An open letter to DS FMs

124»

Comments

• Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Good advice... you almost demanded a death certificate for this one.

This is an example of what I mean, OP. Mesostim has been here since 2002. So that sort of proves that there's never really been a time on DS where everyone has either been pleasant to each other or agreeable! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    louisa320 wrote: »
    Hmm, i never mentioned 'anyone' breaking rules, or say they can't voice their opinions? Infact, i din't really say much!!.. And most certainly 'DID' say i didn't have an issue with anyone on here :)

Well you did bring up the topic of posters being nasty and opinionated.

Maybe I misunderstood, but you seemed to be suggesting they were either the same posters or much the same thing.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed.

And some of those more inane threads can quite often turn into comedy gold.

We'd never have had the hilarious teleporting cat sanctuary thread, the very funny "someone pooed in my pool " thread and many others if we were only ever allowed to be serious :D:D
    Well that would have put me right-off but I've no objections whatsoever with anyone posting something like that.

I guess 'you had to be there?' :D
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Is fora the plural of forum?:confused: I haven't heard the term before. What can be more of a grey area for some, if I'm thinking right, is when a thread is posted and people aren't sure if the OP is being sarcastic or literal in what their asking - ie. if its meant to be a serious discussion or not.
    Yes - sorry, Latin was compulsory at my school :blush:
    I know what you mean, im trying to think how to explain the difference. I think it depends on the wording, whether they seem to imply that their opinion is the only valid one and whether they belittle anyone who attempts to challenge their viewpoint perhaps?.

I should perhaps 'fess up that I don't think I've ever reported anyone, although I've seen unpleasant posts in the past and arguments taking place. I think I maybe feel like if two people are arguing, there's an element of not wanting to get involved and get dragged into the whole thing but online, I don't know if they'd even know if you reported them, if its done anonymously or whatever?.

I've seen posts where people use smileys, like the wink one and I've interpreted some posts as being a bit 'sharp' I suppose the word is but I couldn't be sure if they meant to be really rude or if perhaps the recipient was upset or annoyed by it, so in a sense I guess I'd question who I am to report it? but sometimes I see things like that.
    I know exactly what you mean and I think (could be wrong) that that's something quite unique to DS?

I find the smiley smiley after someone's posted something particularly acerbic really odd.

Personally, I'd rather they just told me to STFU because I'd know where I stood. Why pretend you're being nice when you're blatantly being shitty?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I have no idea what that means.

Can you explain?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea what that means.

It'll probably be snide whatever it means. :(
  • Options
    louisa320louisa320 Posts: 7,459
    Forum Member
    Well you did bring up the topic of posters being nasty and opinionated.

Maybe I misunderstood, but you seemed to be suggesting they were either the same posters or much the same thing.

I did point out it wasn't aimed at me though!

And i did say it was the same posters, but not doing it to me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    louisa320 wrote: »
    I did point out it wasn't aimed at me though!

And i did say it was the same posters, but not doing it to me!

Fair enough.

I'd just go back to what I said earlier, if someone feels another poster is being particularly nasty and abusive alert their posts, otherwise it's likely it will be missed by the Mod(s) on duty and seem if as if nothing is being done about it.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Well that would have put me right-off but I've no objections whatsoever with anyone posting something like that.

Most of those threads are a case of that. Something a bit... rum or juvenile, and turns into a hilarious thread due to how people respond to it. Describe it and you'll get a confused look, experience it and you'll be crying.

Moila's threads will always hold a special place in my heart, just for them being so naively ridiculous and crazy.

We don't seem to get many posters like that though, the quality of forum wum has declined drastically recently. Now they are just obnoxious, creepy or looking for a rise.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    It'll probably be snide whatever it means. :(
    Voynich wrote: »
    This is an example of what I mean, OP. Mesostim has been here since 2002. So that sort of proves that there's never really been a time on DS where everyone has either been pleasant to each other or agreeable! :D

Pot kettle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pot kettle.

No problem. What did you mean by it, though? I'm always getting the wrong end of the stick so if it wasn't some snide dig, then cool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pot kettle.

OK, but an explanation would still be nice.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Worst 'I've been on a super exotic holiday' thread ever :D

(I'm joking, not being nasty)
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes - sorry, Latin was compulsory at my school :blush:

I know exactly what you mean and I think (could be wrong) that that's something quite unique to DS?

I find the smiley smiley after someone's posted something particularly acerbic really odd.

Personally, I'd rather they just told me to STFU because I'd know where I stood. Why pretend you're being nice when you're blatantly being shitty?

Thats ok. I'm not sure I'd agree its unique to DS, I've seen similar things on other forums, though I don't go there anymore.

I think its a show of smugness - I can only imagine they think their being clever, while most people probably just roll their eyes and tut when they see such a post.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats ok. I'm not sure I'd agree its unique to DS, I've seen similar things on other forums, though I don't go there anymore.
    It might be the same posters.
    I think its a show of smugness - I can only imagine they think their being clever, while most people probably just roll their eyes and tut when they see such a post.
    *nods*
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    If you are not happy then you can bugger off and stop speaking down to people as if you are smarter and better than you.

I would not miss you if you went.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Talkgraphics and UKhippy're good for intelligence.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Still no explanation?.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might be the same posters.

*nods*

I doubt it. I'm thinking of an American music forum that closed in 2010 - I used to be a regular FM there.
This discussion has been closed.