Missed Opportunity: What if Danny had been Missy's companion?

Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
Forum Member
Rewatching Series 8 (okay, fine mostly Dark Water/Death In Heaven), a part of me was wondering what would the whole series had been like had it been revealed that Danny was actually Missy's companion and was sent to spy on both the Doctor and Clara at her behest.

Would it have made Danny more interesting as a character?

Would the conflict between the Doctor and Danny been more interesting than the whole soldier issues as well?

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think the 'apparently nice character turns out to be evil minion' thing is a bit played out. It's far more interesting - and a better character study - to have the conflict on the basis of who they are rather than some external factor.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Danny wouldn't be actually be evil. He'd believe that Missy was the good guy and the Doctor/Clara were bad but as he travelled with them, he'd learn what was really going as such.

Or he could be evil. Maybe Danny/Clara could've been Moffat's take on the whole Ward/Skye thing like in Agents of SHIELD, lol.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be in the minority but I actually liked him. Don't know if it would have worked if he had been evil. You never know he might return again. If Danny and Clara were really meant to be together and possibly be Orson Pinks grandparents would a silly petty little thing like death stop them ?. Imagine the Doctor finding a way to re unite them . Even if it means losing his best friend to "PE". He would want Clara to be happy.:o:(:):p
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Me too. I just don't understand all the hate for Danny Pink. One poster thought the character was a controlling type. I just didn't read that into him at all. He was a really nice guy with a troubled past who loved Clara, even though she constantly lied to him. All he really wanted was for her to be honest with him.

Still puzzled by the hate. :confused:
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Pink may have been something of Clara's ideal companion, as they got on rather well, enjoyed each other's company but if Danny Pink had some of the characteristics of The Doctor mixed in, maybe even more so, of a match of sorts. Surely Clara does love Danny Pink her way but maybe for Clara, love is complicated because there is all that stuff people do, to get ahead and they miss all the good stuff and in a way Clara needed to show Danny Pink that but unfortunately time got in the way. If Danny had been Missy's companion, may have been even more complicated:D
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things usually go full circle. I wouldn't be surprised if Missy does return at then end of S9.
    She brought Doctor and Clara together. So is it really beyond the realms of possibility that she would somehow be involved in Clara leaving the doctor ?. It doesn't have to be direct but as a consequence of something she does.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Danny couldn't be interesting if he was plugged into the national grid. Boring character played in a monotone by an actor who (hopefully) did his best whith poorly written, stilted dialogue. can't understand why Clara would fall in love with him.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote:
    can't understand why Clara would fall in love with him.
    Could The Tardis have brought Clara and Danny closer together for a reason, so that they fall in love. The Tardis, the matchmaker.:D
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    Doing pretty much anything even mildly interesting with Danny was a missed oppourtunity.

He is the only supposedly semi important character I can think of who's presence actually detracted from episodes, as any scene he was in always had to be in present day earth, talking relationship stuff with Clara, which wasted precious minutes of doctor adventure time. It could have been said those scenes were justified if he had turned out to be interesting in any way, and those scenes had a pay off, but after now his apparent 'story' seems to be done, and he came to nothing, he seems to have been the single most pointless character ever in the show.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    deleted