Why isn't The Liver Birds out on DVD?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
This was one of the most iconic British sitcoms of its era but only series two was given a DVD release and I believe even that is out of print, according to Amazon.

Why is this? Other Carla Lane sitcoms like Bread and Butterflies have been given DVD releases and I'm sure the Liver Birds sales would justify the effort of a release if done properly.

I know there are a lot of programmes that aren't on DVD but should be, and I can't imagine The Liver Birds being overly affected by something like music rights so what's the deal?
It seems strange for such a landmark series to be left forgotten to collect dust for seemingly all time.

Comments

• mllfapmllfap Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Liver Birds was licenced by Playback from the BBC.
    Playback have a history of long delays between series and incomplete runs.

Like other deleted licenced titles the BBC may well do it themselves at some point.

Is the first series wiped or only available in B&W?
    I can only see a dvd release of series 2.
    Even Playback normally go in order
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mllfap wrote: »
    The Liver Birds was licenced by Playback from the BBC.
    Playback have a history of long delays between series and incomplete runs.

Like other deleted licenced titles the BBC may well do it themselves at some point.

Is the first series wiped or only available in B&W?
    I can only see a dvd release of series 2.
    Even Playback normally go in order

Series one might well be wiped - didn't think of that but I know so much from the 1960s was wiped (lots of Doctor Who, for example), which is a massive tragedy.

It would still be great if Playback released all the series they have but it sounds like they're horribly lazy so it looks like it we'll either have a very long wait or it might never happen at all. Very disappointing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to Wiki

The Liver Birds missing episodes

Both the pilot and 3 of the 4 episodes from series 1 are missing presumed wiped in their entirety

Pilot - The Liver Birds
    The Photographer
    Aristocracy and Crime
    Torremolinos, Costa del Sol or Southport?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same problem affects other shows , even classics like Morecambe & Wise so when the BBC released it the first volume was Series 2 + Whats Left of series 1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mllfap wrote: »
    The same problem affects other shows , even classics like Morecambe & Wise so when the BBC released it the first volume was Series 2 + Whats Left of series 1

I think BBCs DVD arm(2ENT?) has the rights now. The same ones that do the Dr Who DVDs I think.
  • VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was one of the most iconic British sitcoms of its era but only series two was given a DVD release and I believe even that is out of print, according to Amazon.

Why is this? Other Carla Lane sitcoms like Bread and Butterflies have been given DVD releases and I'm sure the Liver Birds sales would justify the effort of a release if done properly.

I know there are a lot of programmes that aren't on DVD but should be, and I can't imagine The Liver Birds being overly affected by something like music rights so what's the deal?
    It seems strange for such a landmark series to be left forgotten to collect dust for seemingly all time.

The answer is that The Liver Birds- whatever you think of it- would not be considered a potential big-seller and does not have the prestige value of Butterflies; Bread, like The Liver Birds, was a Playback release. You see, the BBC/BBC Worldwide is the home of clueless trendies, most of whom wouldn't understand the value of archive television if you put them on work experience for two years at Network DVD (the releaser of an enormous number of ITV archive programmes, many of them quite obscure, on DVD).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The answer is that The Liver Birds- whatever you think of it- would not be considered a potential big-seller and does not have the prestige value of Butterflies; Bread, like The Liver Birds, was a Playback release. You see, the BBC/BBC Worldwide is the home of clueless trendies, most of whom wouldn't understand the value of archive television if you put them on work experience for two years at Network DVD (the releaser of an enormous number of ITV archive programmes, many of them quite obscure, on DVD).

The BBC didn't release Butterflies either , and many other series were also licenced out including Some Mothers , Reggie Perrin ,To the Manor Born etc.

Although I'm not a fan I think The Liver Birds has a more commercial reputation than Butterflies , but its tarnished by being incomplete in the archives

As for Network - its a shame the quality of their authoring lets most of their releases down and is very poor compared to any BBC title.
    Some Network dvd's are almost Video CD quality .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I loved The Liver Birds, it brings back lots of memories, 70's sitcoms were the best ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BawWcO1Ub7k
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    http://www.lostshows.com/default.aspx?programme=e10c8c8c-9cd1-48a8-94a4-4b75ab4a91a8

Missing or incomplete episodes for programme THE LIVER BIRDS.

14.04.69 (comedy playhouse) (missing)

Series 1
    25.07.69 An Interesting Condition
    One or more sequences exist, but the complete programme is lost.
    01.08.69 Episode 2 (missing)
    08.08.69 Episode 3 (missing)
    15.08.69 Episode 4 (missing)

Out of an original total of 86 episodes, 4 episodes are missing and a further episode is incomplete.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Don't think there is any way of seeing the full episodes apart of snatches I've seen on UTube