Options

Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread, Week #45

13»

Comments

• Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if the slot could be still used or has it been lost. I thought under FRND EPG rules it had to be reactivated within 30 days, certainly to retain the same LCN?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    14 July 2015 - I think - unless it has been back since

It returned on 8th September but was removed again on 29th September.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to KOS, Ummah CH+1 has been relabeled 'Muslim Ummah'
    http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=date_maj&filtre=no
    Yep-

Update

11.597 V, 22.000, 5/6, DVB-S, QPSK.

'Ummah CH+1' has been relabelled as 'Muslim Ummah'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It returned on 8th September but was removed again on 29th September.

I thought it had made another comeback since. Strathclyde will be the best man in the know if, under Sky's EPG allocation code, if this LCN can be re-sold or if once 30 days has expired then it's gone forever?
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    High Time wrote: »
    I don't see any reason why it should not be FTA there are no rights issues involved and it is available worldwide online. Putting it on the UK EPG would go down well with Irish expats in GB, allowing live viewing of RTE news bulletins and Prime Time etc.

Are there any rights invo;ved with content they buy in from agencies such as Reuters and others?
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    British Eurosport & British Eurosport HD now showing on the EPG as Eurosport 1 & Eurosport 1 HD
  • Options
    StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    I thought it had made another comeback since. Strathclyde will be the best man in the know if, under Sky's EPG allocation code, if this LCN can be re-sold or if once 30 days has expired then it's gone forever?

Sky is pretty strict in enforcing their rule that if a channel is off-air, the EPG agreement is suspended, then after 30 days it is terminated. The slot is lost, and cannot be sold/reused. There are however a few "exceptional circumstances" where the off-air period might be extended.

What can also happen is that while the lapsing agreement is suspended, it can be transferred to ("bought by") a new owner. The 'new' channel might belong in a different genre, so the replacement channel could well appear, under the old EPG Agreement, in another genre (at the end of that genre). An EPG agreement relates to a channel, not to a specific EPG slot.

Sky DOES enforce very strictly the FRND rule that if a new owner takes over the EPG agreement, it will only get to use the existing slot if (of course) it belongs in the same genre. If the slot is thus vacated as above, the empty slot cannot be filled , and the slot is "lost" forever, until the next genre reshuffle, and the gaps are squeezed up.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that explanation Strathclyde. Oh, and BTW do you happen to know when the Christmas freeze is this year? Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    Thanks for that explanation Strathclyde. Oh, and BTW do you happen to know when the Christmas freeze is this year? Thanks

I think it's been posted before, but it's from 6am on Wednesday 16 December 2015 to 6am on Wednesday 6 January 2016.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's been posted before, but it's from 6am on Wednesday 16 December 2015 to 6am on Wednesday 6 January 2016.

Thank you for that.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there any rights invo;ved with content they buy in from agencies such as Reuters and others?

Usually not. Sometimes there may be a restriction on certain footage like "not to be used in China".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky is pretty strict in enforcing their rule that if a channel is off-air, the EPG agreement is suspended, then after 30 days it is terminated. The slot is lost, and cannot be sold/reused. There are however a few "exceptional circumstances" where the off-air period might be extended.

What can also happen is that while the lapsing agreement is suspended, it can be transferred to ("bought by") a new owner. The 'new' channel might belong in a different genre, so the replacement channel could well appear, under the old EPG Agreement, in another genre (at the end of that genre). An EPG agreement relates to a channel, not to a specific EPG slot.

Sky DOES enforce very strictly the FRND rule that if a new owner takes over the EPG agreement, it will only get to use the existing slot if (of course) it belongs in the same genre. If the slot is thus vacated as above, the empty slot cannot be filled , and the slot is "lost" forever, until the next genre reshuffle, and the gaps are squeezed up.

Many thanks Strathclyde for that explanation. It was the 30 day rule I was interested in clarifying. If indeed Africa Channel is gone for good then I'd assume (they'd be daft not to) sell that slot to recoup any losses rather than let it go.

I'm aware of one pending channel launch before Christmas, not in the Entertainment genre so maybe they've purchased the slot to go at end of the appropriate genre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks Strathclyde for that explanation. It was the 30 day rule I was interested in clarifying. If indeed Africa Channel is gone for good then I'd assume (they'd be daft not to) sell that slot to recoup any losses rather than let it go.

I'm aware of one pending channel launch before Christmas, not in the Entertainment genre so maybe they've purchased the slot to go at end of the appropriate genre.

Transferring an EPG slot from a company which is dire financial straits is high risk (for the buyer), as a lot can go wrong.. If the company is already in administration, it's even more risky.

Chapter and verse on the Sky rules is in the "Method for allocating listings in Sky's EPG" document, hidden away on the Sky Corporate website at http://corporate.sky.com/regulatory - select the regulatory dropdown, and it's the first item.

The document takes some understanding, and has also to be read in conjunction with Sky's standard "EPG Listing Agreement" which is the contract with the Broadcaster - but they don't publish the standard form of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE

12.129 V SR 23000 FEC 8/9 DVB-S2 QPSK (unmodulated)

This mux and its labels have now been removed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Transferring an EPG slot from a company which is dire financial straits is high risk (for the buyer), as a lot can go wrong.. If the company is already in administration, it's even more risky.

Chapter and verse on the Sky rules is in the "Method for allocating listings in Sky's EPG" document, hidden away on the Sky Corporate website at http://corporate.sky.com/regulatory - select the regulatory dropdown, and it's the first item.

The document takes some understanding, and has also to be read in conjunction with Sky's standard "EPG Listing Agreement" which is the contract with the Broadcaster - but they don't publish the standard form of that.

Cheers, I'll have a read through that at some point. I thought if a company was in administration then the administrators would be wanting to sell the EPG slot to recoup other money for creditors, especially with it being a valuable asset dependant on its placement within the relevant genre?
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    British Eurosport & British Eurosport HD now showing on the EPG as Eurosport 1 & Eurosport 1 HD

They've had an on screen re-fresh too looking now. New logos and dropped "British". Although I haven't looked in a while so this may have already happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers, I'll have a read through that at some point. I thought if a company was in administration then the administrators would be wanting to sell the EPG slot to recoup other money for creditors, especially with it being a valuable asset dependant on its placement within the relevant genre?

Well, the Directors of the company are no longer in charge once it's actually in Adminstration, and the Administrators aren't necessarily aware of concepts like realising cash from the trading of an EPG slot, and are unwilling to get into a complicated process. Plus, Sky will in any event want paying in full any outstanding debt due to them, before they will agree to a transfer.

I've rescued a few EPG slots from companies in Administration, but it's not for the faint-hearted.
  • Options
    obrienmichael05obrienmichael05 Posts: 3,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTV CLASSIC is now MTV XMAS.
  • Options
    jonniedoyle_irljonniedoyle_irl Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I meant this:

Quick Question: whats 503 & 504 in the UK? Why I ask is I was thinking that RTÉ News Now & Oireachtas could be go onto 503 & 504 here in Ireland!

Sorry for any mistakes!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quick Question: whats 502 & 503 in the UK? Why I ask is I was thinking that RTÉ News Now & Oireachtas could be go onto 502 & 503 here in Ireland!

502 is Bloomberg
    503 is BBC News SD/HD
  • Options
    lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    502 is Bloomberg
    503 is BBC News SD/HD

504 is BBC Parliament, so assuming that's not available in Ireland, wouldn't 503/504 be a likely position?
  • Options
    jonniedoyle_irljonniedoyle_irl Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    So could 503 be RTÉ News Now & 504 be Oireachtas TV (moved from its number at the min) when Sky add more RTÉ channels
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So could 503 be RTÉ News Now & 504 be Oireachtas TV (moved from its number at the min) when Sky add more RTÉ channels

Yes in the Republic as they're not in use there but in Northern Ireland, no as they have BBC News & BBC Parliament on
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the Directors of the company are no longer in charge once it's actually in Adminstration, and the Administrators aren't necessarily aware of concepts like realising cash from the trading of an EPG slot, and are unwilling to get into a complicated process. Plus, Sky will in any event want paying in full any outstanding debt due to them, before they will agree to a transfer.

I've rescued a few EPG slots from companies in Administration, but it's not for the faint-hearted.

Do we know for sure that they have gone into administration? Their Facebook page is carrying on as though the removal of the UK Channel never happened!

Their website is still up, but the TV listings are now blank. They were previously being updated even when the channel was off air/the EPG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week 46 is now available. Please post your observations here. Sorry for the delay this week.

The thread will be changed still on a weekly basis, on Thursday this week
    Week 47 will be posted around 19 November and will run for approx 1 week. Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread week 46 can be found
    Here
This discussion has been closed.