Racist banter in the pub

Comments

• Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    The message in the taxi is not aimed at the driver, it's aimed at passengers being driven by ethnic minority taxi drivers. The warning is real enough as the vehicle is CCTV'd.
    Well yes, I kind of gathered a taxi driver wouldn't voluntarily carry a sign in his cab aimed at himself :D

But it seems to be inviting unnecessary trouble by having a sign that introduces the concept of racism as soon as a passenger gets in the cab

Is it for real or did you dream it?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes, I kind of gathered a taxi driver wouldn't voluntarily carry a sign in his cab aimed at himself :D

But it seems to be inviting unnecessary trouble by having a sign that introduces the concept of racism as soon as a passenger gets in the cab

Is it for real or did you dream it?

No, trust me it's real. Next time I use a taxi I'll take a pic and post it on here via an image hosting site.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I am saying if you think saying racist things isn't offensive, you might as well think water isn't wet. Racism is racism, there is no acceptable context for it to be used seriously. Some comedians use it ironically but even then the fact they are comedians and their job is tell jokes more or less makes it clear they are not to be taken seriously.

Never understood that logic. It's unspeakably criminal to tell an offensive joke to a few of your mates in case you offend any passing strangers but perfectly OK to stand in a spotlight and tell it to 200 strangers and charge for the privilege - maybe make a DVD of it for good measure??:confused:
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever, can't be ar$ed with your daft games tonight.
    Think whatever you like, bye.

Swimming relay, I'm off...
    You tell us cabbies are 'stereotypical borderline racists' admit to being one yourself ( a cabbie :)) then can't be arsed to back it up

Seriously, what's the point in engaging you in conversation?

It's like Groundhog day for the 21st thousandth time
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never understood that logic. It's unspeakably criminal to tell an offensive joke to a few of your mates in case you offend any passing strangers but perfectly ok to stand in a spotlight and tell it to 200 strangers and charge for the privilege - maybe make a DVD of it for good measure??:confused:

calling a black person a monkey gets you arrested for a hate crime but calling george bush a monkey gets you 100,000 hits on youtube.
  • AnKahAnKah Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    P-Combo wrote: »
    Well what do you call black people?

Is there some sort of word that describes black people that DOES NOT offend them.

You should have just left if you were offended.

Tell me hun, if I were to describe you as a cr*****, would you be perfectly fine with that, or would you be a little bit affronted?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnKah wrote: »
    Tell me hun, if I were to describe you as a cr*****, would you be perfectly fine with that, or would you be a little bit affronted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39yYPzktoE

You could be a millionaire.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    what if someone was discussing the dam busters and Guy Gibsons dog was mentioned?
  • mandosomandoso Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you do understand what banter is then?

got my drive tarmaced... it sank.

what do you expect? bloody pikeys.

So just to clarify, you think that calling a black person a monkey is "banter"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mandoso wrote: »

No i think calling someone who is kicking off at a football match a monkey is banter. If they were white i'm sure we could come up with something just as descriptive and derogatory for them.

What was it chris rock said?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    A bloke in the pub said.

Judge Judy would kick it out as hearsay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bloke in the pub said.

Judge Judy would kick it out as hearsay.

Hmmmm, slightly off topic, but some bloke down the pub got poor old Harry Stanley shot dead by police for carrying a table leg, which he said waqs a gun.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm, slightly off topic, but some bloke down the pub got poor old Harry Stanley shot dead by police for carrying a table leg, which he said waqs a gun.......

The police aren't a court ;)

on an unrelated note that cracker song is damn catchy i cant stop watching it lol
  • Donk25Donk25 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mandoso wrote: »

No it is not banter, it`s plain racist and ignorant, but then again what do you expect from certain members on here, with all the covertly racist posts seeking to justify it, but if you ask them they`ll surely say , Oh i`m not racist but..... :yawn:

Sometimes I wonder if Britain has reached the 21st century yet :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Donk25 wrote: »
    No it is not banter, it`s plain racist and ignorant.

Iz it cos i iz black
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately, certain pubs attract lowlives. People complain about the amount of pubs that are closing down, but the case described by the OP is proof too many pubs are still open. What is needed is covert surveylence. Pubs where racism like that the OP described is heard should be closed down immediately.

All pubs should be completely family-friendly and free of racism and other hate speech.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, certain pubs attract lowlives. People complain about the amount of pubs that are closing down, but the case described by the OP is proof too many pubs are still open. What is needed is covert surveylence. Pubs where racism like that the OP described is heard should be closed down immediately.

All pubs should be completely family-friendly and free of racism and other hate speech.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

What's next, close a shopping center, football ground, kid's park and all because some idiot used racist language?
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Donk25 wrote: »

Sometimes I wonder if Britain has reached the 21st century yet :rolleyes:
    Who's ahead of us ?
  • Charles IICharles II Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    Who's ahead of us ?

Exactly racists are everywhere..and actually the lefty liberals are doing more harm to the cause of migrants than good by trying to pretend it doesn't exist or that people with this mindset are a good 10 or so people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »

Sorry, but what have any of those links got to do with morons on the terraces making monkey chants towards black players at premiership football matches ?

You don't hear that at USA sports games was the point I was making. Not that there isn't necessarily elements of racism elsewhere in American society. I'd already conceded that in my earlier post if you managed to spot it :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Americans tend to be more racist towards Asian Americans and Latin Americans.

You only need to Google to discover that there is still a great deal of racism in sport in the USA.

Where do you get this shit from? Is there some Bizzarro America that you've been to? Your America certainly doesn't sound like the one I was born and raised in.

OP, I understand what you mean and where you are coming from. The barmaid was in a difficult position-- she likely wanted them to shut the hell up.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »

So in other words you want a pub in which everyone talks about things that do not have the possibility to offend anyone.
    Hang on while I find one.... Oh wait. There isn't any in the real world. Simple fact is people are always going to talk about things that offends somebody.
    And you are forbid from having any fun. Why not just ban drinking alcohol as well.

Covert surveillance? Really?

Judging by your post, I would say that you are not of British descent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    You should have chinned all three and then the barmaid. Only joking before someone takes that literally.

I think the barmaid was being diplomatic, trying to avoid a scene, and hoping you didn't hear it.

You could have done something about it, if you wanted to (public order offence) - I don't think it's really much to do with her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but what have any of those links got to do with morons on the terraces making monkey chants towards black players at premiership football matches ?

You don't hear that at USA sports games was the point I was making. Not that there isn't necessarily elements of racism elsewhere in American society. I'd already conceded that in my earlier post if you managed to spot it :rolleyes:

I've been to every major American sport at the either the pro, semi-pro, collegiate or high school level and I have never, ever heard racist language or anything like what happened in football over here. Maurice Edu and DeMarcus Beasley of Rangers was getting racist abuse from Celtic fans recently. It would not happen back home.