Upsetting article about elephants being tortured for tourists

gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This article has had me in tears. Something needs to be done to help these poor creatures.

"At first, I don’t believe they are living, breathing animals.
They seem like statues, or stuffed exhibits in a museum – 57 of them, studded around a patch of scrubby forest. Then one of the elephants, Nandan, a 43-year-old tusker, or male, begins to bellow and struggle against the chains that bind his hind feet to a stump and his front legs to a tree, cutting into his flesh. He cannot lie down. He cannot stretch out his hind legs. He cannot reach the water butt, which is empty anyway.

A temple employee – this is where the Guruvayur Temple in Kerala, southern India, houses its elephants – blows his whistle: it’s a command for the elephant to stand still. I creep closer, pushing past hundreds of families on a day out. I am with Duncan McNair, the London lawyer who founded the non-government organisation Save The Asian Elephants (STAE) in January, and Dr Nameer, a professor and Head of the Centre for Wildlife Studies in Kerala."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3199391/Tortured-tourists-Chained-spot-20-years-Beaten-submission-secret-jungle-training-camps-terrible-plight-Indian-elephants-LIZ-JONES.html#ixzz3iwIaG0zH

I know elephants are not pets but the mods have put threads like this here before. Apologies if it is in the wrong place.

Comments

• stevejk75stevejk75 Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disgusting treatment of these beautiful elephants.>:(
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevejk75 wrote: »
    Disgusting treatment of these beautiful elephants.>:(

I agree with you it makes me very angry and upset. It's a pity there cant be a mass boycott of the country until they stop treating the animals like this.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately animals will always be tormented as long as people are willing to see it - you only have to look at how many people visit places like SeaWorld :(

You might be interested in this website, I started making small donations after hearing about Raju.

http://wildlifesos.org

Sometimes it just helps to know that there ARE people trying to do something positive :)
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately animals will always be tormented as long as people are willing to see it - you only have to look at how many people visit places like SeaWorld :(

You might be interested in this website, I started making small donations after hearing about Raju.

http://wildlifesos.org

Sometimes it just helps to know that there ARE people trying to do something positive :)

I agree with you I hate SeaWorld and tourists swimming with dolphins too I will never do it.

I was in tears over Raju's plight I understand they are making a movie about his story so hopefully that will educate people about the suffering of these magnificent creatures. Thanks for the link they are a wonderful organisation I will donate to them.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't like people very much. I much prefer animals. That's it.