Options

Big Anti-Climaxes

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something might come of it, but the genome stuff has been a huge anti-climax so far. I'm sure it was just that newspapers can never be bothered to consult actual research scientists before they print bollocks, but 10 years ago we were led to believe that half of human diseases were all but gone: at last we have the answer to diabetes, Parkinsons, cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, all manner of unpleasant heritable conditions. Clearly this was not true, which must be disappointing to people who felt as if they were in a race against time.

Also, I have two friends with high-level spinal injuries, both paralysed from the chest down, and I couldn't count the number of times I have read of miracle cures in rats. At first I used to send them the stories, then I just got disillusioned. So many cured rats and so few cured people.
  • Options
    lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Yep one wonders where they went..

If she's laying down, under her armpits. If shes standing up, at best, down to her belly button, at worst her knees......:(
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    My Hen Do wasn't what I expected, half my friends couldn't make it as my chief bridesmaid had left the organising until quite late so a lot of people had made plans already. It didn't feel like it was that special, I felt completely left out and it's all very well placing the bride to be at one end of the table but it felt lonely when everyone else was sat in pairs and I was all on my tod at the end, I would have rather have been sat in the middle. I bought my own drinks all night and paid for my own night out. I had more fun when I went out with a couple of girl friends a few weeks later and my wedding day and Honeymoon were awesome.

The only person that knows how I feel about it is my husband, his stag was just as bad he said.
  • Options
    rache_rache_ Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    My Hen Do wasn't what I expected, half my friends couldn't make it as my chief bridesmaid had left the organising until quite late so a lot of people had made plans already. It didn't feel like it was that special, I felt completely left out and it's all very well placing the bride to be at one end of the table but it felt lonely when everyone else was sat in pairs and I was all on my tod at the end, I would have rather have been sat in the middle. I bought my own drinks all night and paid for my own night out. I had more fun when I went out with a couple of girl friends a few weeks later and my wedding day and Honeymoon were awesome.

The only person that knows how I feel about it is my husband, his stag was just as bad he said.

Mine too - felt like people didn't make the effort, and my chief bridesmaid arranged everything to be local for her, and the rest of us had to travel 300 miles!
  • Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebecca!

Can't believe that house keeper wasn't bounced out of the house!
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thundersnow. What a let down for the London area.
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 18th birthday, my so -called 'one of my best mates' decided to dump her boyfriend that night, we were all a tight knit crowd back then and everyone was very upset about it thus putting a total dampner on the night and basically ruining it

Two days later she got back with him and couldn't understand why I was upset with her fickleness

(was a long time ago, I'm over it it now :D but looking back she was way out of order, I would not have done that on anyone)
  • Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 18th birthday, my so -called 'one of my best mates' decided to dump her boyfriend that night, we were all a tight knit crowd back then and everyone was very upset about it thus putting a total dampner on the night and basically ruining it

Two days later she got back with him and couldn't understand why I was upset with her fickleness

(was a long time ago, I'm over it it now :D but looking back she was way out of order, I would not have done that on anyone)

A similar thing happened when a group of my friends went out to celebrate a 21st. One of my scatty friends brought along a work colleague to "cheer her up". Turns out she was due to have been married that Saturday and had been dumped by her boyfriend. She spent the whole night in tears.
  • Options
    DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Christmas. The whole thing is built up for weeks, the big day comes. That's it and the sales ads are on the television.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a sporting event Tyson/Spinks.

The public were led to believe (although I bloody knew the score) that an old pumped light-heavyweight (good at he was) would give Tyson at his very best a war resembling Ali/Frazier III.

I am no fan of Tyson (very overrated amongst the greats of the division) but I knew what the result would be.

And I was right.

After years of hype and bullshit it was a bloody 91 second blowout.

Bah humbug.