Car tax worry

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    sorry to take over the thread but i've got a small query - my insurance policy is with swift cover but being internet only i don't get paper copies of my insurance documents, I need to get my car tax as it ran out last night and can't wait for it to get done online do you think that the PO will accept my insurance certificate if i print a copy off myself from my swift cover account?

Hey, I'm with Swiftcover and looked into this. I was informed that as long as the certificate is printed in colour and on good quality paper it will be accepted. Also, There is a covering letter printed with it from some guy from Siftcover stating that this is the certificate. AFAIK Post offices are aware of the swift cover situation and accept it. :D
    Hope this helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to tax it tonight then.Means if it comes out in 48 hours it should come out Thursday well I hope if it doesn't i'm in trouble.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Some of the advice here is wrong, or risky.

The law changed a while back (2004). There are now ONLY two options - tax your car or SORN it. There is no option to do anything else - the fine is now automatic, the only question is how many days grace you get, and they don't tell you that. :rolleyes:

Best advice is to SORN it online NOW. You then tax it when you can. Alhough you shouldn't drive it without displaying a valid tax disc, you'll probably get away with it, as long as the main database shows the vehicle with valid tax.

DVLA

its getting Taxed in 20 odd hours , im sure its not worth the bother of getting it SWORN .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is from 2003 so things might have changed:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/news/MOTORING/29186.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My head is spinning now :D Thanks for all the advice guys I really do appreciate it.

I just hope I don't get a fine for them.I am wary about taxing it today or tomorrow as if it comes out Thursday I will get a £30 fine+ at minimum and mess up career path tehre :(
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    Hey, I'm with Swiftcover and looked into this. I was informed that as long as the certificate is printed in colour and on good quality paper it will be accepted. Also, There is a covering letter printed with it from some guy from Siftcover stating that this is the certificate. AFAIK Post offices are aware of the swift cover situation and accept it. :D
    Hope this helps.

thanks for that! luckily i've got a colour printer at work! lol

one other small query - i've just moved house and my tax reminder was sent to my old address as i've only recently sent off my change of address thing to the dvla and my post is being re-directed so i have that but with my old address, obviously swiftcover updates overnight so when i changed my address online it's got my new address on it - will there be a problem if the addresses don't match on the certificate and the reminder?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alex_r_pc wrote: »
    My head is spinning now :D Thanks for all the advice guys I really do appreciate it.

I just hope I don't get a fine for them.I am wary about taxing it today or tomorrow as if it comes out Thursday I will get a £30 fine+ at minimum and mess up career path tehre :(

Have you phoned the DVLA? I was in your position in August and phoned them and they told me I had something like 7 working days to get my car taxed as long as it was off the road and I wouldn't have to SORN. BUT I would recommend you phone then to confirm this is the case! IIRC as long as insurance and MOT is up to date you have a few days leeway so long as you are not using the vehicle. BUT PHONE THEM :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give them a call on the morrow as they'll be in bed now :D
  • Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a bit of an exception to driving without tax...

I had mine stolen (not sure when). When I got back from my holiday mid July having left the car in the office car park I drove it back home and went straight to bed. Got up the next morning to go to work and on walking round the front of the car (I'd parked slightly differently to normal to get the cases out) I noticed the disc was the wrong colour and said it expired October 2007!

I called the Met Police who gave me a CAD number and said to display that in the window. The DVLA computer said my car was taxed so as far at the police were concerned if I got pulled and they wanted to do me for failing to display, I was to quote that CAD and that would give me a reasonable get-out as I was to get a replacment disc ASAP.

Problem was calling the DVLA, the only way I could get a replacement disc was either writing off to them with a form (which I needed to get from a local DVLA office or via post) which could take up to 2 weeks - the DVLA's own stupid procedures allow you to BUY a new disc instantly, but up to 14 days to REPLACE one!

In the end I bit the bullet and just retaxed the car 4 months early and got a form to send back to DVLA to get a refund. Problem is due to various things cropping up I haven't gotten round to sending it yet.

Chances are I may only get 1 months tax back and forfeit the 3 months double tax.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP.
    If you can afford to run own and run a car, why can't you budget for your road tax. £3 per week would cover it and save you having sleepless nights.
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you only get automatically fined by the dvla after 2 months of no tax - if it's on your driveway then as long as no one crashes into it! then you should be ok - and tobe honest it would be a real jobsworth of a policeman who fined you if your tax is only a couple of days past its renewal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    alex_r_pc wrote: »
    Thanks :) I am taxing it in about 26 hours so in total it'll be about 50 hours untaxed. Can I drive it straightaway or do I have to wait for the disc?

There has recently been a change in the law as from 1st September.
    If you have applied for your car tax, you have a period of 5 days grace during which you can legally drive your car on a road as long as you are still displaying the old VEL.
  • ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Major wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure; does it look like a usual Certifcate of Motor Insurance?

As far as I am aware you have to have an original certificate. I cannot believe that they did not send you one.

I would contact Swift asap.
  • stackmanstackman Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no grace period during which you can drive it on the road after the tax expires.

However I do understand that if it is off the road you have 14 days to re-tax it or declare SORN.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    stumblebum wrote: »
    There has recently been a change in the law as from 1st September.
    If you have applied for your car tax, you have a period of 5 days grace during which you can legally drive your car on a road as long as you are still displaying the old VEL.

My tax ran out and I was driving my car on the 2nd of this month. When going to the post office it looked like I had misplaced my certificate of insurance (fortunately, I hadn't). I rang the DVLA to see what I could do and they said there is NO grace period, if you haven't got tax you can't drive on the roads, period.

Unless the guy I spoke to was misinformed of course.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich+Tea wrote: »
    My tax ran out and I was driving my car on the 2nd of this month. When going to the post office it looked like I had misplaced my certificate of insurance (fortunately, I hadn't). I rang the DVLA to see what I could do and they said there is NO grace period, if you haven't got tax you can't drive on the roads, period.

I think that's correct. I've read before on this forum that if you get your disk online, you can keep the receipt in the car to show the Police if they stop you, to show you've paid, but you'd still be guilty of failing to display a valid tax disk. So although you might get away with driving without having paid for, or displaying, a tax disk, you will get the proverbial book thrown at you if anyone in authority stops you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Rich+Tea wrote: »

It only applies if you have already applied for your tax. As I said, it's a very recent change to the law so not everyone may be aware yet
  • BassthoundBassthound Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enigma. wrote: »
    Technically I think you can get a fine right away, but in reality you have a few weeks before you should start to worry.

I'd agree with this. I can't remember the circumstance (something to do with me working away) but I remember ringing the DVLA and explaining it would be a couple of days after the month and asking did I need to SORN the car for 72 hours and they said no it was fine.