Options

SONY KDL40W2000 or SHARP LC42XD1E?

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a new 1080p tv for my new ps3 and sky hd. I have max 1500 to spend and have highlighted the above 2 tv's i am interested in.. Please can you help and let me know the one you would go for or suggest a better one if you can.

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well in my view the Sony is streets ahead of the Sharp in picture quality and is one of the best LCD TVs (around the 40"/42" screen size) on the market at the moment. Some people also reckon the W2000 picture is better than the more expensive X2000 model.

I would suggest that you find a store that has your short list on display and go view them yourself before making a final decision. The only advantage I can see for the Sharp is that it is two-three hundred pounds cheaper.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    I would agree that it's best to compare them side by side, on both SD and HD, any competent dealer would be happy to do so!.

I've not tried using those two sets, but I had a Sony and Sharp 32 inch side by side for a few days in the workshop, and to be honest I didn't think the Sony was worth the extra money - on some pictures it was better, but on others the Sharp was better. Perhaps overall the Sony might be slightly ahead?, but it was really too little for the price difference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Any ideas how to get rid of the only problem I have had with the picture on my Sharp 42" LCD they look like they are made of playdoh when the action is fast on the faces.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should also consider the new Samsung LE40MB86BDX thats the one I think I'm going to go for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    technophob wrote:
    Any ideas how to get rid of the only problem I have had with the picture on my Sharp 42" LCD they look like they are made of playdoh when the action is fast on the faces.
    Change it for a Plasma set? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    technophob wrote:

Turn the noise reduction settings to off and sharpness to minimum. Also make sure you're suing DVD/Freeview or, is SKY that the output is set to RGB.

Or as the other poster says, you could buy a low-res plasma :D