Options

Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Quite right - but Mr Morris' customers are not the Great British Public, but the BBC. And he's not upsetting them. The only people getting upset are fans who seem to think that Morris owes them a bunch of old TV programmes. In fact, he has absolutely no obligation to tell anyone anything and it's little wonder he's getting annoyed the constant badgering of fans with a misplaced sense of entitlement.
    Having said that, his public spats with Levine are unbecoming and childish, and his position would be stronger if he refrained from responding to any pointless baiting.

The BBC would have no interest in paying for anything Morris may have found if they cannot then re-sell it to the Great British Public, so yes, the GBP are his ultimate customers. But Be More Pacific is right in saying that those interested in buying the stuff won't be put off by his antics. Perhaps a more pertinent point is that delays will deplete potential customers. I doubt that many Who fans new since 2005 will be that interested in 1960s B&W Who. Those that are most interested will be approaching their 60s or beyond so might not be around too much longer to buy the stuff!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC would have no interest in paying for anything Morris may have found if they cannot then re-sell it to the Great British Public, so yes, the GBP are his ultimate customers. But Be More Pacific is right in saying that those interested in buying the stuff won't be put off by his antics. Perhaps a more pertinent point is that delays will deplete potential customers. I doubt that many Who fans new since 2005 will be that interested in 1960s B&W Who. Those that are most interested will be approaching their 60s or beyond so might not be around too much longer to buy the stuff!

No one knows what is happening. For all anyone knows Worldwide want to get the pay version of iplayer up & running before announcing anything, and Morris can't do anything about it.

The social media spat between Morris & Levine is demoralizing, but we should remain hopeful, because if more episodes weren't coming, it makes no sense for Morris not to just say that.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,101
    Forum Member
    Us fans are not potential customers of TIEA.

I'm not sure that's quite true. We were lead to believe that the iTunes sale proceeds were for TIEA and the DVD sales were for BBC Worldwide. I don't think that was ever confirmed but if true then that would actually make us potential customers of TIEA.

But there's way too much smoke and mirrors in this whole saga to actually know what's true or not. The whole thing is treated as if it were against the national interest to clarify rumours and truth which makes me think several parties in this saga are enjoying dangling just enough information to get fans excited. To be perfectly honest, the whole thing gets old and I'm not surprised that what might have started as playful hints is being perceived in a darker context now.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt that many Who fans new since 2005 will be that interested in 1960s B&W Who. Those that are most interested will be approaching their 60s or beyond so might not be around too much longer to buy the stuff!

If only we had a recent example of lost 60's black and white Who becoming available so we had a yardstick against which to judge potential sales.....:) ;-)
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    If only we had a recent example of lost 60's black and white Who becoming available so we had a yardstick against which to judge potential sales.....:) ;-)

How well did The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear sell?
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes if only. But sales to specific age groups aren't recorded.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Problem is that he's not simply calling for more information. He's being incredibly rude, insulting and childish.
    That's what I have a problem with.

That's why I said, "even if they don't agree with his modus operandi."
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Quite right - but Mr Morris' customers are not the Great British Public, but the BBC. And he's not upsetting them..

We don't know whether he is or isn't - those are business details they are not going to discuss. ("Upsetting" is not the right word, but BBCWW might be happy with the way things are preceding with PM or they might not, or anywhere on the spectrum in between the two states.)

IMHO, and this is a *guess* - I think the BBC would rather be getting on with restoring and releasing the first tranche of returned material, at this time. IMHO, the delays are not BBC-led.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Quite right - but Mr Morris' customers are not the Great British Public, but the BBC. And he's not upsetting them. The only people getting upset are fans who seem to think that Morris owes them a bunch of old TV programmes. In fact, he has absolutely no obligation to tell anyone anything and it's little wonder he's getting annoyed the constant badgering of fans with a misplaced sense of entitlement.
    Having said that, his public spats with Levine are unbecoming and childish, and his position would be stronger if he refrained from responding to any pointless baiting.

Agreed with all the above there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes if only. But sales to specific age groups aren't recorded.

It's a pity we can't mine that data but unless we're talking decades I don't think we need to worry about those potential customers approaching their sixties who apparently won't be around much longer, it's not exactly crumbling old age, bath chairs and Werther's Originals.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    It's a pity we can't mine that data but unless we're talking decades I don't think we need to worry about those potential customers approaching their sixties who apparently won't be around much longer, it's not exactly crumbling old age, bath chairs and Werther's Originals.

I'd be more concerned about the films themselves deteriorating but I assume that TIEA have appropriate facilities for storing them. The thing is that any recovered materials are worthless unless they're handed over, and I would have thought that TIEA being a commercial organisation would appreciate that. In terms of maximising publicity then there were was never a better time than around the 50th anniversary (and probably won't be again until the 100th anniversary) so I can only assume that if TIEA have found anymore films then there are legitimate reasons for holding onto them.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about the films themselves deteriorating but I assume that TIEA have appropriate facilities for storing them. The thing is that any recovered materials are worthless unless they're handed over, and I would have thought that TIEA being a commercial organisation would appreciate that. In terms of maximising publicity then there were was never a better time than around the 50th anniversary (and probably won't be again until the 100th anniversary) so I can only assume that if TIEA have found anymore films then there are legitimate reasons for holding onto them.

I am sure TIEA have factored in whether or not the films are damaged or need restoring and TLC. Given the unusable Morecambe & Wise film, a while back, they have experience of the disappointment that results in losing something you've just discovered.

As for maximising publicity ... some people were muttering that announcing stuff near to the anniversary would mean it got lost in anniversary bonanza; announcing stuff near to new series starting would mean it got lost in new series bonanza; etc etc.

I am sure there are legitimate reasons that the general public don't know what's going on. As I've said all along: we'll get to know the truth in the fullness of time, and we have no idea what is really happening behind the scenes. We have no "right" to know, and a lot of people seem to find that difficult to accept. Certainly, the Levine/Morris tra-la on Twitter is generating rather more heat than light, and is to nobody's benefit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure there are legitimate reasons that the general public don't know what's going on.

They probably feel its none of our business when to be fair it is when they want us to pay for them on DVD.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably feel its none of our business when to be fair it is when they want us to pay for them on DVD.
    Not really. It's not as if BBC Worldwide / 2entertain needs to worry about a fan boycott of Power of the Daleks or any other recovered episodes.

Stuff will be released as and when it's ready. Keeping fans "in the loop" on every difficult negotiation and every heartbreakingly unusable film reel would be foolhardy. No business works like that.
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read this article regarding some missing behind the scenes Doctor Who film footage found for one of the films Dalek Invasion of Earth: 2150 A.D with Peter Cushing from a show called A Whole Scene Going

Article
    http://www.starburstmagazine.com/tv-news/2681-tv-news-more-missing-doctor-who-footage-found

Link to clip
    http://www.timdisneyarchive.com/

I havent been able to play the clip yet as work blocks most sites and not sure if you have to be a member.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    More about the clip here:

http://www.timdisneyarchive.com/clip.php?vid=f3cb239ca

It's from an arts magazine programme "A Whole Scene Going". The Doctor Who stuff is at 1 minute 15 seconds and plays without registration.
  • Options
    Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    No one knows what is happening. For all anyone knows Worldwide want to get the pay version of iplayer up & running before announcing anything, and Morris can't do anything about it.

The social media spat between Morris & Levine is demoralizing, but we should remain hopeful, because if more episodes weren't coming, it makes no sense for Morris not to just say that.

What do you mean pay version?
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The BBC Store where you buy old BBC Content and keep them.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/news/press_releases/2014/bbc_store.html

A pay version of iplayer with permanent downloads has been brewing for some time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    There is a fairly strong rumour going around on Twitter that three complete serials have been found in Australia. They are Marco Polo, The Power of the Daleks and The Evil of the Daleks.
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a fairly strong rumour going around on Twitter that three complete serials have been found in Australia. They are Marco Polo, The Power of the Daleks and The Evil of the Daleks.

I'll believe it when I see it. There have been strong rumours before of Marco Polo being released and Missing Episodes being announced at Easter. Look at how they turned out.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting, but what's the source?
    Also, is this a new rumour, separate from all the Phillips Morris rumours?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the BFI are announcing the content of their extended Sci Fi season today so that may be generating a bit of unfounded anticipatory chatter...
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Eddie from OutpostSkaro is stirring up trouble again by hashtagging Marco Polo. Seems like pointless attention seeking, he's done it before...
    I wonder what would happen if I were to #MarcoPolo...?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Eddie from OutpostSkaro is stirring up trouble again by hashtagging Marco Polo. Seems like pointless attention seeking, he's done it before...

He's a nice guy, but he doesn't have half as much information as he claims to. He's been stirring the omnirumour pot for about a year now and nothing he has "predicted" or "known" or "heard" come to pass.

His approach seems to be 'spray in all directions and hope something sticks so I can take credit'. He knows the BFI thing is on this week, so tweets an ambiguously worded reference to a missing episode. If it's announced, he can say that's what he meant - see, he has sources! If it's not he can say that's what he meant — cos he has sources, you know!

Either way, he will then get to claim credit for having "told" everyone beforehand what was happening (despite not) ergo they should believe him when he says something next time.

;-)