Options

When to Start the official episode thread

Comments

• Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    I'm something of a spoiler-phobe myself (I dunno, maybe people here haven't quite realised that yet? :)) and I've not noticed any spoilers in official threads in this series. That shows it's quite possible to discuss and speculate without there being spoilers, which is why I think it is useful to have so-called "official" episode threads up a few days ahead of broadcast. It also has the secondary beneficial effect of tending to collect most of the "posted while watching" in once place, making them easier to skip.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    My preference would be for it to be put up the day after the previous episode airs, and it should be pinned straight away so both the thread for the last episode and the thread for the next episode are always at the top of the board.
    People will always want to speculate and discuss about the next episode before it airs, so leaving it until after it airs is not right IMO.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm. 41 votes in. Is that too early to try and summarize? :)

The single most popular option is "The day before". However, it's not an overall majority. There'd be more voters unhappy with that than happy.

If you take the range of times on offer, the majority of votes are somewhere between "4-5 days before" and "anytime on the day". The average (approximately) is around Wednesday - Thursday. That seems reasonable to me.
  • Options
    Thomas CrewesThomas Crewes Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right now it's joint first with the actual, correct answer "I don't mind".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There isn't a correct answer in this case as it's a matter of opinion/preference.

But, you're right in the sense that it's not important, unlike, say, global warming or cancer.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    There isn't a correct answer in this case as it's a matter of opinion/preference.

But, you're right in the sense that it's not important, unlike, say, global warming or cancer.

right now 15 are saying it should be within 24 hours so...

the 'I don't mind' option is like spoiling your ballot paper. it renders the vote irrelevant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know why some people seem intent on reminding everyone how its not a serious issue...of course it isn't! we all know this. in the grand scheme of things its utterly irrelevant. but then so is this forum and most topics on it. its just about trying to maintain a decent forum. no ones saying its on a par with global warming. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    right now 15 are saying it should be within 24 hours so...

the 'I don't mind' option is like spoiling your ballot paper. it renders the vote irrelevant

What? Do you mean the whole vote? I thought spoilt ballots and those who didn't vote are simply discarded? Elections don't get re-run on account of a few spoilt ballots (unless it's very close and the spoilt papers put the result in question).

First past the post does mean a simple majority "wins" though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know why some people seem intent on reminding everyone how its not a serious issue...of course it isn't! we all know this. in the grand scheme of things its utterly irrelevant. but then so is this forum and most topics on it. its just about trying to maintain a decent forum. no ones saying its on a par with global warming. :confused:

No, but the other poster implied (actually directly stated) there was only one correct answer, as if it was a test or something. Maybe I wasn't clear in my reply to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What? Do you mean the whole vote? I thought spoilt ballots and those who didn't vote are simply discarded? Elections don't get re-run on account of a few spoilt ballots (unless it's very close and the spoilt papers put the result in question).

First past the post does mean a simple majority "wins" though.

no I mean those choosing 'I don't mind' are basically rendering their own vote meaningless as they just end up being counted with the majority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but the other poster implied (actually directly stated) there was only one correct answer, as if it was a test or something. Maybe I wasn't clear in my reply to that.

sorry I was unclear.. I was posting in agreement with you. a few posts have been made making out it a silly non-issue but in forum terms it isn't. we all know it isn't important generally speaking! I was agreeing with your point,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair enough. :) NP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only one to make the global warming comparison was GDK, so that shouldn't be cast against my side of the argument in any event. I disagree with you saying the vote equates to a spoiled ballot. The result isn't going to be enforced in any way no matter what, so we're all just chucking in our opinions, and the opinion that it doesn't matter is an entirely valid one. It's all well and good saying it's irrelevant in the grand scheme, but in reality I saw one poster being subjected to pretty damn rude treatment because of this "irrelevant" issue and, if I'm not mistaken, you were one of the culprits. You can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only one to make the global warming comparison was GDK, so that shouldn't be cast against my side of the argument in any event. I disagree with you saying the vote equates to a spoiled ballot. The result isn't going to be enforced in any way no matter what, so we're all just chucking in our opinions, and the opinion that it doesn't matter is an entirely valid one. It's all well and good saying it's irrelevant in the grand scheme, but in reality I saw one poster being subjected to pretty damn rude treatment because of this "irrelevant" issue and, if I'm not mistaken, you were one of the culprits. You can't have it both ways.

Subjected to rude conduct? What like being told to get a life? Being called a moron? Being called an idiot? Being called a 'dick'? Oh no. Those were comments made by the OP. .I merely pointed out that I felt their response was childish and somewhat petulant. But no one came out of that thread well did they hence it being locked.

As for this poll I see no reason why a loose guide or rule cant be requested and enforced by the Mods. Even if you have sought to discount it already. It seems you take this issue rather more seriously than you claim as you seem to like the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say the guy was whiter than white, but he was provoked by multiple others over a complete non-issue. There isn't even enough activity here to justify an entire sub-forum, people should be allowed to just make the threads they want, went they want without being subjected to childish abuse over it. Loosen the hell up, basically.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand what you mean by that. Why would starting next weeks episode a whole week early in any way help with people 'crying and whining' as you put it?.
    I don't understand what you mean?

He means why start a new thread to discuss next week's story when the current one has barely finished rolling its credits. Members should ideally be talking about what they have only just seen and not being diverted to discussing a story they haven't seen yet. There's a Spoiler section for that.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    He means why start a new thread to discuss next week's story when the current one has barely finished rolling its credits. Members should ideally be talking about what they have only just seen and not being diverted to discussing a story they haven't seen yet. There's a Spoiler section for that.
    I'd certainly agree with that, and said similar sentiments in my opening post.

I see that out off the people who do have a preference, their is currently the biggest vote for 'the day before' with joint second being 'the day of the episode' and '2-3 days before,

That means if you combine them, you get a picture where the biggest support overall is currently for starting the thread only 3 days before at most, which means that it seems more people agree with the idea of it being closer to the episode date than further away.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    I didn't say the guy was whiter than white, but he was provoked by multiple others over a complete non-issue. There isn't even enough activity here to justify an entire sub-forum, people should be allowed to just make the threads they want, went they want without being subjected to childish abuse over it. Loosen the hell up, basically.

Childish abuse wouldn't include something like being told to "loosen the hell up, basically"? I'm assuming? ;-)

If people are simply racing to be the one who starts the thread, that's when I have a minor gripe as it becomes earlier and a petty sort of argument (and there are plenty of those already on here), but as long as a thread is made and it has a poll available for right after the episode finishes, then there shouldn't be a problem. I voted day before, just to keep away any pages of faffing at the start or potential spoilers.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The day before.
    I don't want to have traipse through several pages of people anticipating the episode. I just want to get straight to the discussion about what people have actually seen.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    Just posted on the official 'The woman who lived' thread that the thread having been started a week early, it is now 3 pages long, over a day before the episode airs, and out of those 3 pages, page 2 is mostly a long debate about the merits of Capaldi's guitar and it's use in the show, and the current page is a discussion about the series 9 part 1 dvd, where the episode of the thread title has yet to be mentioned on the current furthest page (page 3) at all.

To my mind, this just goes to prove why starting the official episode thread so needlessly early as a week before, like that one was, is pointless. Once the opening post contaning the episode description, and a second post with review links has been made, then there isn't really anything else substantial to say before the episode airs. The day before or day of the episode would be more than enough time for those initial posts, and maybe a little spec before the episode starts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just posted on the official 'The woman who lived' thread that the thread having been started a week early, it is now 3 pages long, over a day before the episode airs, and out of those 3 pages, page 2 is mostly a long debate about the merits of Capaldi's guitar and it's use in the show, and the current page is a discussion about the series 9 part 1 dvd, where the episode of the thread title has yet to be mentioned on the current furthest page (page 3) at all.

To my mind, this just goes to prove why starting the official episode thread so needlessly early as a week before, like that one was, is pointless. Once the opening post contaning the episode description, and a second post with review links has been made, then there isn't really anything else substantial to say before the episode airs. The day before or day of the episode would be more than enough time for those initial posts, and maybe a little spec before the episode starts.

I agree entirely. There has never been any really fervent discussion on any thread started early until the day of the episode. Everything else can and is said in the Spoilers thread.

People say it gives people the chance to discuss the episode before it airs but no one does because there's nothing to discuss. Previews and clips and reviews are best found in the spoilers and news thread and then posted over to the episode thread the day it airs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, you're basically saying no-one ever likes to speculate what might be about to happen, based on the events in the previous episode or series so far? It's all fluff and nonsense?

I agree a week early is way too early, but, all the same, a single example hardly a reliable data set makes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, you're basically saying no-one ever likes to speculate what might be about to happen, based on the events in the previous episode or series so far? It's all fluff and nonsense?

I agree a week early is way too early, but, all the same, a single example hardly a reliable data set makes.

Go and check the threads. It's all there. Or rather not there. They get started and then sit there barely used or else they go off topic. This idea that people are fervently debating the episodes prior to broadcast just isn't true.

Despite your own best efforts to encourage some discussion your own episode thread for Before the Flood was pretty much empty until? The day before the episode aired. Despite you starting it 4 days previously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a radical question...so what? Pass over the thread until you're ready to contribute, if it so offends you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's a radical question...so what? Pass over the thread until you're ready to contribute, if it so offends you.
    Very good point.