Options

Not much of an ethnic 'mix' this series ?

CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
Forum Member
✭✭
What do you think ?

I can't remember the last time a Black guy was featured. They've got one Asian bloke, but he could easily pass off as mixed-race. Where are your average ones ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim Campbell, who won it back in 2005

Asian guys
    2006 Syed Ahmed (ahem), Tuan,
    2007 Tre Azam

2009 Majid, Noorul
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nerf666 wrote: »

To be honest, I can't even remember him :o
    Tercet2 wrote: »
    Tim Campbell, who won it back in 2005

Asian guys
    2006 Syed Ahmed (ahem), Tuan,
    2007 Tre Azam

2009 Majid, Noorul

Yep; I knew them, but it would have been nice to have a Black guy in the new series.

After all, London (where it's recorded), is the most multi-cultural City in Europe (I think) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Well this is the UK -You cant always generously over represnt the ethnic minorities in every TV show .Reality has to be shine through occasionally but then this leads to moaning like on X factor and this thread .
  • Options
    UnrealityTVUnrealityTV Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see anyone disabled, either. Or anyone overtly gay. Or obviously religious. Or Welsh...

They pick the best candidates (OK, they pick who they think will make the most entertaining TV). In this case, the 'best' (i.e. most idiotic) didn't happen to be any of the above.

Don't see a problem. (Actually, if I fell into any of the above categories, I'd be quietly relieved that none of my fellow souls were deemed so useless as to qualify for TA :))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well some are mentally disturbed. They have voices in their head which make them say stupid things, etc.

Been a few gay guys, well ok only two I can think of. Though unlike BB they weren't there to shag people.

Tre was religious, and it caused him to have a problem with a task.

No got me on Welsh, not that many Scots either, though more than the Scottish papers would have you believe.

They seem to pick some to make good telly for the BB crowd, and some who might know what they are doing so it doesn't become a total farce. Sometimes the lines blur.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and the people that knock up the designed product overnight. They're Polish ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this is the UK -You cant always generously over represnt the ethnic minorities in every TV show .Reality has to be shine through occasionally but then this leads to moaning like on X factor and this thread .

No moaning; just curiosity.
  • Options
    mouthalmightymouthalmighty Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nobody older than 30 this time either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why didn't GAMU get through!! :mad:
  • Options
    XioXio Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I don't see anyone disabled, either. Or anyone overtly gay. Or obviously religious. Or Welsh...

They pick the best candidates (OK, they pick who they think will make the most entertaining TV). In this case, the 'best' (i.e. most idiotic) didn't happen to be any of the above.

Don't see a problem. (Actually, if I fell into any of the above categories, I'd be quietly relieved that none of my fellow souls were deemed so useless as to qualify for TA :))

I agree. By wanting a totally accurate representation of all minorities, you are simply discriminating in other way. What does it really matter?
  • Options
    XioXio Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    There's nobody older than 30 this time either.

Dan was 34. Let's face it, older candidates don't stand much of a chance anyway. Alan always wants more of a "blank canvas" - someone who he can mould.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Wow with all these guys about you'd think they'd get some females in there too.

Oh wait....
  • Options
    Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    Tuan Le is the only east asian to be on the show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xio wrote: »
    Dan was 34. Let's face it, older candidates don't stand much of a chance anyway. Alan always wants more of a "blank canvas" - someone who he can mould.

The average age has been dropping series by series, which means years of business experience too. Go figure :)
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    What do you think ?

I can't remember the last time a Black guy was featured. They've got one Asian bloke, but he could easily pass off as mixed-race. Where are your average ones ?

All I've got to say to that is a massive - so what?

I can't say that I even noticed. After all, why should I? They are all simply people to me. I wonder why they aren't to you? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    All I've got to say to that is a massive - so what?

I can't say that I even noticed. After all, why should I? They are all simply people to me. I wonder why they aren't to you? :confused:

I suggest you calm down and don't take what I asked too seriously :)
  • Options
    Keyplayer2010Keyplayer2010 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    What do you think ?

Don't you notice its always the "non racists" who bring up the subject of race.

If they are all black or all white whats it matter? does every programme on the tele have to fill the quota of black/brown or white?
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xio wrote: »

Until he changes his mind and decides that certain people dont have enough experience to handle the position. He flip flops between what he wants so often it isnt funny.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    3 out of 16 candidates are from "ethnic minorities", which equates to nearly 20%...or double the amount of "ethnic minorities" in the general population. I cannot see an issue here.
  • Options
    queenbeaqueenbea Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    3 out of 16 candidates are from "ethnic minorities", which equates to nearly 20%...or double the amount of "ethnic minorities" in the general population. I cannot see an issue here.

There are five visible "ethnics" in total:

Jamie Lester
    Joanna Riley
    Paloma Vivanco
    Sandeesh Samra
    Shibby Robati

I say visible as the others might be of an ethnic background but not readily noticeable i.e. genotype vs phenotype.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is one odd thing though, why only two men from Afro/Caribbean backgrounds have ever been on the Apprentice? The two that did, Tim (2005) and Ansell (2006) both did very well coming 1st and 3rd respectively. Both conducted themselves a hell of a lot better than some back then, and many since. You would have thought they would have encouraged others to apply in the next few years. Were they not 'wacky/slightly unhinged' enough for the production team? Or did too few apply anyway? Not going to find out of course.

There have been black women since. Linzi and in all fairness Mona were unlikely to get very far. Jadine was talented but it was a rough nasty year. Maybe Joanna is going to hang on in there better.
  • Options
    wintermute101wintermute101 Posts: 1,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really surprised there aren't more Chinese / East Asians on the Apprentice, they're clever, but also too smart to go on this car-crash circus of a show.

There have been quite a number of people from a South Asian background (Indian/Pakistanis) over the years - they seem to be more desperate, and more deluded - remember Saira, Sayeed, Tre....?
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is interesting to see the reactions of some people regarding this. It seems that some people think that we are a racist country that it comes down to being an outrage that too many white people are chosen to take part for a job application "game show". I wonder how much this has to do with the pandering to ethnic minorities, especailly Muslims, over the years.

Fact is according to the 2001 census, 91% of the UK population is white. It will be interesting to see what it is in 211, a bit lower maybe, but not by much. The current selection of candidates on The Apprentice is therefore a fair representation of the UK population.

If you dont like this fact, then tough. This is UK, we are 90% white. Get over it.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    It is interesting to see the reactions of some people regarding this. It seems that some people think that we are a racist country that it comes down to being an outrage that too many white people are chosen to take part for a job application "game show". I wonder how much this has to do with the pandering to ethnic minorities, especailly Muslims, over the years.

Fact is according to the 2001 census, 91% of the UK population is white. It will be interesting to see what it is in 211, a bit lower maybe, but not by much. The current selection of candidates on The Apprentice is therefore a fair representation of the UK population.

If you dont like this fact, then tough. This is UK, we are 90% white. Get over it.

This is the problem with affirmative action - it becomes "expected" even when not needed or deserved.

It never seems to enter the minds of those "demanding it" that British ethnic minorities who have "made it" in life actually put the "time,dedication and effort" into making something of their lives.