BIG Moon tonight

Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
Forum Member
If you have a clear sky tonight - take a look at the Moon - preferably the sooner the better.

The Moon's orbit is slightly elliptical - and tonight is quite a rarity in that the Full Moon coincides with it's perihelion (the point where it is closest to Earth)

Average distance to the moon is around 385,000km - but tonight's full Moon comes when it is 'only' a little over 350,000km away.

Doesn't sound much - but the effect is that the Moon will appear around 14% bigger than usual, and may well be noticeably brighter too.

Added to that - the fact that the Moon appears to be bigger, when it is low in the sky - means that if you get a chance to see it when it's low tonight - it could be quite impressive.

Don't hang around though if you want to see the effect at it's best - if you have a clear view to the horizon, it will have just risen a little while ago.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can the moon appear bigger depending on where you are on the planet, can it be an optical illusion?
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    Can the moon appear bigger depending on where you are on the planet, can it be an optical illusion?
    A moon low in the sky looks much larger. It's a rather curious optical illusion.
  • mickzmickz Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    No its the 'Moon Illusion' , thanks wikipedia

So yes OP your quite correct :D

Cloudy skies outside so will miss it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The weather forecast after they did the moon story suggested you'd be very lucky to see anything thru the cloud and rain tonight. What a shame.

Apparently it would be an excellent night for seeing shooting stars as well.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »

When it's straight up, it will be a little bigger than it is for someone at the same time who sees it near the horizon - because it will be nearer by roughly the radius of the Earth.

However - for the person seeing it near the hrizon, it will SEEM to be bigger because of an effect known as the 'Moon illusion'
    When it's low enough for your brain to compare it with trees, buildings etc....it seems bigger than when it's high up in the open sky, with no familiar objects near enough for comparison.
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn! So not a mass trouser drop then ? :(:o

G
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Apparently it would be an excellent night for seeing shooting stars as well.

Yep - peak of the Geminids shower is tonight.

Although - meteor showers are best when the Moon isn't up, washing out the background sky.
  • _Ash__Ash_ Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sort of on topic...

Two blondes talking... One said to the other 'What's further, the Moon or Florida?' The other blonde replied 'Hellooo..! Can you see Florida??'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Weather is a bit cloudy here, I will keep a look out.
    Forum Member
    _Ash_ wrote: »
    Two blondes talking... One said to the other 'What's further, the Moon or Florida?' The other blonde replied 'Hellooo..! Can you see Florida??'

Like the customer who complains to his optician that he can't see very far with his new specs....
    Optician - What's that bright yellow thing in the sky
    Customer - Duh! - It's the Sun.
    Optician- How f'in far do you WANT to see?

:D
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    cobaltmale wrote: »
    Damn! So not a mass trouser drop then ? :(:o

G

there will be at my end :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    Yep - peak of the Geminids shower is tonight.

Although - meteor showers are best when the Moon isn't up, washing out the background sky.

Ah right. And yes, I'd have thought it was better without the extra light.

Was the Geminids show on last week too? I ventured out in the cold to have a look at the planets and managed to see a shooting star. I was surprised given the amount of light pollution here.
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Was the Geminids show on last week too? I ventured out in the cold to have a look at the planets and managed to see a shooting star. I was surprised given the amount of light pollution here.

Meteor showers are rarely one-night affairs.
    The Geminids last from about the 8th to the 17th December.
    The 'peak' is tonight - but you can see Geminids at any time between those dates - just not so many as on the night of the peak.

As well as the regular annual showers - you can see a random 'sporadic' at any time.

If light-pollution is bad, you'll see fewer (you won't see the dimmer ones)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    Meteor showers are rarely one-night affairs.
    The Geminids last from about the 8th to the 17th December.
    The 'peak' is tonight - but you can see Geminids at any time between those dates - just not so many as on the night of the peak.

As well as the regular annual showers - you can see a random 'sporadic' at any time.

If light-pollution is bad, you'll see fewer (you won't see the dimmer ones)

I guess it was the geminids then. I've done midnight rambles as a kid in wales and only seen 1 or 2 shooting stars all night. I saw this one almost as soon as I got outside.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I thought the moon was incredibly bright last night - I thought I'd left a light on in the garden before I realised it was the moon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just peeping out of the clouds here at the moment.