The Horror Channel

Comments

• BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like The Twilight Zone and notice they are going to show series 1. I wonder if they will ever do re-runs of the X-Files?
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    I like The Twilight Zone and notice they are going to show series 1. I wonder if they will ever do re-runs of the X-Files?

I hope not because it would probably be on after 9pm meaning 1 hour less for horror films.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Before i cancelled cable the History Channel (!!) was showing X-Files from the beginning.
    It started in November i think?
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I don't get why they're showing it at all when they only seem to have the rights to four of the six stories in the season.
    The scheduled episodes over the next 2 weeks do seem a bit patchy.

16th Season - 3rd Story - The Stones of Blood
    16th Season - 4th Story - The Androids of Tara
    17th Season - 2nd Story - City of Death
    18th Season - 6th Story - The Keeper of Traken
    18th Season - 7th Story - Logopolis
    19th Season - 3rd Story - Kinda

12th Season - 2nd Story - The Arc in Space (Omnibus)
    13th Season - 2nd Story - Planet of Evil (Omnibus)
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    That depends on which Youview package you have, I don't have it on 487 and it isn't exactly "showing" on 70 yet.

487 on a talktalk youview box.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    The scheduled episodes over the next 2 weeks do seem a bit patchy.

16th Season - 3rd Story - The Stones of Blood
    16th Season - 4th Story - The Androids of Tara
    17th Season - 2nd Story - City of Death
    18th Season - 6th Story - The Keeper of Traken
    18th Season - 7th Story - Logopolis
    19th Season - 3rd Story - Kinda

12th Season - 2nd Story - The Arc in Space (Omnibus)
    13th Season - 2nd Story - Planet of Evil (Omnibus)

I think you're missing my point a little. They haven't got the rights to all stories, we know that, but my point was why bother showing The Key To Time when there are six stories that make up the season and they've only got the rights to four of those six. An analogy could be drawn by a channel announcing they were showing "24" and then only showing the first sixteen episodes from a season, which would be pretty pointless.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how can you only have the rights to 4 of the 6 episodes that make up a story, that is a pretty dumb contract, I can get horror having a mixed bag of rights to whole stories, but not individual episodes
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I think you're missing my point a little. They haven't got the rights to all stories, we know that, but my point was why bother showing The Key To Time when there are six stories that make up the season and they've only got the rights to four of those six. An analogy could be drawn by a channel announcing they were showing "24" and then only showing the first sixteen episodes from a season, which would be pretty pointless.
    No

I got your point. Looking at the other stories coming up they too are being broadcast out of context.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    how can you only have the rights to 4 of the 6 episodes...
    I find this hard to believe also. Programme rights are sold as a series or season. You do though get some channels ignoring the running order and not appreciating that there is a bigger story arc going on.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

CBS Action can fit in the X Files without using the Horror Channel.
  • Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I find this hard to believe also. Programme rights are sold as a series or season. You do though get some channels ignoring the running order and not appreciating that there is a bigger story arc going on.

Programmes are sold and bought on whatever terms the seller and buyer agree upon. There no reason why anything has to be sold in its entirety.

In the case of the Key to Time stories, it's really not a great issue - there's very little connecting them apart from the pretty tenuous idea of the quest for the Key to Time itself. There's certainly not any plot strands of any substance (or merit) running from one story to another.

Even the BBC repeated two of the stories in the late 1970s without worrying about it :)
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Programmes are sold and bought on whatever terms the seller and buyer agree upon. There no reason why anything has to be sold in its entirety.

In the case of the Key to Time stories, it's really not a great issue - there's very little connecting them apart from the pretty tenuous idea of the quest for the Key to Time itself. There's certainly not any plot strands of any substance (or merit) running from one story to another.

Even the BBC repeated two of the stories in the late 1970s without worrying about it :)
    We don't know yet if Horror will buy another batch of Doctor Who stories, maybe next time they will get the rest of Key to Time.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this channel there is nothing else like it on Freeview really enjoying Hammer Horror The Witches on at the moment :)
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    We don't know yet if Horror will buy another batch of Doctor Who stories, maybe next time they will get the rest of Key to Time.
    They seem to have gone back to the beginning again and are re-repeating ones from early last year.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    They seem to have gone back to the beginning again and are re-repeating ones from early last year.
    yes ive looked ahead on Digiguide, ad we are starting to see repeats of episodes that have already aired on Horror whilst its been on Freeview
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    I love this channel there
    is nothing else like it on Freeview really enjoying Hammer Horror The
    Witches on at the moment :)

I love it too, I make a habit to check what films are on in the week. Great place to catch an oldie but goodie.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you watch Werewolves on Wheels last night. Rather awful, cheesy film.
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say I'm not a horror fan but some of the films they put on during the day I've been enjoying, I don't think I will be watching anything late at night though, too scary for me :D
  • MikeOf LBuzzardMikeOf LBuzzard Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I love it too, I make a habit to check what films are on in the week. Great place to catch an oldie but goodie.

I too enjoy watching but wish they would go HD
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DR WHO season 16 ( 1978-1979 ) Key of Time.
    Was made of six stories .....
    The Ribos Operation ( aired 2nd - 23rd Sept 78 ) 4 parts.
    The Pirate Planet ( aired 30th Sept - 21st Oct 78 ) 4 parts
    The Stones of Blood ( aired 28th Oct - 18th Nov 78 ) 4 parts
    The Androids of Tara ( aired 25th Nov - 16th Dec 78 ) 4 parts
    The Power of Kroll ( aired 23rd Dec 78 - 13th Jan 79 ) 4 parts
    The Armageddon Factor ( aired 20th Jan - 24th Feb 1979 ) 6 parts

As said the CBS Horror channel & +1 has got limited number of Dr Who stories from the BBC. But this is first time that some have been shown on TV for number of years.
    The BBC has allowed some shows to be shown outside the BBC , but this was in the 1990's up on Sat' .

As for the Horror channel going HD , yes it would be nice but it would mean that costs would go up for the channel with rights and many shows were not made in HD or wide screen so they would give a cost .

Also remember that the channel has little trouble in that Sky has movie channel for sci fi and horror that is 24/7 and other film channels for it's films.

The Horror channel has had a few owners too and it has taken a few years to grow from one channel to get a +1 channel and move from Sat only to cable to internet TV now DTT but now should now have money coming with number viewers to bring better shows and films in the next year.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,242
    Forum Member
    It would be nice to have full SD for the widescreen programme material, never mind HD.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the content of much of their shows being low image quality anyway, would it be worth having a HD version of the channel...,it wouldn't be true HD anyway, just upscaled sd.

(Based on the satellite version of the channel, as it's not a available on freeview in this part the country).
  • MikeOf LBuzzardMikeOf LBuzzard Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    With the content of much of their shows being low image quality anyway, would it be worth having a HD version of the channel...,it wouldn't be true HD anyway, just upscaled sd.

(Based on the satellite version of the channel, as it's not a available on freeview in this part the country).

They show several new release films which have not been shown by Sky but are available through Netflix and Amazon(usually with a cost attached) in HD
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there was an HD version of this channel then I have no doubt it would be behind a paywall and therefore not even available to Freeview users.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is on now I absolutely love this 1970's tv movie :)