru which is true...she forgot to mention that only 17,000 of these tickets were from paying customers and the rest were giveaways. I think some of her fans think she is bigger than she is. I think Rihanna's star shines brighter these days

Based on what though?

In the UK yeah I so agree but worldwide?

Based on the big three (all three MASSIVE)

Album wise - Gaga wins (6m) over Perry (5.5m) and Rihanna (3m). Or Adele smashes them all into the ground.

Tour wise - Gaga wins ($124,879,545 with nearly 60 dates still to go) over the completed Rihanna ($90,000,000) and Perry ($51,824,881) tours.

Singles wise - Katy wins with numerous smashes while Gaga and Rihanna both only got one smash and one big wordwide hit each last era.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually by now TD is almost on 6M so about the same if not more than Gaga and that i sales not shipments. And in fairness to Gaga KP may not have sold as many tickets or albums in comparison but gaga should tkae note the TD era is how it should be done she doubled her sales, tours and sibgles and emegrged a s a massive player on the scene and that was album #2 im looking forward to the encore :) Whereas Gaga decreased and faltered and now we are wondering if she has peaked.