The Writers Tale 2?

saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
Forum Member
✭✭
Of course it would be called something completely different and hopefully not co-written with a shameless fanboy (unless it's me) but can we ever expect Moffats own volume on his years writing for Doctor Who and Sherlock?

The Writers Tale is one of the finest books on the writing process ever penned with its only weakness being the complete lack of objectivity and critcism of the subject by Ben Cook. But considering all the fun and games during his tenure one imagines The Moffat Years would make it look positively tame in comparison. Where do you even begin to list the things we could find out!

I have a vague memory that in DWM or somewhere Moffat already shot down the idea and said it would never happen. Anyone got any quotes on this? And if he was to write it what would intrigue you most?

For me it would be knowing all the what its and could have beens about the actual plot of the show. It was great reading about all the stories and characters that were rewritten or scrapped by RTD and I get the impression Moffat reworks alot of stuff and also that mant changes have had to be made due to outside circunstances. Blimey. A book could probably be written on the 50th anniversary celebrations alone.

Comments

• PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be very interesting and would help clear up a lot of things but I can't see Moffat ever doing it, I think he will keep his cards close to his chest.

It seems like from what we do know and reading between the lines and what's implied by certain things happening (like producers leaving left right and centre, I mean what happened with Carol Skinner she got dropped very suddenly into her short run) that behind the scenes things have been topsy turvy and releasing a book might cause problems in that it could (just speculating) drag some people through the mud and those said people wouldn't be to happy about that and retaliate in some fashion. It might also not show Moffat in a good light which maybe why he wouldn't do it.

Who knows.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,318
    Forum Member
    It would be interesting to hear his side of things, but in a way I think the oppourtunity has passed. I say this because with the writers tale it's all e-mails and texts from the exact time things were happening, so it feels raw and gives you a real sense of the situation at that moment and all the pressure, uncertainty, and thought processes at each point.

As such Moffat trying to write about his tenure now wouldn't be half as revealing, as he wouldn't remember details of the time when writing about things (just as RTD probably wouldn't have if he'd written it afterwards, and indeed there are a few sections in the book where he looks back at an earlier part and is surprised at his thoughts and feelings of the earlier time), and there would be a tendancy to remember things with rose tinted glasses or even purposely write certain things in a way to make himself sound better. In short it might still offer some insight, but not anywhere near the level that the writers tale did.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Moffat's book would be bigger and darker and feature EVERY...DALEK...EVER!!! ;)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Moffat's book would be out of sequence, lol.

Would definitely love to read his Writer's Tale though.
  • pferreirapferreira Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Definitely having now read the Writer's Tale it's an excellent example of how not to run a show. There is much to be learned by this book. ;-)
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,318
    Forum Member
    pferreira wrote: »
    Definitely having now read the Writer's Tale it's an excellent example of how not to run a show. There is much to be learned by this book. ;-)
    Well they had a while lot of success during the period which is documented in the writers tale, so I wouldn't describe it in that way at all.

Yes, it's evident that RTD struggled with the deadline's, but what is also evident is a man who lived and breathed the show for his time as show runner, and I think his passion was reflected by the quality onscreen.
  • nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a great book, it turned me from someone who could be a bit sneery about RTD's tenure (largely the early days) into his #1 fan.

I'd love to see Moffat do a similar book, but I doubt it'll happen. :(
  • pferreirapferreira Posts: 338
    Forum Member

Yes, it's evident that RTD struggled with the deadline's, but what is also evident is a man who lived and breathed the show for his time as show runner, and I think his passion was reflected by the quality onscreen.
    To be fair RTD did have a passion, just I think there was too much messing around and juvenile behaviour going on behind the scenes. RTD was most crucial to the series as he was handling the scripts but he clearly shows in The Writer's Tale he was happy to chuck in a monster, some CGI and call it an episode.