Options

IMPORTANT - You will be charged £5 for BT Sport automatically.

sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
Forum Member
✭✭
Everyone should receive an e-mail, I got one this morning, advising BT Sport is changing.

From 1st August, you will automatically get BT Sport Europe, and be charged £5 a month.

If you do not wish for this, you need to downgrade to just BT Sport 1 for free.

Info - http://ecomm.bt.com/optiext/optiextension.dll?ID=_CD_Bf5964I%2BEnP9kqwggmyV6M2ty86I4qsNjkPlbhizZiwo2IjgBlDxFriIe8nIhuUhdutSLHJON9CMdnCExzY75zk_X

Downgrade line - http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/manage/bt-sport/od-skynorcw-Qj9p2WxyJu.html?s_cid=con_email_zone_UCLcell16_CTA1_20150512_seg6

Comments

• Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's for BT customers though isn't it?

Still none the wiser about BT Sport via Sky Digital. Will it be £5 extra, £5 or £9 for HD. I alaready pay £11 and it should be £16.50 - I got a reduction of £5.50 a month for one year.

This is one of the reasons I left BT for telephony. They were hopeless with customer service, and had the nerve to charge me an extra quarter of line rental AFTER I had switched to Virgin. It took me five months to get back the £182 they had over-charged me.

For BT Sport channels though I made an exception so that I could carry on watching football. For goodness sake BT get your act together and tell Sky Digital non-BT customers how much we will be paying from 1 August please!? Thank you.
  • Options
    plattyplatty Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I currently pay £16.50 for HD BTsport on Sky and if the cost goes up to much (£5 will be ok) i'll cancel the bloody lot .....that'll teach em , in all seriousness , I've just renogotiated my sky bill down from £97 to £79 for the next 12 months , but its getting ridiculous paying more for what i was getting included last season !!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt you will get an e-mail when they know, this thread was to advise people about the automatic £5 charge if they miss the e-mail.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok thanks for clarification. Maybe this thread should be closed now as it is being discussed elsewhere.

Thanks
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone should receive an e-mail, I got one this morning, advising BT Sport is changing.

From 1st August, you will automatically get BT Sport Europe, and be charged £5 a month.

If you do not wish for this, you need to downgrade to just BT Sport 1 for free.

Info - http://ecomm.bt.com/optiext/optiextension.dll?ID=_CD_Bf5964I%2BEnP9kqwggmyV6M2ty86I4qsNjkPlbhizZiwo2IjgBlDxFriIe8nIhuUhdutSLHJON9CMdnCExzY75zk_X

Downgrade line - http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/manage/bt-sport/od-skynorcw-Qj9p2WxyJu.html?s_cid=con_email_zone_UCLcell16_CTA1_20150512_seg6

Thanks for the info. Now downgraded to BT Sport Lite. Will be leaving BT when my contract is up (September). There's no added value now, as all the Sport I watch is on BTS 2 and occasionally ESPN. No point paying a premium for broadband to get 'free' BT Sport, when I can no longer watch the things I want on it.
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have today complained to Ofcom and BT about having to opt out of the new £5 charge for this BT Sport Euro Channel, instead of it being opt in.

This sort of salesmanship is, to my mind, very negative and does not reflect well on the organisation using it. It's a sales trick which used to be reserved for the charlatan-type companies who just hope you don't notice the extra cost whilst they rake in the money.

I don't, however, hold out any hope that Ofcom will do anything. Everything I've seen of this organisation suggests to me that it is on the side of big business, not the consumer.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    poppasmurf wrote: »
    I have today complained to Ofcom and BT about having to opt out of the new £5 charge for this BT Sport Euro Channel, instead of it being opt in.

This sort of salesmanship is, to my mind, very negative and does not reflect well on the organisation using it. It's a sales trick which used to be reserved for the charlatan-type companies who just hope you don't notice the extra cost whilst they rake in the money.

I don't, however, hold out any hope that Ofcom will do anything. Everything I've seen of this organisation suggests to me that it is on the side of big business, not the consumer.

As I said in the other thread, BT has a track record for these kinds of tricks. They did the same with the 1571 service. Started charging for it and opted EVERYONE in by default who was already signed to the free service. I personally think it's outrageous they can get away with it, but they did back then, and they will now.
  • Options
    sdrogersonsdrogerson Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Now downgraded to BT Sport Lite. Will be leaving BT when my contract is up (September). There's no added value now, as all the Sport I watch is on BTS 2 and occasionally ESPN. No point paying a premium for broadband to get 'free' BT Sport, when I can no longer watch the things I want on it.

I'm afraid by downgrading to BT Sport lite you have entered into a new 12 month contract
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sdrogerson wrote: »
    I'm afraid by downgrading to BT Sport lite you have entered into a new 12 month contract

When you are downgrading to BT Sport Lite, you are specifically asked if you wish to renew your contract for another 12 months. You have the opportunity to say yes or no.

I chose no.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you are downgrading to BT Sport Lite, you are specifically asked if you wish to renew your contract for another 12 months. You have the opportunity to say yes or no.

I chose no.

Exactly!

It was something along the lines of "Do you want to sign up to a new contract, otherwise we'll start charging you for BT Sport Lite when your contract ends". I of course selected 'no', because when my contract ends I'm off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sdrogerson wrote: »

As others have said, it gives you the option.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member
    The shame is that, if you primarily watch ESPN as I do, you now have to pay for the CL in order to still get it. Just the same as Sky where you have to pay for the cost of the EPL rights whether you want that or not in order to see their other sport. BT obviously didn't trust enough people to sign up for BT Sport Europe on its own as a premium product. I doubt BT Sport Lite will be available beyond next season - they probably reckon that most people who want BT Sport 1 will probably want BT Sport Europe anyway. Hey ho.
  • Options
    davefevsdavefevs Posts: 478
    Forum Member

I chose no.

That's his I read it too last night, but thought I'd check back here first :)

How do you cancel HD?
  • Options
    davefevsdavefevs Posts: 478
    Forum Member

I chose no.

That's his I read it too last night, but thought I'd check back here first :)

How do you cancel HD?
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    The shame is that, if you primarily watch ESPN as I do, you now have to pay for the CL in order to still get it. Just the same as Sky where you have to pay for the cost of the EPL rights whether you want that or not in order to see their other sport. BT obviously didn't trust enough people to sign up for BT Sport Europe on its own as a premium product. I doubt BT Sport Lite will be available beyond next season - they probably reckon that most people who want BT Sport 1 will probably want BT Sport Europe anyway. Hey ho.

Via Sky it seems so. Possibly not via Virgin if you can get it.

There is another year of the deal where BT Sport and ESPN is 'free' within the XL package (no extra HD charge either to get these in HD) and the Daily Mail claimed the other day that XL will include BT Sport Europe at no extra charge next season....although Virgin only say that they are negotiating with BT over the new channel. So I would not bet on that. But I doubt that BT can take away ESPN until the original carriage deal with Virgin ends.

Virgin have even switched on Premiere Sport for free during the next 2 months - ostensibly to allow them to watch Copa America but more likely a 'do not leave us yet to go to BT' holding tactic whilst they do some deal with BT.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I wonder where missbtsport is now, seeing as she was promised all the BT Sport channels free for ever!
    No doubt she still has her deal, and i expect it includes BT Sport Europe too now..........
    :D
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a Sky HD TV Customer with Sport package and BT internet customer at the moment I get BT Sport HD and ESPN HD for free and am puzzled as to how this new BT set up will affect me. I have received no e-mails as yet.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    I wonder where missbtsport is now, seeing as she was promised all the BT Sport channels free for ever!
    No doubt she still has her deal, and i expect it includes BT Sport Europe too now..........

She is in fact a bloke.....

Any idea when the Sky pricing will be announced?
  • Options
    Rambler80Rambler80 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    I am a Sky HD TV Customer with Sport package and BT internet customer at the moment I get BT Sport HD and ESPN HD for free and am puzzled as to how this new BT set up will affect me. I have received no e-mails as yet.

I am in the exact same position. I only renewed my BT broadband earlier this year as I received one those letters telling me to renew all lose free BT Sport. I am not happy the HD charge is somewhat excessive and I may ditch this. BT Sport lite is worthless because most of the live content (MotoGP, WTA, Rugby, european football is on BTS2). I'm not happy about any of this and am reviewing my options.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rambler80 wrote: »
    I am in the exact same position. I only renewed my BT broadband earlier this year as I received one those letters telling me to renew all lose free BT Sport. I am not happy the HD charge is somewhat excessive and I may ditch this. BT Sport lite is worthless because most of the live content (MotoGP, WTA, Rugby, european football is on BTS2). I'm not happy about any of this and am reviewing my options.

One option is to get BT TV, go for the cheapest package which doesn't cost anything apart from a £35 activation fee and then you will get BT Sport for free...bear in mind the box connects through your aerial and doesn't have wifi.

The only downside is now I don't trust anything BT says now or in the future, they promised customers with internet free BT Sports if you renewed your contract for a further 12 months, not only that but you have to opt out with BT else it is automatically assumed you want the package.

People criticise Sky for their methods, but BT are the most sly, underhand company that I have had the misfortune to use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    She is in fact a bloke.....
    LOL! Didn't realise that.
    He has gone rather quiet lately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    The only downside is now I don't trust anything BT says now or in the future, they promised customers with internet free BT Sports if you renewed your contract for a further 12 months, not only that but you have to opt out with BT else it is automatically assumed you want the package.
    Well you can still have BT Sport for free, it's just that it will be BT Sport 1 only from now on!
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Well you can still have BT Sport for free, it's just that it will be BT Sport 1 only from now on!
    :)

Not what I was offered when a renewed by contract late last year though...was it?

If I had known then I would have not bothered and not renewed my contract, and could then change suppliers if I so wished.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Not what I was offered when a renewed by contract late last year though...was it?

If I had known then I would have not bothered and not renewed my contract, and could then change suppliers if I so wished.

You can terminate your contract without penalty if they materially disadvantage you by changing the channels, or prices. You will have 30 days to do this when they inform you of the changes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    You can terminate your contract without penalty if they materially disadvantage you by changing the channels, or prices. You will have 30 days to do this when they inform you of the changes.

Which they are not allowing you do....because it is in the T&C somewhere.