Options

Girls: would you rather be...

SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...the first person to step foot on Mars or the finder of a cure for cancer?

Comments

• Options
    SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latter. I don't like flying.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly question. Obviously both of those things will be acheived by men.

<runs from thread>
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    The finder of a cure for cancer.
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Why is this exclusive to females?
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finder of a cure for cancer. And then I could cure my mummy. :D

But yes, as above. Not sure of the relevance of being female? Unless it's that stereotypically girls should want the latter more. But then, I reckon probably most people would?
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Find a cure for cancer!

I'll keep watching this thread to see who the first doosh is who says the former. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`m not a girl, but if I was - probably the second choice...

Mars is a bit far.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A man in the street stopped me and asked if I could spare two minutes for cancer research... I said sure but I don't think we'll get much done :o:D

©Jimmy Carr
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if the clues to the cure for cancer are on Mars? They say there's intelligent live out there, let's see how intelligent.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first woman on Mars. :D

I'd have to be very intelligent to find a cure for cancer. And I'm not. And wouldn't want to be.
  • Options
    LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cancer cure.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely the latter. I really wouldn't want to be an astronaut, that is way too hard for me. A cure for cancer is also more important in my eyes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,687
    Forum Member
    When I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up and I would love to be the first person on Mars. However, I've lost too many friends and family to cancer so I'd rather cure that. Then I can be rewarded with a trip to Mars.
  • Options
    AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There already is a cure for cancer (the same as for all other other diseases) we just have to discover it - and one day we will. That's the one i'd go for.

No point in going to Mars, it doesn't support life as there's no atmosphere - a bit like our local pub.
  • Options
    RoundhousekickRoundhousekick Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Our bodies actually cure cancer every day. Our cells are forever dying, repairing and growing and this process occurs everywhere and at different frequencies. For instance; the cells which make up our stomach lining are replaced at a far greater rate than our brain cells. It's just when your body produces and continues to produce too many cells it becomes a problem, a very serious problem. Remember that there are many forms of cancer and so a universial cure is just out of the question. People get different types of cancer for different reasons. Our DNA is unique.

The cures for cancer will be found before 2020, I absolutely believe it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My head says a walk on Mars please, but my heart says cure the worlds ills. What a quandry.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just got over my fear of flying, although I suspect Mars still might be beyond me.
  • Options
    Nuartey1Nuartey1 Posts: 2,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclad wrote: »
    ...the first person to step foot on Mars or the finder of a cure for cancer?

That's a really tough question. I generally don't like and lack faith in human beings, mainly because we're responsible for all our problems, are duplicitous, and it's in our nature to make things difficult for ourselves and think that other people should solve their problems. And then there's the fact that I have this fixation with space and going to Mars/leaving the planet is one of my dreams.

But ultimately, I'd find a cure for cancer, simply because it's the right thing to do. :rolleyes: Although, I would hate myself for the rest of my life and become eternally depressed. :(
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,009
    Forum Member
    Big Pharma don't want a cure for cancer to be found though do they?
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    Big Pharma don't want a cure for cancer to be found though do they?

That was my thought too! Cynical though it sounds there is money in people dying.

My vote would be to find a cure for cancer too.
  • Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First woman on Mars...
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if the clues to the cure for cancer are on Mars? They say there's intelligent live out there, let's see how intelligent.

Intelligent life being 'out there' and intelligent life being on Mars, which is basically on our doorstep and shows no signs of having any significant life whatsoever, are two different things.