Options

Opera lovers. Why so snotty?

2»

Comments

• Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for also confirming that I'm not just being paranoid or "projecting", adopter. ;):)

I'm sorry to hear this atitude is so bad even among professionals. I hope your father still finds joy in the music.

I hate all music snobbery, to be honest. While I may moan about stuff I don't like, I'd never try and deny someone else their right to like what they like. Even ridiculous novelty acts like Wagner from the X-Factor have their place if they make enough people happy.

TBH I far preferred X Factor's Wagner to Germany's Wagner.:D
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to actually go and see a production but I'd find it very hard not to sing along

Someone posted a clip of Hvorostovsky* singing The Toreador Song at Last Night of the Proms. You can hear the audience singing along in places, it makes for a wonderful atmosphere.

My dad was heavily into Jazz and I always felt it was a genre that works better live, where you can let go and dance along to the music. It isn't quite the same in your own living room.

*Crikey, if I mention the man once more today, I am going to sound like a stalker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always want to sing along when I go and see musicals, so I know that feeling all too well! :D
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for also confirming that I'm not just being paranoid or "projecting", adopter. ;):)

I'm sorry to hear this atitude is so bad even among professionals. I hope your father still finds joy in the music.

I hate all music snobbery, to be honest. While I may moan about stuff I don't like, I'd never try and deny someone else their right to like what they like. Even ridiculous novelty acts like Wagner from the X-Factor have their place if they make enough people happy.

He does - he mainly teaches now but he had a very long, successful career.

To be honest it's not just opera - you should hear the hardcore Led Zep fans when a new bootleg comes out!!
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    perhaps not nazism... or Wagner :D

Wagner was good for a laugh though:D
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    He does - he mainly teaches now but he had a very long, successful career.

To be honest it's not just opera - you should hear the hardcore Led Zep fans when a new bootleg comes out!!

Jazz fans .......... gotta know every detail of how/where/when each song was recorded, who produced it, the make of mikes used and their configuration, and the number of the original vinyl recording. And they think thats cool. :D
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try this for size for accessible opera - free screening in cities around the country on Weds.

http://www.roh.org.uk/whatson/bpbigscreens/index.aspx

Went to one last week in Trafalgar Square - yes there were a few 'luvvies', but most people there seemed to be 'regular' 20 and 30 somethings enjoying a free bit of culture.

Screens in:
    Trafalgar Square, London | Canada Square, Canary Wharf | High House Production Park, Purfleet | City Hall, Donegall Square, Belfast | Millennium Square, Bristol | The Market Place, Derby | Market Square, Dover | Festival Square, Edinburgh | Centre Square, Middlesbrough | Chapelfield Plain, Norwich | The Piazza, Plymouth | Castle Square, Swansea
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Jazz fans .......... gotta know every detail of how/where/when each song was recorded, who produced it, the make of mikes used and their configuration, and the number of the original vinyl recording. And they think thats cool. :D

Les Miserables fans can be scarily hardcore in a similar fashion.

Also, in the earlier days of the internet based fandom, daring to like the Eponine character in any way was like admitting to having murdered a kitten, just because she tended to have a few irritating younger fans. It was ridiculous.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood the elitist attitudes of opera lovers TBH. There's nothing very middle class or glamorous about most of the Verdi or Wagner works; death, murder, mythical, satanic, anti-Semitic etc
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Is one reason I wouldn't go either. I'd be very annoying - esp as I sing the men's parts as well as the women's.:o

oh god I do that as well :D
    Someone posted a clip of Hvorostovsky* singing The Toreador Song at Last Night of the Proms. You can hear the audience singing along in places, it makes for a wonderful atmosphere.

My dad was heavily into Jazz and I always felt it was a genre that works better live, where you can let go and dance along to the music. It isn't quite the same in your own living room.

*Crikey, if I mention the man once more today, I am going to sound like a stalker.

I don't think they would be too happy if i joined in during 'figaro'