Options

Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Using this modification it is easy to copy files from Humax to PC.

I have copied the three programme files back from the PC to Humax and whilst you can see the files are there on the Humax (through the file manager on the PC) it doesn't appear in the Media menu when you play the Humax.

Does anyone know the reason for this and is it possible to copy files back to the from the PC to the Humax other than through the USB connection.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaX wrote: »

I have copied the three programme files back from the PC to Humax and whilst you can see the files are there on the Humax (through the file manager on the PC) it doesn't appear in the Media menu when you play the Humax.

Does anyone know the reason for this and is it possible to copy files back to the from the PC to the Humax other than through the USB connection.
    How are you copying them back from the PC? Using Windows Explorer or Filezilla?

You have to use the FTP function of the new AV2HDR to do it (or USB) for the Humax to recognise where the .ts file is using the info from the 2 other sidecar files. If you use AV2HDR using the USB button, which uses the location media/sda1, then move them to the HDR by another method, it won't recognise the location.

Before you press "Go", press the HDD button, choose the location on the HDR in the the file browser, then it will create the correct location in the sidecar files. Then when it has finished muxing and creating the 3 files, choose FTP, and something like "Complete Media Set", and AV2HDR will FTP it up to the HDR. You have to set up the FTP username and password in AV2HDR Settings first.

All this is in the AV2HDR Help menu.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaX wrote: »

You must choose HDR destination folder using within AV2HDR - the actual path is embedded in the .hmt file and if incorrect it will not appear in the media list.

If you have installed samba - you sould be able to edit the existing .hmt directly with AV2HDR from the network share.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Thank guys for pointing me in the right direction. I had not used this software before and now I have and it works brilliantly.

Many thanks to Raydon for writing the programme:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Does the humax box with or without mods allow playing files from a network media server? Or file server?

Nick
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nickdenker wrote: »
    Does the humax box with or without mods allow playing files from a network media server? Or file server?

Nick

No the mod allows it's recordings to be viewed across a network. To play back non-native video it has to be converted to a suitable format and two support files created. This is the function of Raydon's AV2HDR package the latest version of which allows you to directly upload suitable files to the internal HDD or transfer to a usb drive (replay is possible from a usb device)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No the mod allows it's recordings to be viewed across a network. To play back non-native video it has to be converted to a suitable format and two support files created. This is the function of Raydon's AV2HDR package the latest version of which allows you to directly upload suitable files to the internal HDD or transfer to a usb drive (replay is possible from a usb device)

That's a shame. I guess technically not possible. Otherwise could use utils like streaming servers that interface into web sites etc. Like playon or even write a custom FTP or unpnp server. Are there any freesat pvrs that support this?

Or are we talking mythtv, mediaportal etc. ? Played with boxee box which is good but no live tv or record.
  • Options
    MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible, but it would involve essentially rewriting the software, or at least doing one epic hack - so not really practical ;)

Actually, come to think of it, could you mount a drive on a remote computer using a hacked fuse filesystem that also converts the media formats to the necessary ones on-the-fly? Is the box powerful enough for this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muzer wrote: »
    It is possible, but it would involve essentially rewriting the software, or at least doing one epic hack - so not really practical ;)

Actually, come to think of it, could you mount a drive on a remote computer using a hacked fuse filesystem that also converts the media formats to the necessary ones on-the-fly? Is the box powerful enough for this?

I had a thought that you could have a PC box of some sort "prettending" to be a USB drive. I don't think it's technically possible from what I've read up on...

But a NAS unit with USB access to the drive.. That could be connected to the Humax by USB and accessed via a custom application on a PC that, as you say, creates files on the fly...

I had a play around some time back with a WD TV Live - let it access a windows share, and have a VB.NET program monitor directories and files for file-locks. When the WDTV accessed the file, it got locked, then you create other files that then appear - in essense a crude menu system.

If you could get FTP access - it's much easier as you could write a custom FTP server. Saying that I'm sure it would be possible to emulate windows file sharing? Samba does it.

I think this is how a lot programs like PlayTo and Tversity work.
  • Options
    MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Network filesystems are transparent in Linux - simply modifying the mount script to mount another computer instead of a USB drive should, theoretically, be trivial. However, once you have that, you still have the issue of converting files.

I believe the latest hack bundle contains samba.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A custom file system server could detect file requests or folder requests and encode files on the fly, or simple show a "encode top gear" folder or psudo file and then show the encoded one in another file or folder when done.

It could even go off and get streams I guess or at least a downloaded version.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If not already mentioned I see this now works with the Humax Beta firmware 1.00.15

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1433195-media-file-server-bundle-foxsat-hdr-release-3-a.html

Automan.
  • Options
    ohansenohansen Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    FWIW, installed this today on firmware version .13, works beautifully. Got XBMC installed on two Macs and two PCs, Buzz player on the iPhone and iTouch, MediaTomb on my D-Link DNS-323. Configured XBMC to use both the Humax and D-Link as uPnP sources. Funny how you find old stuff, all the videos that have been streaming wirelessly through our ether today probably have been detrimental to our health, but who cares :D ...
  • Options
    ohansenohansen Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    ohansen wrote: »
    ... MediaTomb on my D-Link DNS-323. Configured XBMC to use both the Humax and D-Link as uPnP sources.

Oh am I right in assuming that the default installation gives you 30 days with Twonky, and that you after that will have to pay for a licence?

Anyway since I have a rudimentary MediaTomb knowledge I decided to switch from Twonky to MediaTomb on the Humax as well, I think this was the process, if nobody else cares at least it'll be here for my own reference when the Humax auto-updates :D ...

1)
    cd /opt/etc/init.d
    killall mediatomb

2) Disable Twonky:
    mv S61twonkymedia 61twonkymedia

3) Enable MediaTomb:
    mv 64mediatomb S64mediatomb

4) edit mediatomb.sh (I had to FTP it to/from my Mac), add "--add /media" after "-f config"

5)
    cd /opt/MediaTomb/config
    rm mediatomb.db*

6) edit config.xml (again had to FTP it to/from my Mac):
    a) make sure name is unique: <name>MediaTomb-Humax</name>
    b) ignore anything else than TS files:
    - In <mappings> change "ignore-unknown" from "no" to "yes"
    - Add a map for ".ts":
    <map from="ts" to="video/mp2t"/>
    (if you don't do that all the other filetypes show up in the listing, which is a pain)

7) sh -x /opt/etc/init.d/S64mediatomb start

Stupid question time, has anyone spotted an editor on the Humax???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be been quicker to put the Twonky installer and the Metatomb installer onto a memory stick and placed it into the USB socket. Job Done.
    Twonky does not expire as I think when ^Twonky starts the clock has not yet been set. :)

MediaTomb should get a prize for the crap user interface.:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    It would be been quicker to put the Twonky installer and the Metatomb installer onto a memory stick and placed it into the USB socket. Job Done.
    I think you meant the Twonky uninstaller but yes, that would have been the easiest and most logical thing to do.:rolleyes:
    MediaTomb should get a prize for the crap user interface.:mad:
    Your right there, but after all, it is free :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I've finally had time to install this and I'd just like to say thanks a lot to raydon and all others who have added advice- I used a mixture of mr-marky's upgrade guide for dummies and raydon's extensive read-me with the package. It works like a charm on the Mac OSX 10.5 and 10.6 and it was available immediately as a shared network device.

It took me four USB sticks in the end!
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had the patched firmware installed for a while with Samba and FTP access but I thought I would put the Twonky Media server on the box and attempt to stream SD recordings from the Foxsat to my two Humax Freeview boxes.

The auto install via USB went fine, but for some reason the Twonky Server won't automatically start when the Foxsat is booted. I have to telnet in, change to the init.d directory and issue the command "sh S61twonkymedia start". The server then fires up and appears on the network.

Only a minor annoyance but I can't see why it is not automatically starting? Anyone any ideas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had the patched firmware installed for a while with Samba and FTP access but I thought I would put the Twonky Media server on the box and attempt to stream SD recordings from the Foxsat to my two Humax Freeview boxes.

The auto install via USB went fine, but for some reason the Twonky Server won't automatically start when the Foxsat is booted. I have to telnet in, change to the init.d directory and issue the command "sh S61twonkymedia start". The server then fires up and appears on the network.

Only a minor annoyance but I can't see why it is not automatically starting? Anyone any ideas?

Did you by any chance install MediaTomb as well? That will result in twonky autostart being disabled.
    telnet to your HDR and enter:
    mediatomb manual
    twonky auto

It is all described in the nice bundle ReadMe.txt file.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you by any chance install MediaTomb as well? That will result in twonky autostart being disabled.
    telnet to your HDR and enter:
    mediatomb manual
    twonky auto

It is all described in the nice bundle ReadMe.txt file.

Funny you should say that but I did accidentally install mediatomb but I removed it using the USB uninstall method and then put twonky on. I have checked via FileZilla and there are no remnants of mediatomb left.

I have also uninstalled twonky via USB and re-installed it.

Should I just telnet and do a twonky auto?

Edit: just tried and it said "Twonky auto start is already selected"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have now uninstalled Twonky again and installed Mediatomb. Mediatomb is doing the same and refusing to autostart (even though last night when I installed it by accident it autostarted as expected).

I now have no idea what the problem is? I see the auto start and manual start are simply the renaming of the Sxx scripts to remove the S from the beginning. Everything looks fine!?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have now uninstalled Twonky again and installed Mediatomb. Mediatomb is doing the same and refusing to autostart (even though last night when I installed it by accident it autostarted as expected).

I now have no idea what the problem is? I see the auto start and manual start are simply the renaming of the Sxx scripts to remove the S from the beginning. Everything looks fine!?!
    Hi Richard,
    The twonky and mediatomb auto start function depends on the HDR waiting to acquire a valid IP address before starting. This is event driven by the udhcpc service. It's come to my attention that one or two users have experienced problems when they have set up a fixed IP address on the HDR. On these occasions the udhcpc service is not started as the IP address is already pre-assigned by the settop process. Can you tell me if you have a fixed IP on the HDR, or is it set to acquire one via DHCP ?
    regards
    raydon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ray-don wrote: »
    Hi Richard,
    The twonky and mediatomb auto start function depends on the HDR waiting to acquire a valid IP address before starting. This is event driven by the udhcpc service. It's come to my attention that one or two users have experienced problems when they have set up a fixed IP address on the HDR. On these occasions the udhcpc service is not started as the IP address is already pre-assigned by the settop process. Can you tell me if you have a fixed IP on the HDR, or is it set to acquire one via DHCP ?
    regards
    raydon

The Humax is setup to acquire the IP address using DHCP. I do however have the router setup so that it always gives the Humax the same IP address.

Its very odd because ages ago when you first released the Humax mods I had it working. Then when v1.00.15 firmware came out I took the decision to remove all the utilities, installed the new humax firmware, then the latest release (3) of the modified firmware and then put vsftpd, dropbear and samba on.

I just don't understand why mediatomb or twonky won't autostart (even though media tomb did last night when I installed it by accident)?

While your here raydon, do you know how to change vsftpd and dropbear so that they use different ports?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    While your here raydon, do you know how to change vsftpd and dropbear so that they use different ports?
    To achieve this you need to edit a couple of files.
    For vsftpd open the file /opt/etc/vsftpd.conf and add the line
    listen_port=xxx
    below
    listen=YES

For dropbear open the file /opt/etc/init.d/S62dropbear and modify the line
    /opt/bin/dropbear
    to read
    /opt/bin/dropbear -p xxx

For both replace xxx with the port you want to use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers raydon for the info on changing ports - I'll give that ago sometime!

Anymore thoughts on why Twonky and Mediatomb won't autostart? Do the Samba startup scripts also do this network check because that autostarts fine.