Windows Phone 8

wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
Forum Member
✭✭
Microsoft has lifted the lid on their new Windows Phone 8 OS due in the Autumn with a variety of new features both in hardware and software. Nokia, Huawei, Samsung, and HTC confirmed as hardware partners for new OS.

1. All new Start Screen - you can now customise tiles in size (small, medium, and large) which reflect changes in Live Tiles - Nokia Maps can still be viewed in medium/large size in the background. The screen estate will be larger due to the removal of the right side bar.

2. Uses the 'Windows Core' heavily linking with Windows 8 in terms of app infrastructure and NFC sharing.

3. Will support multi-core processors, device encryption, removable storage with microSD cards and three new screen resolutions.

4. Built in NFC in a new 'Wallet Hub' storing credit card information for in-app purchasing, member cards and deals.

5. Skype and VoIP integration - collect Skype calls like you would when receiving a phone call.

7. Nokia Maps will power the map experience with turn-by-turn navigation and offline support.

8. Internet Explorer 10 with added security which will share the same ecosystem and IE10 on Windows 8.

9. Upgrades to Nokia Drive/Maps and Camera - self-timer, action shot for burst mode, panorama, and group-shot.

With these upgrades will Microsoft be able to gain a foothold in the mobile space? The relationship between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 is crucial but Microsoft seem to be in full confidence coming off the back of the Surface announcement.

Note: Current Windows Phone users will not upgrade to Windows 8 due to hardware specifics. They will upgrade to Windows 7.8 which will include the new Start screen and other features due to be shown in the future.

Comments

• mrvgargmrvgarg Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes will be upgrading my HTC Titan to the new Nokia WP8 when my contract expires next year.

Will also be getting the MS Surface.

:)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I can get an update with compatible features from WP8 for my Lumia 800 I am happy. And if Surface Pro can last 5-6 hours between charges nothing will stop me from getting one :D
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Bit unhappy with only getting WP 7.8 rather than the full 8 on my Lumia 800...it's the fact the some apps won't be supported that I am not happy about...
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Bit unhappy with only getting WP 7.8 rather than the full 8 on my Lumia 800...it's the fact the some apps won't be supported that I am not happy about...

It's highly likely the apps will be alright, it's only the ones that will use the dual/quad core for graphics which the legacy models can't run. it's more likely that the new games wont be compatible or will run slowly (much like the A5 Apple chip when that first got released) and obviously there will be no NFC support as MSFT is integrating that inside the SIM with Orange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just read it's back to C++ coding, hopefully with Windows APIs as it used to be. .net is lovely, but if you want speed you have to go native. Also WP8 supports/was tested with 64 cores. I am waiting for that handset, Galaxy S3, take that :D
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

Thats why I gave up on Windows Mobile after getting shafted by them year after year then they really started taking the piss by discontinuing software that was working fine on my phone till they stopped it. Yes thats right it no longer worked on my phone due to it no longer being supported! Now that is mean :mad:

They only company that dose decent support for their phones is Apple and im not a fan!

Microsoft will do 18 months support for devices.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/windows-phone-8-ota-updates-18-month-support-program-early-access/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows Phone 8 will support SD Cards and will do proper multitasking like ye olde Windows Mobile. Wow they are so back to the future :D
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    This could potentially lead to Pc's, tablets and smart-phones running the same OS - which would be a huge leap forward....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    So bing maps sucks so awful they now are going to use Nokia maps? lol, just get over yourself MS and apply Google maps.
    Forum Member
    So bing maps sucks so awful they now are going to use Nokia maps? lol, just get over yourself MS and apply Google maps.

No, they use both Bing is on any device and Nokia is used with Nokia devices – both are find and Nokia Drive is very useful.
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    This could potentially lead to Pc's, tablets and smart-phones running the same OS - which would be a huge leap forward....

All part of Microsoft’s plan I think – eventually as phones get more powerful I expect all software/apps to work on an phone/tablet/netbook/laptop/desktop – don’t know how far away that is yet though but I can see that coming.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Verge have an exclusive that states HTC will launch 3 Windows Phones at launch and Q4 - akin to the Android One Series.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/6/21/3105474/htc-windows-phone-8-rio-accord-zenith

The Zenith looks like a direct One X with a quad core Snapdragon S4 and Super LCD 2 display.

This shows HTC is committed to the platform outside Nokia and im sure Microsoft are thrilled, finally some decent hardware for the OS.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I have just read it's back to C++ coding, hopefully with Windows APIs as it used to be.
    It's the new WinRT APIs, not the old Win32 ones. However, it seems you'll be able to write an app in C++, compile it twice for ARM and x86, and have it run on phones, tablets, notebooks, laptops and desktops. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. I'm optimistic.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I have just read it's back to C++ coding, hopefully with Windows APIs as it used to be. .net is lovely, but if you want speed you have to go native. Also WP8 supports/was tested with 64 cores. I am waiting for that handset, Galaxy S3, take that :D

I am actually going to recommend Windows Phone 8 devices for the executives here at work when it comes to renewal time especially as we will be getting Win8 Dells and probably Surface tabs. Staff here haven't taken to Android very well. Mind you most need to be shown how to wipe their noses so if they get the hang of Metro, it makes my job easier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    I am actually going to recommend Windows Phone 8 devices for the executives here at work when it comes to renewal time especially as we will be getting Win8 Dells and probably Surface tabs. Staff here haven't taken to Android very well. Mind you most need to be shown how to wipe their noses so if they get the hang of Metro, it makes my job easier.

I am still a bit pissed off about MS backing off from WP7, but it would lead nowhere if they kept CE kernel given where the mobile market is now. With switching to NT/8 kernel they still have a chance. I'll wait till my contract is over in 1 year and see where WP8 is at that time. I really don't like Android or iPhone for that matter so chances are I'll stay in the MS fold.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I must say I really like the look of Win phone 8 and might consider it myself as well when I upgrade next summer too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nokia will unveil its Windows Phone 8 mobiles at Nokia World 2012 which kicks off on the 5th September.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/06/report-wp8-phones-at-nokia-world/

http://www.nokia.com/global/about-nokia/nokiaworld/
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still a bit pissed off about MS backing off from WP7, but it would lead nowhere if they kept CE kernel given where the mobile market is now. With switching to NT/8 kernel they still have a chance. I'll wait till my contract is over in 1 year and see where WP8 is at that time. I really don't like Android or iPhone for that matter so chances are I'll stay in the MS fold.

You are right, the kernel change makes the difference. The NT kernel will make WP8 into a proper smart phone OS - WP7 just feels like a feature phone to me, all be it a fast and slick feature phone. The question is though,will they sell any?
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    You are right, the kernel change makes the difference. The NT kernel will make WP8 into a proper smart phone OS - WP7 just feels like a feature phone to me, all be it a fast and slick feature phone. The question is though,will they sell any?

As well as Nokia at least Samsung and HTC are going to be making phones for it so I think they have a good chance...and there seem to be a lot of people switching from iOS to Android so this will give them another choice.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there will be decent models out by the time i switch from iOS. ATM i'm going for an S3.
  • stillgotaboxstillgotabox Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a HTC HD7 and I would love to upgrade to a windows phone 8 smartphone with a great camera. Apparently "Pureview" developed by Nokia is a great camera and the Lumia 920 has leaked and it seems that it will have pureview. This may just be my next phone.

www.theverge.com/2012/8/31/3281985/nokia-lumia-920-specs-pictures-leak

A prototype of the Lumia 820 has also leaked
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/nokia-820-prototype-breaks-cover-in-photos-confirms-little-else/

We should find out complete details next week.

At present the only windows phone 8 device that has officialy been announced is the Samsung ATIV S
    http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/ativ_s.html

Also a Now TV App (if it goes ahead I guess it'll be for Windows Phone 8) is "under consideration". You can show your support by voting/"like"/"kudos" and comment at

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/My-Ideas/Now-TV-App-for-Windows-Phone-Smartphones/idi-p/267
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We also expect MS to announce the remaining features at the Nokia event on Sept 5th as well as the new Lumias.

The announcement they did in June was targeted at developers so skipped out on many of the new features coming that developers did not need to know about then.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 7.5/8 is a great mobile operating system, but it doesn't offer deep enough customization and the selection of Apps is still pretty dire. The mobiles are excellently built, it's just a shame the software isn't yet as good as it could be.
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    Windows 7.5/8 is a great mobile operating system, but it doesn't offer deep enough customization and the selection of Apps is still pretty dire. The mobiles are excellently built, it's just a shame the software isn't yet as good as it could be.

A lot of it comes down to what you want from Apps - I've had a Windows 7 phone and could do everything I wanted with it.

Are there particular apps you want that you can't get?