cat pooing indoors

GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
Forum Member
My 15 month old cat, Maisie, has pooed in the house twice in the last week in different places.She has a sister, Polly and they go outside whenever they want. We live in a very rural area so it is very safe. They haven't needed a litter tray since they were 9 months old but I have now brought one in for her and she is using it. I really don't want to go down the litter tray route again but don't want to upset her or have her messing in the house again. What would you advise? In every other way she seems healthy and content.

Comments

• dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bad weather has probably thrown her routine out. I've kept a litter tray for my two even when they go outside most of the time.

My girl cat has started using the litter tray recently, she has now developed cystitis which the vet thinks is stress related due to the bad weather.

She might just be unhappy about the weather, and so is going in the house as a result of that.

Are there any new cats in the area, that could be stressing her out too?

Hopefully it's just a phase. :)
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long have you had Polly? Could it be the introduction of another cat causing disruption to her routine?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Following on from dollymarie's observation about the weather - is there anywhere suitable for her to go? They like sandy soil without plants all over, so at the moment it maybe she can't find anywhere to her liking. Maybe you need to fork over an area of the garden and maybe add some sand if its clay rich.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I personally believe a litter tray should always be available to a cat in the home. Could be any number of reasons down to something upsetting her outside and she doesn't feel safe enough to go outside anymore down to the weather, available toileting or a new cat in the territory.
  • GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone - it's made me feel a lot better about it. there has been a lot of wind and rain recently so I can't blame her for not wanting to go out. Polly is her litter mate and is much more adventurous. And yes, there is a cat wandering around who spooks them so it all adds up.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it gets sorted OP. Polly is a great name by the way, and I'm not biased because it's my cats name or anything ;)
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat has a big garden as well as a litter try. But she will only use the litter tray out of desperation.
  • GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Maisie is going outside again as usual now that the weather has improved. Today she spent the afternoon outdoors then came in and used the litter tray! I daren't not have it in case she goes on the floor again.