Nile Cruise - anyone been on one?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutleykaz wrote: »
    Looks ok to me. I don't know whether the trip to Abu Simbel is included - ours wasn't. You can buy all you need everywhere, even in rural areas. We got through gallons of bottled water (due to the heat) but it's cheap enough to stock up.

It says optional as was ours. We went by bus though, flying would be quite expensive.

As for spending money we took £1000 but we were there for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I might book through Thomson, it includes all meals - no drinks - and all excursions (except for Abu Simbel, that's an extra £199). There's not one bad review on Trip Advisor.:eek:

I've just looked at it again and you can upgrade to all-inclusive for £91pp - is that worth doing, would you say?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I might book through Thomson, it includes all meals - no drinks - and all excursions (except for Abu Simbel, that's an extra £199). There's not one bad review on Trip Advisor.:eek:

I've just looked at it again and you can upgrade to all-inclusive for £91pp - is that worth doing, would you say?

What extras are you getting for £91.

Have you a link to that one?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member

You can run up a hefty bar bill even if you're not a big tippler as you'll pay quite a bit for soft drinks. I think it's probably worth paying the extra.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    What extras are you getting for £91.

Have you a link to that one?
    http://www.thomson.co.uk

It's the 4T Presidential Nile Cruise, 3rd one down on the list. I can't do the direct link, it won't let me.

As far as I can see, full board is meals and excursions, all inclusive is meals, drinks and excursions.
    Included in your Nile Cruise holiday are visits to:
    The Valley of the Kings, Temple of Queen Hatchepsut, Colossi of Memnon, Karnak and Luxor Temples, Nubian Museum, Aswan High Dam and Philae Temple, Denderah Temple.
    Full board meals
    Coffee, tea, water and soft drinks
    Local beer, local wine and local spirits - 10.00 - 23.00
    Activities as listed
    Entertainment as listed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.thomson.co.uk

It's the 4T Presidential Nile Cruise, 3rd one down on the list. I can't do the direct link, it won't let me.

As far as I can see, full board is meals and excursions, all inclusive is meals, drinks and excursions.

This one, looks OK. Abu Simbel is extra though. Reviews seem quite good.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/africa/egypt/egypt-nile/luxor/hotels/4t-presidential-nile-cruise.html
  • Options
    joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went early November, so weather similar to October.

The boats are 5* but the 5* rating is not the same as you might expect.

The rooms were air conditioned which was great.

The pool on deck was small.

The food was ok, but we both had diarrhoea and other half was sick. Many of the other guests were also sick. The guide said it wasn't the food, but the change in temperature, but I have my doubts about that.

You do get up early for the tours, but not that early later in the year. If you're mad keen on Egyptian history and temples you'll enjoy it. I was completely templed out by the second day as they all looked the same to me.

The highlight for me was a ride on a camel.

Egypt is very poor and children come up to you begging. I was upset by this.

They keep horses for horse drawn carriage rides where the boats stop. The horses are poorly kept and very thin. They are in the sweltering sun. I cried at the sight of them.

I wouldn't ever go again. Looks like most on here enjoyed themselves, but at least I've given you another point of view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joules22 wrote: »
    We went early November, so weather similar to October.

The boats are 5* but the 5* rating is not the same as you might expect.

The rooms were air conditioned which was great.

The pool on deck was small.

The food was ok, but we both had diarrhoea and other half was sick. Many of the other guests were also sick. The guide said it wasn't the food, but the change in temperature, but I have my doubts about that.

You do get up early for the tours, but not that early later in the year. If you're mad keen on Egyptian history and temples you'll enjoy it. I was completely templed out by the second day as they all looked the same to me.

The highlight for me was a ride on a camel.

Egypt is very poor and children come up to you begging. I was upset by this.

They keep horses for horse drawn carriage rides where the boats stop. The horses are poorly kept and very thin. They are in the sweltering sun. I cried at the sight of them.

I wouldn't ever go again. Looks like most on here enjoyed themselves, but at least I've given you another point of view.

It is quite distressing, they do have a Brooke clinic in Luxor, to help. I just refused to use the ones with poorly kept horses.
  • Options
    joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is quite distressing, they do have a Brooke clinic in Luxor, to help. I just refused to use the ones with poorly kept horses.

I refused to go on that trip and stayed on the boat. On the plane coming home lots of people were talking about the dreadful state of the horses. :cry:
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On our cruise we had the option to stay on for the Abu Simbel trip or three nights in Cairo, all prebooked before leaving UK.

We went to Cairo so we saw the Pyramids, Egyptian Museum, Saqqara, Memphis and others. This is highly recommended.

In Cairo, the hotel wouldnt except English money for the bar bill so had to quickly change Egyptian money up. Also went to a mosque in Cairo with the tour guide and they made those without sleeves, such as vest tops, cover their shoulders.
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We refused to go on the carriage ride too. We didn't see any children begging, but the poverty was clear enough. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    We refused to go on the carriage ride too. We didn't see any children begging, but the poverty was clear enough. :(

We went on a carriage trip in Luxor, the horse Rambo, was in great condition. Abdul the driver took us to his house for tea, not an experience I would repeat:D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went on a carriage trip in Luxor, the horse, Rambo, was in great condition. Abdul the driver took us to his house for tea, not an experience I would repeat:D.
    Your tour guide (Ramano I think you said his name was) still works for Thomson:) Why wouldn't you repeat going for tea with Abdul?

I've just booked our holiday:eek: I went for the Thomson one with the all-inclusive option and excursions included. I hope it's okay, my sister has great faith in me booking this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your tour guide (Ramano I think you said his name was) still works for Thomson:) Why wouldn't you repeat going for tea with Abdul?

I've just booked our holiday:eek: I went for the Thomson one with the all-inclusive option and excursions included. I hope it's okay, my sister has great faith in me booking this.

The house had the rather smelly stable on the ground floor and the tea was nothing like ours served in chipped cups:D

I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.
  • Options
    robbrarobbra Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leaving tomorrow for 6 day cruise, 2 days in luxor and three in Cairo with Kuoni. £1200 with all excursions except Abu Simbel (£150 extra). May make a comment on return
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robbra wrote: »
    Leaving tomorrow for 6 day cruise, 2 days in luxor and three in Cairo with Kuoni. £1200 with all excursions except Abu Simbel (£150 extra). May make a comment on return
    Oh please do!:) I hope you have a wonderful holiday - I would love to hear all about it when you get back.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been a great read , I learned a lot .! I might even put it on my long list of places I would like to see .
    Enjoy Alfie and let is knwo how it goes . I am currently viewing my list to see where I could go .

Oh and even if I want going anywhere this year I would wish you Bon Voyage ...............;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you kindly Abba, I shall be back to recount my adventures later on this year - although possibly not in advice because that really will be seen as 'ner, ner,ner I can afford a holiday and you can't :p' to certain people.:D