Options

Come Dine With Me 2011

Comments

• Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm seriously considering giving up on CDWM. I love the original format and Dave Lamb's commentary but I am getting thoroughly fed up with fancy dress/ theme nights etc. I SKY+ and FF through the recaps and 'entertainment' which leaves barely a 15 minute show to watch.
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show must still be as popular if not more so than ever and pulling in decent advertising revenue because for all of us that aren't best pleased with it anymore, they still insist on having the "silly" contestants and all the other "silly" stuff

If they announced that they were to make no more, I wouldn't be bothered
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soneil wrote: »
    Does anyone know the music that was played during today's apple bobbing scene?

Gizza link and I'll have a listen.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    I am getting confused with all the repeats of CDWM but I had prevously missed today's one. So I will assume it was a fairly new one. :confused:

Alex was a right pain and yes Janice had a huge chip for some reason!

I would love to watch a programme(s) where there was some great cooking plus some great hosts. Got fed up with all the silly upmanship/squabbling/awful food. :(

This could be such a great show (which it was at the start - although maybe I need to see some of the early ones and be proved wrong.)

Opinions will vary but I think you'll find that the earlier series had plenty of awful cooking and irritating guests! Weeks where there have been 5 really good cooks and they've all got on well have always been fairly rare - and I've watched every series. In fact some of the most annoying guests for me ever on CDWM were in series 2/3 which filmed about 5 years ago.

I would say the main difference between now and earlier series is that people who take part now are more 'aware' of the show which is why we now seem to get more people who are deliberately playing to the cameras, rather than conducting themselves as they really would at a real life dinner party, almost always to their own detriment. Often they are actually really good chefs though! Also the production and editing is a lot slicker now.

In fairness to the producers they don't really know how 5 strangers are going to get on in advance nor how good their meals are likely to be - that is the whole premise of the show and the main reason why it continues to get steady ratings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Dave wrote: »
    And given all the old tat crammed into his gaff what is the one thing she feels compelled to have a pop at?

Obviously it's his weird, unaccountable and anti-social possession of books!

The barbarians are no longer at the gates - they are sat at the table, moaning.

Quite, she showed herself up as a complete ignorant car. Well done Bev for sticking up for him.:)
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philomina, who does she remind everyone of? An 80s actress, bugging me now!
  • Options
    wannabegothchavwannabegothchav Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea27 wrote: »

Helen Lederer? Thats who she reminded me of!
  • Options
    SmoothySmoothy Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Ethelene wrote: »
    Could it that the EPG on your recorders think this series is a repeat?
    It shows as a repeat on mine.

Worked it out. Because I ran out of space, the scheduled items were permanently marked as "General Error" so wouldn't record. I deleted the series link on this show and re-set it.

I still don't know why last week's episodes aren't online anywhere though.
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opinions will vary but I think you'll find that the earlier series had plenty of awful cooking and irritating guests! Weeks where there have been 5 really good cooks and they've all got on well have always been fairly rare - and I've watched every series. In fact some of the most annoying guests for me ever on CDWM were in series 2/3 which filmed about 5 years ago.

I would say the main difference between now and earlier series is that people who take part now are more 'aware' of the show which is why we now seem to get more people who are deliberately playing to the cameras, rather than conducting themselves as they really would at a real life dinner party, almost always to their own detriment. Often they are actually really good chefs though! Also the production and editing is a lot slicker now.

In fairness to the producers they don't really know how 5 strangers are going to get on in advance nor how good their meals are likely to be - that is the whole premise of the show and the main reason why it continues to get steady ratings.
    I think they have a very good idea on how they might. It's a similar thing they do with all their shows where they pick roles for people to play and if they aren't quite living up to them, they edit them a certain way.

It's obvious they set the shows up a certain way, the way you get one person saying they don't like a certain kind of person followed by the next person letting us know they are that person.

It doesn't help as you say that a lot of the contestants now are happy to play up to the cameras even if it means they come across as a complete burk
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helen Lederer? Thats who she reminded me of!

When salon lady starts giving daggers to Charlie
    she looks like a blonde Karen MacDonald
  • Options
    KasphlamKasphlam Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philomena or whatever she's called is just awful, almost can't watch it because of her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I think they have a very good idea on how they might. It's a similar thing they do with all their shows where they pick roles for people to play and if they aren't quite living up to them, they edit them a certain way.

It's obvious they set the shows up a certain way, the way you get one person saying they don't like a certain kind of person followed by the next person letting us know they are that person.

It doesn't help as you say that a lot of the contestants now are happy to play up to the cameras even if it means they come across as a complete burk

I agree. They do a pretty thorough screening complete with menu. So the guy that is serving meat with every course will get paired up with the vegan. And we are all supposed to think its hilarious.
  • Options
    CookmeparsnipsCookmeparsnips Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm I was getting irritated with most of them last night. Bev now reminds me of a lady I used to work with who was all about the boys- she used to run around and fuss over all the male staff members saving them food from the cafe and running errands for them, but if a woman dared to ask for a similar favour she'd refuse! She had a husband and 2 sons and I nearly died when she voiced her philosophy that women are only here to look after the men. You what?!!
    Still feel sorry for quiet oddball Adam, tho he was right that he was robbed yesterday- what was all that about, I think maybe the host didn't want Bev involved in the prize as she was irritating her so much.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kasphlam wrote: »
    Philomena or whatever she's called is just awful, almost can't watch it because of her.

Yes, we seem recently to be in a bit of a run of gobby, loud women who appear think that because they talk absolutely non-stop that they are 'really interesting' and anyone who doesn't is boring.

Also can anyone explain why it is that hosts that have a 'glitz and glamour' evening are almost always ugly dullards?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that Rebecca and Philomina "bonded" over face lifts and boob jobs spoke volumes to me.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone believe that Bev is only 52? Or did I mishear her?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she she said 51 or 52 the other night - can't remember which
    Some people have said on here in the past that you have to provide
    proof of your age to the production team before filming starts
  • Options
    Miss CheefMiss Cheef Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Just catching up with this. Bev's being really catty. I loved it when she said Rebecca was all about appearance and she thought inner beauty was more important. Cue Dave Lamb at his sarcastic best 'You're so deep Bev' :D:D:D
  • Options
    Snuggles2012Snuggles2012 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    lea27 wrote: »

Not an 80s actress, but she reminds me of Sarah Lancashire
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    Miss Cheef wrote: »
    Just catching up with this. Bev's being really catty. I loved it when she said Rebecca was all about appearance and she thought inner beauty was more important. Cue Dave Lamb at his sarcastic best 'You're so deep Bev' :D:D:D

Bev seems so bitter she bleaches her hair so does care about her appearance.

She looks like Kerry Katona in 5 years time to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show must still be as popular if not more so than ever and pulling in decent advertising revenue because for all of us that aren't best pleased with it anymore, they still insist on having the "silly" contestants and all the other "silly" stuff

If they announced that they were to make no more, I wouldn't be bothered

Exactly right - there's dozens (hundreds?!) of posts in this thread echoing your last paragraph, but the show is clearly still popular. I've had a bit of a realisation in other forums along these lines - because we post on here i think by definition that makes us a good deal more obsessive than 99.9999% of the viewers of the shows we post about. :D

In the main, CDWM is a drop-in zero-effort tv show for winding down after work or around tea time. I for one still watch or sky+ every single episode :o but in the main I suspect people just drop in for an odd episode here and there and the long-winded recaps probably mean that this majority of viewers can do just that.

I still enjoy more weeks than I don't. :)
    (Although this week is a week that I don't!! :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why they just don't rename it "Come Bitch With Me". One clear indication that the food is only incidental these days is the cutting of the piece where they would follow each contestant shopping for their ingredients. It gave a bit more background and insight, and was about THE FOOD!
  • Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    idiot_box wrote: »
    I don't know why they just don't rename it "Come Bitch With Me". One clear indication that the food is only incidental these days is the cutting of the piece where they would follow each contestant shopping for their ingredients. It gave a bit more background and insight, and was about THE FOOD!

I hadn't noticed it had gone till you mentioned it - but you're right :eek:

It just leaves more time for the nonsense :mad:
  • Options
    CookmeparsnipsCookmeparsnips Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it appropriate that there was a witch outside Mena's house?!!

I think she's going to win. She'll slate this guy tonight whatever happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it appropriate that there was a witch outside Mena's house?!!

I think she's going to win. She'll slate this guy tonight whatever happens.

Too true. Good as her food was I don't like her
    She's moaned about most of the other menus and
    not really marked them very highly. So unless the
    others give extremely high marks I fear you are spot on

That said I'm not really keen on any of them this week
    Mr Clutter has probably been the fairest and most
    consistent all week with comments/marking but so boring
This discussion has been closed.