Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giffgaff are an MNNO owned by Telefonica O2 who have had 4G available to the public since September 2013. The giffgaff offering may be interesting as it's O2's budget offering. They don't need any infrastructure installed as they just need to open access to the already publically available O2 4G network.

exactly, and giffgaff did say they'd be launching in March 2014, and now seems Three are doing the same thing.

I also remember someone in this thread saying 29th January was the launch date, I wonder what happened to that
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I also remember someone in this thread saying 29th January was the launch date, I wonder what happened to that

They were wrong. Hence why I ignored it. The date was more to do with masts going live rather than Three's 4G service going public.
  • SkieSkie Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    GiffGaff still don't allow iPhone tethering though, unless that's changed very recently.
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skie wrote: »
    GiffGaff still don't allow iPhone tethering though, unless that's changed very recently.

Well its more Apple won't give them a carrier profile because they don't sell the iPhone that would allow Giffgaff to allow it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    They were wrong. Hence why I ignored it. The date was more to do with masts going live rather than Three's 4G service going public.

From three blog

"We’ve started to enable 4G on customer accounts. This will be ongoing until the start of March"

Seems like it's already going public. As you said before, once your account is activated you will be able to use 4G.
    Forum Member
    joscmc wrote: »
    From three blog

"We’ve started to enable 4G on customer accounts. This will be ongoing until the start of March"

Seems like it's already going public.

I'll believe it when I see it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it.

Ha! Well at least it's a start. They could have said it will be ready in time for Christmas :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Well its more Apple won't give them a carrier profile because they don't sell the iPhone that would allow Giffgaff to allow it.

Are you sure?

Why would Apple care?

GG already offer SIMs to use 'their' network, Apple won't give a hoot if people can tether or not.

More like GG is more about economy and that's why they don't allow tethering.
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure?

Why would Apple care?

GG already offer SIMs to use 'their' network, Apple won't give a hoot if people can tether or not.

It's true. Apple restrict things like this. To get a carrier file an MNO/MVNO needs to commit to selling a x amount of Apple iPhones. giffgaff being small aren't in a position to make those sort of commitments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    Are you sure?

Why would Apple care?

He's correct.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joscmc wrote: »
    From three blog

Seems like it's already going public. As you said before, once your account is activated you will be able to use 4G.

just like blog staff said they launched it to the public in December and that they would launch on 800MHz first. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Did Three say December 2013 or 14? lol
    Forum Member
    Did Three say December 2013 or 14? lol

• mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    It's true. Apple restrict things like this. To get a carrier file an MNO/MVNO needs to commit to selling a x amount of Apple iPhones. giffgaff being small aren't in a position to make those sort of commitments.

Couldn't you get carrier files from third parties at one point (e.g. to make it work on T-Mobile US before they officially had it)?

Has Apple stopped that, or could giffgaff not create their own file and distribute it themselves?
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't genuinely get the issue that some have with tethering on Three 4G- remember that in the short term relatively few people will be connected to 4G. I don't feel congestion will be an issue until the majority of Three's user base is on 4G- a long way off. Even then the solution will likely be a speed capping.

Anyone reading this thread would think that the public wants restricted, expensive (although very quick) 4G like EE's offering. I'd like competition that drives the price down to a sustainable level and Three's offering will achieve that I feel.
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    I'd suspected so, but then it is able to take measurements across bands while in Cell-DCH both for switching to 2G and for switching between WCDMA on 900 and 2100Mhz bands. It also switches from 4G to 3G while on DCH just fine.

Furthermore it'll switch from 2G to 3G during GPRS/EDGE data transmissions yet never does so during a voice call, despite the latter leaving more pauses due to only using one TDMA timeslot. So it's not always that simple.

If you're right though, then I guess this means once VoLTE comes out switching back down to 3G during a call will be fine but it'll never go back up to 4G once signal improves - much like the situation with 3G => 2G fallback now - so I'd still have to wait a few years until 4G coverage becomes ubiquitous before being able to rely on 4G only mode.

Well off topic for this thread but just to say it's not impossible and can be done as part of the standard but it's not something that is considered important so we end up just with reselection on its own for now.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say that the improved speeds on 4G, especially uplink speeds, is really only truly appreciated when tethering.

I don't often need 25Mbps or above on my phone. For one, my phone isn't syncing a lot of my data in the cloud like my computers. I am just streaming on demand, and if I'm not downloading or storing files then a don't need huge speeds. I just need a good speed and low latency.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to pay more for 4G and then have an operator give me something I could just buy on my own.

Spotify, Sky Sports, goal clips... let me have 4G for no extra cost and pay a subscription like everyone else!
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »

No idea what idiot is going go with that if you want Premier league matches go with Vodafone you get full matches then and not just highlights. Both are limited to only part of contracts as well.
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I don't want to pay more for 4G and then have an operator give me something I could just buy on my own.

Spotify, Sky Sports, goal clips... let me have 4G for no extra cost and pay a subscription like everyone else!

Agree honestly I have sky sports already at home so I get Sky go to use on the go and if I want to watch I would use my tablet not my phone.

Honestly can't you watch highlights for free anyway ?
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh. Yuck. SO that's what my O2 price rises are going towards paying for.

While I agree I dislike paying extra for 4G and having the money go towards crappy "value-add" services I do not care about, I did also save a lot more money while abroad last summer thanks to EE's roaming tariff, only available on 4G.

It's rare that I ever find a package that contains exactly and everything I want and no more - same applies to phones, laptops, home broadband, and every other technology product tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Urgh. Yuck. SO that's what my O2 price rises are going towards paying for.

While I agree I dislike paying extra for 4G and having the money go towards crappy "value-add" services I do not care about, I did also save a lot more money while abroad last summer thanks to EE's roaming tariff, only available on 4G.

It's rare that I ever find a package that contains exactly and everything I want and no more - same applies to phones, laptops, home broadband, and every other technology product tbh.

It's not even really an add at all as anyone can watch highlights of football matches. This is O2 trying be a competitor to Vodafone/EE and failing quite badly,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    No idea what idiot is going go with that if you want Premier league matches go with Vodafone you get full matches then and not just highlights. Both are limited to only part of contracts as well.

In most of the Vodafone contracts it's for the duration of the contract. It's only the lowest tariffs for each phone where you get 6 months
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xreyuk123 wrote: »
    In most of the Vodafone contracts it's for the duration of the contract. It's only the lowest tariffs for each phone where you get 6 months

Thanks for that I didn't realise another reason Vodafone is better company to go to lasts longer and if cornerstone is to be believed will have an identical network coverage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is a recent speed test on Three Ireland`s 4G network looks very tasty indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw3UAIBRyS0
This discussion has been closed.