Options

Irritating and pointless email from Sky.

PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A few weeks back Sky sent me a letter offering a free HD box which I decided to take up. The letter said I could either self-install it or arrange an engineer visit. Phoned them and ordered it and it duly arrived. Due to my work schedule being mostly evening shifts I record a programme(s) most days so even though I've now had the box nearly two weeks I still haven't installed it as I'm still watching and clearing recordings from my existing box before swapping them over, which I expect to do in the next few days.

Earlier today I get a text from Sky saying "we've noticed you haven't yet installed your HD box. Need help? Phone..........". Then I found an email with the subject line "We need you to set up your Sky+ HD box". The email says "Remember, our terms and conditions require you to set up within 31 days. After this time we'll automatically start charging for your Sky TV subscription, even if you haven't completed the set-up".

Firstly during the phone conversation the Sky rep confirmed that it would be a self-install box. I told him I intended to watch and clear the recordings from my old box before swapping them and he said 'of course, that's fine'. Secondly there was nothing in the small print in the offer letter, or during the phone call, to say that I had to set up the box within 31 days. Thirdly I made no changes to my package-I'm on original bundle with Sky sports and am not taking the HD pack-and the rep confirmed the box was completely free with no hidden catches, no extra charges and no changes to my subscription.

I could understand the 'install within 31 days' point if i was taking HD and/or making other changes to my subscription but since I'm not, as far as I'm concerned I've got as long as I like to change the box, so as it stands this email was unnecessary and pointless, though I do realise it's probably been automatically generated.

Comments

• Options
    Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Are you sure the box wasn't free when taking multi-room? I thought that was the only way for existing customers to get a free new HD box
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely sure. The letter was headed "Get your free replacement Sky+HD box". I still have an SD box (as regular readers will have realised from my postings in other threads). Other members have reported receiving a similar letter.
  • Options
    malcommalcom Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had a new box I have so much unwatched recordings on my 1TB box that it would take months before I wanted to set up a new box. 31 days is ridiculous.

The main reason I have not left sky is because of the backlog of recordings I don't want to miss. Otherwise I am so angry with them at the moment over price rises and failed technology like the series link new series facility.

To me the fact it is down to broadcasters to flag the series link is no excuse, Sky should have sorted problems with broadcasters before claiming the technology to be available.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    If I were you I'd just install the new box and get it set up so it's registered on Sky's system, and then just put the old box back again temporarily to view your old recordings. This will involve pairing your viewing card to the new box of course.
    You would need to re-pair your card to the old box to watch any recordings from premium channels, and then re-pair it to the new box when you're done, but it isn't a big deal to do that now, and it should get sky off your back!
    :)
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcom wrote: »
    If I had a new box I have so much unwatched recordings on my 1TB box that it would take months before I wanted to set up a new box. 31 days is ridiculous.

The main reason I have not left sky is because of the backlog of recordings I don't want to miss. Otherwise I am so angry with them at the moment over price rises and failed technology like the series link new series facility.

To me the fact it is down to broadcasters to flag the series link is no excuse, Sky should have sorted problems with broadcasters before claiming the technology to be available.

But if it 'works' and it is the individual broadcaster that have got it wrong, then that is not Sky's fault !
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    If I were you I'd just install the new box and get it set up so it's registered on Sky's system, and then just put the old box back again temporarily to view your old recordings. This will involve pairing your viewing card to the new box of course.
    You would need to re-pair your card to the old box to watch any recordings from premium channels, and then re-pair it to the new box when you're done, but it isn't a big deal to do that now, and it should get sky off your back!

I think it only needs pairing for Premium channels, so the likes of Sky1 shows will play back fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malcom wrote: »

Surely though, in those months you'd have recorded more, so you'd never change your box!
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I think it only needs pairing for Premium channels, so the likes of Sky1 shows will play back fine.
    That's right, as I said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    That's right, as I said.

Sorry, was reading it on my phone, missed the word Premium lol