Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anybody watch this?

Any good?

Comments

• ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Yes. Very.

Intelligent, well-written and acted British drama.
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just wondering whether to watch it iplayer or not

I am going to check it out :)
  • marylumarylu Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I thought it was excellent, although I am very very biased towards anything with Martin Shaw in.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if it's actually filmed in Northumberland? I know that it's set here.
    ETA: Thanks to google I found out that it's filmed in Dublin.
  • cazzbarcazzbar Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's actually filmed in Northumberland? I know that it's set here.

I am pretty sure it's filmed in Ireland.
  • berisfordberisford Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    .......however, the camera operator can't hold the camera still or steady during close-ups!

Other than that and the fact that all the vehicles have their Road Fund discs on the wrong side, it's quite a enjoyable gentle (sorry) 90 minutes.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    marylu wrote: »
    I thought it was excellent, although I am very very biased towards anything with Martin Shaw in.

I can't stand Judge John Deed.....Pompous Pratt:mad:

I liked this programme. I liked the attention to the period detail.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the scene that brought home the difference between now and then was when the girl in the park innocently asked if she could have a ride in GG's car.

K
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the books, a really good bedtime read but I tend not to watch anything with Shaw in because I can't stand him. He ruined the one off Adam Dalgleish he did.
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I'm not generally a fan of Shaw, usually I find him a bit pompous and annoying. I watched this because I am a fan of Lee Ingleby, the sidekick, who is excellent, but once I gave him a chance I really liked Shaw in this as well. The story of this one was very depressing but I still thought it was very good. I particularly liked all the details they include about the characters that make it seem much more real than a lot of these shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I thought it was great :)
  • David TDavid T Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    These are filmed in Ireland, so looking for Northumberland landmarks would be a waste of time. One pedantic point, however; whilst it is made clear that the action takes place in Northumberland, when shots are shown of the Police headquarters it is clearly badged as 'Durham Police'. Northumberland and Durham were (and indeed still are) seperate counties, and in the sixties I doubt if the Northumberland cops would take kindly to Durham officers trespassing on their territory!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt even know there had been a Series 1 lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is being repeated right now?
  • ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I didnt even know there had been a Series 1 lol

Pilot in 2007. Two shows in 2008. Another four shows in 2009.

There are dozens (46 in fact) of Gently novels if the BBC wish to do more.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is a question please. Last Friday the BBC showed part 1 of a 2 parter, which we hadn't seen before, but when is part 2 on ? We recorded it on Sky+ series planner and the second part hasn't cropped up to record yet. We deliberately aren't watching part 1 until a day or so part 2.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    I'm not generally a fan of Shaw, usually I find him a bit pompous and annoying. I watched this because I am a fan of Lee Ingleby, the sidekick, who is excellent, but once I gave him a chance I really liked Shaw in this as well. The story of this one was very depressing but I still thought it was very good. I particularly liked all the details they include about the characters that make it seem much more real than a lot of these shows.

Is there any reason you feel the need to call him by his surname which I personally find rude?

As for him being pompous and annoying I can assure you that he isn't.

I've met him many times and he's very pleasant and far from pompous.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pilot in 2007. Two shows in 2008. Another four shows in 2009.

There are dozens (46 in fact) of Gently novels if the BBC wish to do more.
    Here is a question please. Last Friday the BBC showed part 1 of a 2 parter, which we hadn't seen before, but when is part 2 on ? We recorded it on Sky+ series planner and the second part hasn't cropped up to record yet. We deliberately aren't watching part 1 until a day or so part 2.

Last Friday ITV1 screened the UEFA Super Cup which meant there was no Coronation Street which give BBC1 a handy 90 minute slot after Eastenders free from Corrie competition, so they screened a 90 minute George Gently repeat.

It was the first of the episodes from 2008 hence the reason it was listed in your programme information as 1 of 2, but it looks like there are no plans soon for BBC1 to repeat the 2nd episode from the series, which isn't a problem because all GG episodes are 1 complete story.

In other words, this is a long-winded way of saying feel free to watch the episode anytime. It's not a serial.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Last Friday ITV1 screened the UEFA Super Cup which meant there was no Coronation Street which give BBC1 a handy 90 minute slot after Eastenders free from Corrie competition, so they screened a 90 minute George Gently repeat.

It was the first of the episodes from 2008 hence the reason it was listed in your programme information as 1 of 2, but it looks like there are no plans soon for BBC1 to repeat the 2nd episode from the series, which isn't a problem because all GG episodes are 1 complete story.

In other words, this is a long-winded way of saying feel free to watch the episode anytime. It's not a serial.

thanks
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 6 starts tonight @ 9 PM
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of a dilemma for some as it's on at the same time as "Suits" and "The Good Wife."
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) Excellent one of my favourite shows.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is always BBC iplayer
    Today In fact I realised I had not seen the last episode of series 5. So watched that this afternoon
  • prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,091
    Forum Member
    The stuff at the start of tonight's seemed to be completely made up to me. I was only young at the time, but from what I can remember people were glad to be moved out of scruffy old terraces like the ones they were demolishing. I certainly don't recall any near-riots going on. Maybe it was different in Newcastle? :confused:
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or does anyone else find Martin Shaw's accent ridiculous?

Cross between a LOndoner and a foreigner..... (with his own accent mixed in as well)