Options

One-Off Villains/Monsters that should have returned

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
Forum Member
✭✭
Alongside the many regularly returning enemies like the Daleks and the Cybermen etc there have been a long list of one-off villains who have made their own marks on stories but never got a second outing. A lot of these villains usually ended up dead or where so integral to their own story it would be hard to see a return.

However, there are some villains and monsters that I would love to have seen back for a second crack at defeating The Doctor. I think one of them is Count Grendel from The Androids Of Tara. One of the few enemies the Doctor didn't completely defeat, he was still out there and a return to Tara for a rematch would have been interesting.

Another one is the Mandragora helix thing from The Masque Of Mandragora. Again it's still out there and though it only came to Earth every few hundred years, it could be faced elsewhere.

Stretching the point a little, the Celestial Toymaker was worthy of a rematch. I know he should have been back in the original Season 23 but I think he should have been back before then, it was an opportunity wasted.

Anyway, that's some of my thoughts to get the ball rolling. Remember, this isn't necessarily about one-off villains you would like back for the New Series but who maybe should have come back in the Classic Series. Plus there maybe some one-off New Who villains you think should have come back.

:)

Comments

• Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stretching the point a little, the Celestial Toymaker was worthy of a rematch. I know he should have been back in the original Season 23 but I think he should have been back before then, it was an opportunity wasted.

I've been saying they should bring him back ever since the show returned.

Not a returning character, but I'd also like to see a sequel to the Mind Robber -
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Draconians.

Maybe have the Doctor on their side against an Invading Human army.

The Rutans

We need to see an encounter from the Rutan/Sontaran war without end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I always thought the Toclafane were rather good. They certainly had more potential than to be just another ally for the Master
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    The reapers. Also the dreamlord, although I suppose the doctor who have to inhale some kind of hallucinogen again for that to happen.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mechanoids or the quarks.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kandyman.

and no I'm not joking.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sil. Nabil Shaban was great.
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »

Sil wasn't a one off

As for the Kandyman that will never happen, Bassetts were told it would never appear again.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you like the Celestial Toymaker you can find him battling 7 in the audio story: The Magic Mousetrap.

I haven't heard it yet but apparantly its good
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vastra nerada
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll do my usual killjoy response of saying I'm not as interested in seeing returning nemeses as I am in seeing new ones.

BUT... :P

The Monk could be pretty cool (but please don't call him 'the Monk'... as he isn't actually a bloody monk :P)

As for 'should have', as in 'would have been cool in an alternative past'; I've said it before: Troughton as Salamander showing up in the Pertwee era would have been pretty cool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    I'll do my usual killjoy response of saying I'm not as interested in seeing returning nemeses as I am in seeing new ones.

BUT... :P

The Monk could be pretty cool (but please don't call him 'the Monk'... as he isn't actually a bloody monk :P)

As for 'should have', as in 'would have been cool in an alternative past'; I've said it before: Troughton as Salamander showing up in the Pertwee era would have been pretty cool.

Though both Sil and The Monk(Sorry Tom, but what else do you call him?) were not one offs I would still like to see them both back in the show.

Also agree about the Draconians, they were a race with a difference and weren't just your average villain, would be interesting to see what the New Series could do with them.

• Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Monk (played by Michael Palin)
    The Rani, obviously (Daniela Nardini, if Kate O'Mara deeclines the initial offer)
    Draconians
    Malus
    Tractators
    Axons
    Tereleptils
    Rutans (I spose shapeshifting makes them too similar to Zygons)
    Drahvins
    Mechonoids (maybe too big and cumbersome)
    Reapers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Would love to see the Vashta Nerada back!

Classic one-off's should be left alone in my opinion (Zygons were welcome by me in 50th though).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silence
    Family of Blood
    Dreamlord

Rani
    Toymaker
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would love to see the Vashta Nerada back!

Classic one-off's should be left alone in my opinion (Zygons were welcome by me in 50th though).

I disagree. I think now and again it's nice to have a story with a one-off classic villain in it, but I agree it doesn't always work. The Macra in Gridlock, despite all the CGI and stuff, didn't seem as effective as in their debut story.

It all comes down to how well you use that villain and insert them into a new storyline. If it's done well, there's no issue imo.

• Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I say it every time that this topic comes up, but I still reckon that the Nimon are the best baddie that never was (unless you count God Complex as a return). Horns was gash, and their costumes were half-arsed at best, but the idea behind them is well worth revisiting.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    Sil wasn't a one off

As for the Kandyman that will never happen, Bassetts were told it would never appear again.
    I forgot Sil was in Mindwarp.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see a return of the Mechanoids and the Quarks!!
    Both were quite pathetic in their first appearances......but with CGI - they could be made a lot more menacing I'm sure!!
    The Mechanoids could be a lot bigger - and do better than a flame-thrower!
    The Quarks could be similar - but speak with a deeper voice! (that would be a start!)