Time for ITV "This Morning" resignations

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He had the list on a 'this morning' card, there is no way he acted alone
    If anyone gets the sack, probably one of the production crew

I suspect he has plenty of the cards and will make notes for use on air at home. Programmes like that are big on branding and will want any stationery used to have the logo on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More out of order was Cameron insinuating gay = pedophile.

Cameron did not "insinuate a link between homosexuals and paedophiles, he said something on the lines of them being linked in some of the gossip (i.e. Twitter). If anything he tried to stop the suggestions,
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think he was insinuating that is what some people may wrongly think, a scan of these boards will show you that is true of some people that they do seem to link the two .
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    If a journalist did this, then the journalist would be sacked. I hope ITV don't think Schofield is too big to be dropped. This Morning and the other shows he presents can continue without him.

Schofield should simply be fired. That was gross mis-conduct in the workplace in my view. This Morning survived the leaving of it's originals Richard & Judy, so it can certainly manage without Schofield.

As for the Prime Minister appearing on shows like this, I don't much like it, but can see why they do it. I just could never imagine Mrs.Thatcher doing likewise. She never appeared on This Morning, or any other lightweight daytime shows as PM did she? Only recall Saturday Superstore, which was somewhat different.

Okay, appear as PM on these lightweight shows if you really must, but how about I see the PM showing up once in a lifetime on Newsnight, or it's hard headed equivalents too! Doesn't happen does it, and we know why.

Why do we never see Chancellors of the Exchequer on BBC's Question Time for example? Too scared that's why.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When are we going to get a squeak out of the big Twit? He isn't usually so reticent.

Isn't it wonderfully amusing when you get these self absorbed people who think every minute aspect of their lives is so vital and endlessly tweet day in, day out about all kinds of inane drivel....then when the dirt hits the fan, and they could, or should say something worthwhile, they suddenly go mute. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Had that been any other generic ITV presenter than Schofield, they'd have been out on their ear. Immediately.

Schofield's a bloody good presenter, and a lot less bland than you'd normally get in a programme like that. He's tried to bring a tougher line of questioning in recent times to a show that's normally used by politicians to avoid tougher news programmes.

Unfortunately, he overstretched himself on this occasion. There's nothing wrong with theatrics to make a serious point, but it was really badly judged. I have some sympathy - it was just a utter balls-up.

The harshest, and most accurate, word I've heard used about the escapade. That it was "amateur".

I wouldn't like to see him go, and as This Morning depends less on journalistic rigour than the likes of Newsnight, I survive he'll survive this one. But he should pay attention to the alarm bells currently going off.
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any mea culpa tweets from the Big Twit yet today?

Nothing as such from the Peadofinder General as yet. :D

I think he is going to be sacked.
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone as arrogant as Schofield would never resign. If he isn't given the boot in some way though my blood will boil. Trial by media and his behavior in general on that edition of the show must NEVER be tolerated.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let ITV off, is that what you're saying?

off what exactly? What exactly is the crime they committed?
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing as such from the Peadofinder General as yet. :D

I think he is going to be sacked.

I bet you he isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Isn't it wonderfully amusing when you get these self absorbed people who think every minute aspect of their lives is so vital and endlessly tweet day in, day out about all kinds of inane drivel....then when the dirt hits the fan, and they could, or should say something worthwhile, they suddenly go mute. :rolleyes:

Precisely. Utter silence.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

Maybe the BBC should learn from that, batten down the hatches and carry on as normal.

A witness to Savile being a paedophile who appeared on the ITV programme was himself arrested by police officers investigating sexual abuse associated with Savile and no one questions ITV's judgement in taking the word of a rather dodgy character, who's described as a 'sexual predator'.
  • Options
    PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely. Utter silence.

It would so nice to think that they are saving themselves for an interview with John Humphries. At least the former BBC DG gad the courtesy to turn up and confront criticism

Meanwhile, all ITV/ITN news do is gloat over the problems at the BBC whilst glossing over their own problems.

Why, for instance didn't ITV investigate Jimmy Savile if there were so many rumours?
  • Options
    premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thirty minutes and counting, this is going to be such a sickly sweet apology I fear half of us may contact diabetes.

All the PR stops will be pulled out, Clichés flying around, total remorse.

I won't believe a word of it.
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member

As much as I dislike Cameron, that is not at all what he said.

He said that there was a risk that people who kept their sexuality in private in the 80s due to discrimination that they feared due to being gay (which would be fair enough) were more at risk of being falsely branded peadophiles by a crazed witch hunt naming people on the flimsiest of evidence going "hey, not married huh! Suspicious!"

And he's right.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    This morning...let's discuss the BBC and gloss over our events last Thursday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »

I watched the start of the programme and amazed that no mention or apology of Schofield's stunt. He does seem rather subdued though.

For all the failings of the BBC recently, at least they do not just bury their heads in the sand and hope everyone forgets about it.

I hope ITV get hit hard by OFCOM, they need it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was wrong, thought he would have at least given a patronising apology.

Not going to get mentioned is it?

Spineless, cowardice, under the carpet brushing, weakling.

Business as usual having a go at the BBC for exactly what that tosser perpetuated.

It's like nothing was ever said.

What a whitewash.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    premixxed wrote: »
    I was wrong, thought he would have at least given a patronising apology.

Not going to get mentioned is it?

Spineless, cowardice, under the carpet brushing, weakling.

Business as usual having a go at the BBC for exactly what that tosser perpetuated.

It's like nothing was ever said.

What a whitewash.
    I have to agree there.

At least, for all of its failings and layers of management, the BBC has the gumption to not only apologise and have resignations (and maybe sackings), but can devote much programming time on its own TV and radio programmes to analysing its own mess and failings, as well as inviting public comment.
  • Options
    mrsdidimrsdidi Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, Why shouldn't politicians including prime ministers go on a daytime show? Do people think it is "beneath them". Politicians are there to serve the people not themselves and there a huge number of people who watch these shows so to appear on one of them to me is natural ( I am not one of the hoarders of this morning watchers some of us are in work trying to earn a living)

Secondly no one named anyone and the names were not visible even in pause, apparently, so unless you went looking on the Internet as Schofield clearly did then you wouldn't know who was on the list it could have been anyone. Internet gossips have taken over from neighbourhood gossips the only difference is their reach is longer but they are still gossips.

Thirdly whilst everyone is calling for this or that head to roll could we all just spare a second or two to think about the real victims, not some washed up politician or political aide but the ones whose lives have been blighted by the abuse they suffered. I do appreciate that having your reputation questioned is not a pleasant thing to happen but no where near as unpleasant as having your entire life blighted by abuse you suffered as a child.

What Schofield did was stupid and achieved nothing the editors of this morning didn't help the cause of preventing child abuse and the BBC made massive mistakes but lets not forget that it non of these people are the root cause of the problem they are not the abusers. What they are it seems failing to do is to remember that this is not about scoring points against each other for getting the best story but this about real people who have suffered horrendous abuse. But lets be honest that story isn't as good as a bit of Internet gossip as far as the so called journalists of this country are concerned.

This weekend we have seen the character assassination of a victim of this abuse by the press and an article I read today where McAlpine maintains you can "tell the character of a man by the way he eats oysters" who am I reserving my sympathy for ? Well it isn't a two bit television presenter, nor a serving prime minister, or a man who thinks oysters reveal your character not even a news editor no my sympathy is with the victim of abuse. Calling for the sacking of someone or other isn't going to turn that mans life around, having the head of an editor on a spike isn't going to change what happened.

We are where we are and people and organisations have ALL got it wrong but now its time to draw a line under all the rhetoric over "who is to blame" and calls for sackings and concentrate on finding and punishing those responsible to at least try to give the real victims some closure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five names were visible mrsdidi.

It only took me a cursory three minute glance to see that list of a list of a list made by the Silver Crocks.
  • Options
    mrsdidimrsdidi Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    premixxed wrote: »
    Five names were visible mrsdidi.

It only took me a cursory three minute glance to see that list of a list of a list made by the Silver Crocks.

Well there's three minutes of your life you won't get back again:)
    As I said there has always been those who will gossip and want to be "in the know" but at the heart of this are real people whose lives have been ruined maybe if people put as much energy and passion into calling for those responsible to be punished as they do into calling for people to be sacked something might change
    The priorities in this case have in my opinion been changed when the Saville story broke it was about catching the abusers now its about sacking people and who said what when meanwhile there are people walking around safe in the knowledge that all this uproar over television programmes will keep them and their sordid secrets safe for a little while longer
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Maybe the BBC should learn from that, batten down the hatches and carry on as normal.

A witness to Savile being a paedophile who appeared on the ITV programme was himself arrested by police officers investigating sexual abuse associated with Savile and no one questions ITV's judgement in taking the word of a rather dodgy character, who's described as a 'sexual predator'.

Was that the guy that was arrested over the weekend??
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw that in the trailer for the show and was horrified, yet not surprised.

Phillip S is going to get away with his nasty little stunt scott free. :mad: :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw that in the trailer for the show and was horrified, yet not surprised.

Phillip S is going to get away with his nasty little stunt scott free. :mad: :(

...as I said. He is Mr. TV to ITV and can do no wrong.