Options

Just Dandy, BBC1 Scotland 31/12/12

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Excellent programme about the history and eventual demise of the Dandy comic (now only on-line and not in print).Very amusing. Surely this should get a UK-wide screening as it wasn't just kids in Scotland who bought the Dandy (although it was produced in Dundee).

Comments

• Options
    henderson211159henderson211159 Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Agreed, excellent programme - I was astonished to learn that 'The Dandy' had a weekly circulation in the 50s in excess of 2 million copies.....:eek:
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got this on my PVR to watch later today. I would hope it will be available on BBC iPlayer for those who missed it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Excellent programme about the history and eventual demise of the Dandy comic (now only on-line and not in print).Very amusing. Surely this should get a UK-wide screening as it wasn't just kids in Scotland who bought the Dandy (although it was produced in Dundee).

I completely agree, it's an absoloute shame that we don't get to see more of the shows that are produced by BBC Scotland.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree, it's an absoloute shame that we don't get to see more of the shows that are produced by BBC Scotland.

The same applies to all the regions, we do get a brief chance to see some at Monday 19:30h on BBC HD but most rarely get a network showing. BBC Wales do an excellent series which is similar to Who Do You Think You Are but it has never been shown on network.

I presume that post-Birt BBC network will have to pay a region to show a regional programme on network and with the lunacy of the finances it could be very expensive to show them?

By the way, there was an excellent film on BBC Alba last night. A repeat of a 1954 film about Skye done by the Richard Dimbleby. Should be on iPlayer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new BBC2 daytime schedule would seem to be the ideal place to show some of those programmes from the national regions and obviously they would want to recover part of the cost. There was actually a clip from the Skye film in Scots on the Box last night.
  • Options
    jalfrezijalfrezi Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The same applies to all the regions, we do get a brief chance to see some at Monday 19:30h on BBC HD but most rarely get a network showing. BBC Wales do an excellent series which is similar to Who Do You Think You Are but it has never been shown on network.

I presume that post-Birt BBC network will have to pay a region to show a regional programme on network and with the lunacy of the finances it could be very expensive to show them?

By the way, there was an excellent film on BBC Alba last night. A repeat of a 1954 film about Skye done by the Richard Dimbleby. Should be on iPlayer.

Yes that was excellent. It was followed by a very interesting documentary about singer Barbara Dickson. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jalfrezi wrote: »
    Yes that was excellent. It was followed by a very interesting documentary about singer Barbara Dickson. ;)

Richard Dimbleby spoke Gaelic:eek::eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    tomvoxx wrote: »
    I would hope it will be available on BBC iPlayer for those who missed it.

It is....
  • Options
    Lesley_Ann_McArLesley_Ann_McAr Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have just watched it on the i-player and I remembered characters like Corporal Clot and Bully Beef and Chips being in it in the late 60's-early 70's.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    tomvoxx wrote: »
    I've got this on my PVR to watch later today. I would hope it will be available on BBC iPlayer for those who missed it.
    Yes it is. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pmc9s/Just_Dandy/