Motors TV gone from CH71

Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seems the COM7 stream has gone from Freeview and now can only be accessed on CH240 to those with compatible IP boxes.

Comments

• StasisLeakStasisLeak Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    "£$%^"£$%!!!
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Seems the COM7 stream has gone from Freeview and now can only be accessed on CH240 to those with compatible IP boxes.

Rats - luckily I can still get it on lcn 240 - one of my favourite Freeview channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    This has really pee'd me off turning on the TV to discover this. Does anyone know why??
    There website is still stating it's on ch71. But then they seem slow updating or replying to anything
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has really pee'd me off turning on the TV to discover this. Does anyone know why??
    There website is still stating it's on ch71. But then they seem slow updating or replying to anything

There is nothing I've been able to find so far. No mention on their website, Facebook or Twitter explaining it.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes taken off air as a digital channel and streamed through internet instead >:(
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what will replace this channel?
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what will replace this channel?

ITV1+3, knowing how they channel hogging at the moment.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting as those stats I did showed their viewing figure gain from Freeview HD.

Must be the cost of contract renewal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course that IPTV thing works I think where they pay per viewer so that could get quite pricey on some of their more popular shows.

As its fair to expect more smart TVs to be sold, so people with access to those IP channels will increase. Maybe this is some of the logical behind the move as well as most who could get the channel on 71 could get it on 240 I suspect with their HD smart TVs.
  • brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    Of course that IPTV thing works I think where they pay per viewer so that could get quite pricey on some of their more popular shows.

As its fair to expect more smart TVs to be sold, so people with access to those IP channels will increase. Maybe this is some of the logical behind the move as well as most who could get the channel on 71 could get it on 240 I suspect with their HD smart TVs.

It was on 240 well before it was on 71.
    The only reason I use com7 was for when they moved to 71.
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they were broadcasting in HD - yet COM7 is an HD MUX - I assume that there is a move to fill the MUX with HD channels?

Shame though - as I liked having Motors on 71 - though my TV can pick it up on 240 it then puts additional traffic on the broadband connection - which can slow everything else down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is space on com8 and loads of it so must be cost based I would suspect.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due to market forces, the cost of capacity must now be very reasonable indeed.

Perhaps Motors TV are having to cut costs??

They no longer get a cut of the Sky Sub Club fees since they were kicked out and went from Pay TV to FTV.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Due to market forces, the cost of capacity must now be very reasonable indeed.

Perhaps Motors TV are having to cut costs??

They no longer get a cut of the Sky Sub Club fees since they were kicked out and went from Pay TV to FTV.

They went FTV 5 years ago in February 2011 so that won't have any link to recent developments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are also the transmission costs that could be pricey. We don't know if they have been asked to stump up a massive amount more?

They probably have a lot more viewers on Freeview than they realise or get recorded. Just look at how many are complaining and this is very much out of the casual viewer of motorsport window.

I suspect the biggest loss is tgsr EPG slot as 240 is buried away. They really should be allowed to keep 71 to operate the IP channel on. It may even help push that side of the platform?

I wonder if that IP service could cope for the major events they show or peak viewing. There could be times when 100k + all try and hit the service at once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting if we could get some motion going to try and get people to all tune into motors tv at a said time, just to see how well IPTV really copes?
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    They really should be allowed to keep 71 to operate the IP channel on. It may even help push that side of the platform?

They could keep 71 as long as they broadcast some hours over-the-air. An hour a 4am for instance :)
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,943
    Forum Member
    There are also the transmission costs that could be pricey. We don't know if they have been asked to stump up a massive amount more?

They probably have a lot more viewers on Freeview than they realise or get recorded. Just look at how many are complaining and this is very much out of the casual viewer of motorsport window.

I suspect the biggest loss is tgsr EPG slot as 240 is buried away. They really should be allowed to keep 71 to operate the IP channel on. It may even help push that side of the platform?

I wonder if that IP service could cope for the major events they show or peak viewing. There could be times when 100k + all try and hit the service at once.

The top audience for Motors TV in the most recent BARB figures was 23,000 (and that includes Sky and any other platforms it is on). The 10th most popular show only garnered 10,000. That was a relatively good week but only produced a 0.02% share with a daily reach of 84,000 (0.14%) and weekly reach of 353,000 (0.6%).

Just how many are complaining given there are only around 20 posts in this thread, not all complaints and some repeat posters.

I suspect the decision has been based purely on cost versus returns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but how accurate are those figures? Also its the off season for a channel which is very much seasonal.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,943
    Forum Member
    Yes but how accurate are those figures? Also its the off season for a channel which is very much seasonal.

They are BARB figures so probably the most accurate available and certainly ones the broadcasters themselves pay for.

I checked May to September last year for comparison and only one week at the end of June produced an audience over 32,000. The Goodwood festival of Speed week had a high of 80,000 and even the 10th show was over 30,000. Most weeks though it was little different from the figures in my earlier post - often less. It is a minority interest channel pure and simple. Freeview has limited capacity so is not the cheapest to broadcast on. Cost v return.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    But still it would be good to have a reason from the horses mouth.
    Even their twitter feed only offers a how to get motors link. All those asking why on there have been ignored too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess positive is that it's still available and with more new TVs being sold you would expect the potential number of people able to get it growing.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    DTT carriage cost isn't cheap and for the figures posted by @Radiomike, for a channel the size of MotorsTV, i can see why they pulled it off Freeview.
    Its FTA on satellite and available through the IP services....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They appear to be cutting back as the lack of live action is a real issue at the moment and must be costing them viewers aswell.

However like you say the 240 channel probably works well for them.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But still it would be good to have a reason from the horses mouth.
    Even their twitter feed only offers a how to get motors link. All those asking why on there have been ignored too.

They really should have forewarned people, not only out of professional courtesy, but they could have kept some viewers by advertising different ways to receive the channel.
    popeye13 wrote: »
    DTT carriage cost isn't cheap and for the figures posted by @Radiomike, for a channel the size of MotorsTV, i can see why they pulled it off Freeview.
    Its FTA on satellite and available through the IP services....

If it has gone from FTV to FTA on satellite, perhaps they see more value in Freesat than Freeview, particularly as they still have a prescence on Freeview??