Options

Techika T835 firmware

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    futaura wrote: »
    I've been thinking of adding a tips'n'tricks page to my website for a while now, and this gives me more movivation to do so :). This feature has been present since the T810 days, but has never been documented in the manuals. Those buttons are probably going to wear out the quickest on my remote :D.
    Regarding the Skip buttons the Manual for my Wharfedale LP250HDMI (T825) in the annotations for the Remote Control keys (Page 9) it identifies the function of the Left/Right direction keys as "Navigation/Skip 2 minutes (left/right)" This is the only manual I recall which shows this information.

Another feature on all the Vestel PVRs I have used (T816, T835, T835) is that the PR+ and PR- buttons can be used to skip up and down the entries a page at a time in the Guide, Library and Timers list. Although the the direction of skipping respective to each key has been reversed between different PVR versions.

Colin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    futaura wrote: »
    Normally, of course, you'll get the conflicts page come up when you set the timer up and you sort it out then, but occassionally with series timers, you can get conflicts without knowing.

There are indeed times when conflicts arise without knowledge. I have experienced it twice this week with a loss of recording because of it. I am currently running V5.2 which generally seems to work as well as 3.4 . I had set "The Chase" on ITV and "Masterchef " on BBC2 on series timers but on Wednesday and Thursday this week "The Chase" recorded both on ITV and ITV+1 and because I was also recording "the local news" on BBC1 a conflict arose at 6.30pm preventing "Masterchef from recording except for the last three minutes. I presume this has occurred with the broadcaster not sending the correct information although it may just be the box getting itself mixed up but it does seem to be random since up to now today timers is only showing one booking for "The Chase" - I have now deleted all timers for "The Chase" and reset the series recording because other duplications of this programme were showing! Although repeats of series bookings does not generally seem to be happening with this version after deletion from library, whenever there is two episodes of "Coronation Street" and I delete them the first epsode is repeat recorded on ITV2 but strangely not the second episode.
  • Options
    tweenietweenie Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    another for the tips and trick page that I discovered recently. This is on 5.2.

If you wish to find out what is on now/next on another channel (and record if wish) whilst stll being able to hear/partly watch current channel -

whilst on current channel - press info, then use up/down to get to channel that you want to see now/next. you can then toggle with left/right from now to next and you wll be able to see full info.

whilst on now/next you can press record and it records/schedules for the channel you have the banner up for ( not the one you are watching).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does one box upgrading from 3.4 to 5.2 trigger an FTI and another doesn't ? One a Bush the other Hitachi

I decided to allow my mother's box to upgrade this week as my own didn't ask for FTI/rescan and I had hoped I might be able to teach her alternative method of recording as mentioned in above post.

Just had the phone call as FTI popped up and I had to talk her through doing a rescan.

She accepted it gracefully although had missed part of Saturday kitchen.

I think it was a waste of time as I tried to teach her something earlier in the week but she will still stick to instant record.

All future updates will be switched off.

edit: was this info on firmware.org.uk wrong ?
    Firmware v5.2 Broadcast 10:00 on Wednesday 10th October 2012 until 09:00 on Friday 12th October 2012.
    if that broadcast happened I should have received phonecall Thursday morning.
  • Options
    futaurafutaura Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tweenie wrote: »
    edit: was this info on firmware.org.uk wrong ?
    Firmware v5.2 Broadcast 10:00 on Wednesday 10th October 2012 until 09:00 on Friday 12th October 2012.
    if that broadcast happened I should have received phonecall Thursday morning.
    I never use firmware.org.uk, but yes it is wrong. The source info that site uses is obtained from the DTG site. For some reason, the DTG initially listed the OAD repeat for the times your mention, but it was in the Freeview HD section. Not sure what mux the Freeview HD OADs are broadcast on, but if it is on the HD mux then obviously putting a T835 update there is pointless. Anyway, the mistake was correctly and it was moved from Wednesday to Friday, and onto the regular PSB1 engineering broadcast channel.

Obviously, firmware.org.uk did not detect this change - I guess their scripts need fixing to handle such cases. Fortunately, my site immediately picked up the change automatically :).
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what are the chances fo this box getting a proper update before christmas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what are the chances fo this box getting a proper update before christmas?
    What do you mean by proper? v5.2 is an improved version of v3.4 - the only bug added that springs to mind is the CVBS setting in the config not working properly, which is in most cases not an issue as RGB is usually better, and TVs that don't support RGB will still be able to pick up the CVBS signal anyway.

I have been wrong before, but I wouldn't be surprised if v5.2 was the last ever T835 software release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update on my 'skipping' problem - no real progress

I reverted back to 3.4 and as Futaura predicted that does not seem to make a difference.

I tried to 'force' the problem by watching a recording and FF etc whilst recording another. Did not cause problem.

So I have been making a list of exactly what I am recording and watching and it can happen when only one program being recorded and nothing being watched (e.g when I am out of house).

But the interesting part is a Humax PVR seems to have exact same problem
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1123518&highlight=skipping
    so what set of circumstances can be triggering it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given that my current box seems to be have needed more frequent (power off/on) I decided to take a risk and purchased another T835 ( very cheap).

It is a Luxor and the software was 0.10 :eek:. There were a few programmes in the library - one seemed to play oddly - jumping forward big sections. Anyway I updated the software to 5.2 and reformatted disk and did a FTI. Seems to work ok so far except that the front display is showing letters rather than the channel number or number of minutes through the program. e.g channel 3 shows as AAAG
    Before the update I'm fairly sure it was showing numbers - I think it updated the time and was showing progress through the recorded program.

Could I have damaged something when moving it to PC to do the software update ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What kind of front panel display does the Luxor have? Is it different to your other T835? Anyway, there are two versions of the T835 software - it sounds like you maybe need the other one. If you can PM your email address, I'll email it to you later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Futaura for the 001 version of the 3.4 software, it did cure the front display problem. I've only just seen you mentioned this version on previous page.

Another box saved from the scrap heap thanks to your expertise and provision of software. :)

Having a second box connected confirmed that the glitching I'm getting is definitely an intereference problem and not disk related ( not rw/ff, ad skipping, deleting or needing format) as I recorded same set of programs on both boxes and glitches in same place. It's just annoying the way it manfiests on the recording - I'd rather see the odd bit of pixellation ( which you see on slow rewind) rather than it skipping a chunk and therefore cutting words out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Greetings, everyone! I stumbled across this forum, unfortunately having just purchased a Humax PVR to replace my Technica T835 which, for many months, has been causing me to tear my hair out.

I've read through previous posts, right back to the start, and it's been a relief to discover that I am not alone! The present problem I'm encountering is that the video output has a tendency to freeze after about an hour's use, irrespective of whether I'm using the unit to watch live television, attempting to program a recording, or playing back a recording. When this occurs, the only solution is to disconnect the unit from the mains supply and leave it for another hour before reconnecting: any shorter period, and the freezing problem recurs within a few minutes. Fortunately, my various recordings are still intact, and I'm gradually downloading them - an hour at a time! - to DVDR whilst the unit is at least partially operational. The firmware has been updated automatically to v5.2: is this a known problem with this firmware release, or does it sound as though there's a hardware fault?

Thanks, David
  • Options
    ZillZill Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    FredTheShred: Video freezing can be caused by a poor signal.

When you say that playback of recordings also freeze, is this always at the same point in any given recording? If so, this would indicate that it is the recording, rather than the playback that is freezing.

However, if playback freezes at a point that has previously played back OK then this indicates that it is the T835 itself causing a random freeze. If this is the case then I would first check to make sure that the ventilation slots are totally clear to allow a cooling airflow through the unit.

Does your Humax also freeze occasionally? If so then I would check out the aerial and cable as this would confirm a poor signal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Zill

No problem with the Humax (thus far, at least!), which indicates the signal strength for all channels as pretty good.

The freezing problem occurs irrespective of whether the video output is live television, the guide, the menu or a recording playback: whatever the video output comprises at the time, it freezes about an hour after switch-on. This would certainly fit with a temperature-related issue, as might the fact that the unit needs to be switched off for a good while to avoid the problem recurring almost immediately. There's nothing to impede airflow around the unit, and it doesn't feel warm to the touch.

There is another problem in that sometimes programmed recording simply doesn't happen, but I guess this could be because the unit has already "frozen" and is unable to start recording.

It's very frustrating because, when it works, the T835 performs (in terms of image quality, features, etc) almost as well as its very much more expensive Humax T2 FOX successor (although the Humax TV Portal (BBC iPlayer) capability is very useful).

David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, it does sound like some kind of hardware failure :(. The symptoms that you describe are certainly not the norm with v5.2. The HDD cannot be ruled out until swapped out with a known working unit, but it does sound more like a problem with the mainboard. There are many things it could be, perhaps solder joint failure, but it is pure speculation. If the freezing problem reoccurs quickly after the unit has first frozen, you could try applying gentle pressure, with an insulated object, to the CPU (centre of mainboard) whilst plugging it in to see if it still freezes. But, whatever, a permanent fix is probably unlikely or not cost-effective :(. The only real fix is to replace the mainboard. If you bought it from Tesco Outlet on ebay, I'd certainly look at returning it if it is still under guarantee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, futaura

I can't really complain about the T835: I bought it new years ago, well before refurbished units became available from Tesco Outlet, so I've had plenty of service out of it. It's such a compact unit, which is why I'm sorry to have to replace it. I'll try what you suggest, but won't be too disappointed if I have to junk it at the end of the day - just so long as it keeps going long enough for me to download three series of "The Killing" to DVDR!

David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was searching to see if I could find any posts on Random reboots when I came across this post. This has only started occurring recently but has affected two Bush T835 recorders which I had set up for my sister. One she has had from new and the other was purchased by me new and subsequently given to her when I moved to a youview box. The boxes had performed reasonably well for her apart from the usual complaints about random pixellation but when she suddenly started having missed or clipped recordings and then random reboots which I was not able to sort out for her, She took the plunge and bought herself a BTYouview box which is installed and working very satisfactorily.

Not wanting to throw the Bush boxes out I brought them home and have been running one of them on test after formatting the disk. For three days it has recorded without problem but only in standby with the time showing. On starting it up to check the recordings when pressing the guide button it performed a reboot. This has happened a couple of times and today whilst recording on ITV when I started it up to check, rebooted without any prompting and repeated the boot twice more in fairly quick succession.

I will as suggested try a first time installation t see if that makes any difference. It does seem strange that two boxes are displaying the same symptoms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pllease ignore my last post. Posted on wrong thread