Options

At Last A 3d Movie On Demand

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
Forum Member
Gravity is in the showcase section of On Demand showing a week early.It says also in 3D and there is a series stack link. And indeed one of the choices is Gravity in 3D to download on demand. This must be the first 3D film to be in the On Demand section. However it does not appear to be in HD. Although I thought all 3D movies are in HD. Anyway available now. Usually you have to wait until the day it premieres on Sky Movies and record it from Sky 3D.

Comments

• Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    ALL 3D movies should be On demand

or

they should give us a 3D Movie Channel
    running 24hrs with movies on a continuous loop

I have said the same for 3D Sports and General Entertainment creating 3 channels for everyone's different level of access

and with the reshuffle it would have been the perfect time to put these channels on the EPG

but we know they wont do that as Sky no longer care nor have interest in 3D

4K IS THEIR NEW CARROT !!!

WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR FOR THAT TO BE SOLD TO US AS THE NEXT BIG THING
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3D on demand would negate the need for a permanent 3D channel. They would only need a popup stream for 3D Sports then!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

As everyone expected, 3D flopped yet again :D

Presumably 4K will be coming, but no idea if or when, but Sky did start developing a 4K box so as to be ready if they decide to launch a service.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALL 3D movies should be On demand

or

they should give us a 3D Movie Channel
    running 24hrs with movies on a continuous loop

I have said the same for 3D Sports and General Entertainment creating 3 channels for everyone's different level of access

and with the reshuffle it would have been the perfect time to put these channels on the EPG

You don't understand how the EPG works then, they can't just add 2 channels as and when they please, they have to buy the slots, so the reshuffle makes no difference.

You also still haven't got that they don't have enough content for 3 24hr channels, let alone more than one channel that can commit to the minimum required original content hours
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massive 5.83gb file size for Gravity 3D, compared to 2.79gb for the HD version.

Was going to watch it tonight but still not available after nearly an hour on my 7mb connection!!

File sizes could be a factor in lack of 3D on On Demand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Massive 5.83gb file size for Gravity 3D, compared to 2.79gb for the HD version.

Was going to watch it tonight but still not available after nearly an hour on my 7mb connection!!

File sizes could be a factor in lack of 3D on On Demand.

Just checked and mine was available within 30secs.

I just feel we need 3 3D Stations
    Just my opinion
    & I do realise that's no the opinion of any
    or many of the posters on these forums.

About to retreat to a safe place while only those that know it all rubbish my opinions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    About to retreat to a safe place while only those that know it all rubbish my opinions.

You're perfectly entitled to your own opinions :D, but unfortunately you're in a very small minority - there's almost zero interest in 3D.

I've carried out my own VERY, VERY small survey, on the small number of people where I've fitted 3D and then gone back a number of months later to deliver something else. In every single case they all said "we watched 3D for the first few days, and have never watched it since".

Do you find the simulated 3D any good?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I see this Gravity 3d movie in OnDemand
    I have sky 3d available, not that Ive watched any repeats of the 3d progs lately, just bored of the whole 3d thing now to be honest.
    But I have no sky movies subscription.
    Is it reliant when you have downloaded it that you have to have sky movies sub or is this a one off special or something?
  • Options
    daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As everyone expected, 3D flopped yet again :D

Presumably 4K will be coming, but no idea if or when, but Sky did start developing a 4K box so as to be ready if they decide to launch a service.

Does that mean they will replace all existing boxes, or will customers need to buy, believe in better.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    I have sky 3d available, not that Ive watched any repeats of the 3d progs lately, just bored of the whole 3d thing now to be honest.
    Is it reliant when you have downloaded it that you have to have sky movies sub or is this a one off special or something?

it says "available for HD customers, to activate simply visit sky.com/activate3d"
    that suggests that this is outwith the movies subscription requirement.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daver34 wrote: »
    Does that mean they will replace all existing boxes, or will customers need to buy, believe in better.

when ford bring out a new car they you replace all ford car or do customers need to buy?
    nice try though, you must try harder in future.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »

No you have to be a subscriber to Sky Movies to see Gravity in 3D. I think it is because there was such a big thing made of the fact that this was supposedly the ultimate 3D movie last year and 3D is the only way to see it that Sky are hyping up the 3D screenings of this film because it is well known how crucial it is meant to be to see it in 3D.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    No you have to be a subscriber to Sky Movies to see Gravity in 3D. I think it is because there was such a big thing made of the fact that this was supposedly the ultimate 3D movie last year and 3D is the only way to see it that Sky are hyping up the 3D screenings of this film because it is well known how crucial it is meant to be to see it in 3D.

Oh well wont bother then.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got fiber here but not near the exchange so its around 22-25mbs. Was ready to go within seconds.

Only really watch the big premiers on sky movies. Do like how they make them on demand a week before they go on the channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daver34 wrote: »

No one knows what will happen, or even if they will ever launch a service - but considering Sky's record of innovation it seems pretty likely they will.

I would imagine they may do something like an extra 4K subscription, and you get a free (or discounted price) 4K box if you subscribe? - but that's purely guess work.

Also, assuming there's likely to be 8K after 4K, it may make sense to make an 8K capable box as well, so as to be ready for the future?.
  • Options
    daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one knows what will happen, or even if they will ever launch a service - but considering Sky's record of innovation it seems pretty likely they will.

I would imagine they may do something like an extra 4K subscription, and you get a free (or discounted price) 4K box if you subscribe? - but that's purely guess work.

Also, assuming there's likely to be 8K after 4K, it may make sense to make an 8K capable box as well, so as to be ready for the future?.

Thanks Nigel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only strengthens my belief of a 3 channel system for access on a par to your sub.

4K boxes will fly of the sky shelves (metaphorically)
    if a proper content transfer service is included with box replacements.

The fear of losing everything prevents replacement.
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,458
    Forum Member
    Only strengthens my belief of a 3 channel system for access on a par to your sub.

Not going to happen. Sky boxes are only intended for timeshifting, that's the pretence that Sky have to maintain in order to satisfy their programme suppliers. If they allowed transfers from box-to-box it would imply that they condone long-term archiving, and all their suppliers would pull the plug, or increase prices.

About the closest you'll get to it is the current approach of paying extra to keep a film, Sky could allow you to select some programmes on your current box and pay a fee to get them downloaded on-demand to the new box.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Like Steve said, it's NOT going to happen - PVR's are intended for short term time shifting, not for archiving recordings on - the instructions with most PVR's even warn you against doing so, as you will lose them all when the HDD fails :D

When you upgrade your box, simply watch everything on the old box first - then swap the card over - no problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    Not going to happen. Sky boxes are only intended for timeshifting, that's the pretence that Sky have to maintain in order to satisfy their programme suppliers. If they allowed transfers from box-to-box it would imply that they condone long-term archiving, and all their suppliers would pull the plug, or increase prices.

About the closest you'll get to it is the current approach of paying extra to keep a film, Sky could allow you to select some programmes on your current box and pay a fee to get them downloaded on-demand to the new box.

I thought Buy and Keep could be re downloaded as many times as you like (on the same Sky account), even if you change your box! There was never talk about an extra fee for that other than the purchase price of the buy and keep film in question!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like Steve said, it's NOT going to happen - PVR's are intended for short term time shifting, not for archiving recordings on - the instructions with most PVR's even warn you against doing so, as you will lose them all when the HDD fails :D

When you upgrade your box, simply watch everything on the old box first - then swap the card over - no problem.

Or use the unofficial copying software if you know what your doing with HDDs and are confident and competent of taking your Sky boxes apart. If its a new box though you will invalidate your warranty (thats if Sky check the seal is broken!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    If its a new box though you will invalidate your warranty (thats if Sky check the seal is broken!)

As Sky only send out non-technical installers (even though they call them 'engineers') they will neither know nor care :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Sky only send out non-technical installers (even though they call them 'engineers') they will neither know nor care :D

Yes I'm sure this has been said before:D