Options

UK drama flops?

Comments

• Options
    ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that. Didn't Cliff Richard sing the theme tune?

Yep "More To Life"...made #23 in the singles chart. I noticed Angrahad Rees was in this.
  • Options
    k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember a Rik Mayall fronted family drama called 'All About George' which only got one series.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    The Devil's ****

Don't speak about Cherie Blair like that.:p

Bombshell was deemed a flop so much so it has never been transmitted.
  • Options
    aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reach for the Moon was a series set on the Isle of Wight around 2000. They didn't write any decent storylines for it unfortunately.
  • Options
    AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Hunted only flopped here I think it did really well for the American Co-producer and is comming for for another series.

I read reports that it was one of their lowest rated programmes ever for the US channel, if not the lowest rated. I'm betting that they won't be bringing it back either. They released that statement when it still had three episodes to run. Their subscribers were paying to watch it, so it wouldn't have went down too well with the few who were following it if they announced at that point that it wouldn't be coming back. IMO, that was just damage limitation while it was still running, an attempt at retaining what little viewers it did have and diverting the flak it was getting over here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bombshell was deemed a flop so much so it has never been transmitted.

And the producer on that was the same man who's now the head of drama at the BBC.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,948
    Forum Member
    More a drama soap but ITV's Night and Day.

It still has a cult following.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Abewest wrote: »
    I read reports that it was one of their lowest rated programmes ever for the US channel, if not the lowest rated. I'm betting that they won't be bringing it back either. They released that statement when it still had three episodes to run. Their subscribers were paying to watch it, so it wouldn't have went down too well with the few who were following it if they announced at that point that it wouldn't be coming back. IMO, that was just damage limitation while it was still running, an attempt at retaining what little viewers it did have and diverting the flak it was getting over here.

The US channel just announced in recent weeks that it is coming back as a spin-off of Hunted and will be called Sam Hunter. Melissa George's character will be in the US and on the run from her former employer. So that puts an end to your theory about "damage limitation." It is true that the live transmission ratings were really low, but the US channel, Cinemax, is a little-watched subscription channel, and apparently Hunted did well with their subscribers as an "video on demand" offering. That's why they are keeping the show going, if in an altered form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    The US channel just announced in recent weeks that it is coming back as a spin-off of Hunted and will be called Sam Hunter. Melissa George's character will be in the US and on the run from her former employer. So that puts an end to your theory about "damage limitation." It is true that the live transmission ratings were really low, but the US channel, Cinemax, is a little-watched subscription channel, and apparently Hunted did well with their subscribers as an "video on demand" offering. That's why they are keeping the show going, if in an altered form.

You got a link for that?

Edit: It's okay. I found it. I stand corrected. A four-parter produced by Kudos and the writer's company, as opposed to the several series run the original creators were predicting when it first hit our screens.

It was as rubbish as rubbish gets. Its found its level.
  • Options
    nigel12nigel12 Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not massively bad shows or flops but definitely ended before they should have-

Married, Single, Other (the cold feet rip-off)
    Linda Green
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Demons

An awful, awful Buffy clone. Everything about it was terrible. And actor Philip Glenister was particularly bad in it. It always got a big laugh around here whenever he kept losing his character's american accent. And it happend several times in EVERY episode. I don't think he cared. Or maybe the director didn't care. lol. :D
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Demons

An awful, awful Buffy clone. Everything about it was terrible. And actor Philip Glenister was particularly bad in it. It always got a big laugh around here whenever he kept losing his character's american accent. And it happend several times in EVERY episode. I don't think he cared. Or maybe the director didn't care. lol. :D

Very true.

Philip Glenister is usually a great actor, but he was next to useless as an American in this series.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC's Eldorado was judged to be a flop but was actually getting better ratings when it was taken off than EE is now:eek:
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Demons

gonna have to get the dvd of that show off the shelf (it was bought from poundland a few months after it was first released :D )
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »
    The Devil's ****

There's a follow-up coming later this year

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/sep/24/channel-4-devils-****-sequel
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outcasts had the potential to be amazing! Sadly the likes of it probably won't be attempted again...
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,651
    Forum Member
    Archiex wrote: »
    I remember a drama about an helicopter ambulance crew. Think it was 'call red'. Loved the show but after the first series it disappeared without a trace, never to be shown again. Shame as I really loved it.

also remember a late evening show set in an all girls school in the 50s/60s and they used to meet up in a dinner with their boyfriends. That's all I remember about that but at the time I thought it was good, ended on a cliff hanger which at the moment escapes me, and never returned. Can never remember the name of that show but keep thinking it was called 'blue suade shoes' but can't find anything on it and it doesn't sound right.

The 50s/60s one was "Head Over Heels" and was shown in about 1993. It was one of Carlton's first dramas after they won the ITV London franchise from Thames. I really enjoyed it at the time, but I was 14 so I'm not sure if I would get the same enjoyment from it now. Don't think it got enough viewers for a second series sadly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Demons.

One of the worst programmes I've ever seen and rightfully sank without a trace after one God-awful, unwatcable series. The usually brilliant Philip Glenister must be embarrassed beyond belief by it.

Edit - I see Demons has been mentioned. Not surprised. It really was totally insulting cack!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Hope Springs?
    The Alex Kingston show on bbc few years back
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Demons

It was hilariously bad, I was a tad disappointed it got cancelled just because I found it so funny - of particular note was the stick on nose during the first episode worn by MacKenzie Crook, so bad it rivialled Philip Glenister's ridiculous accent.

It became 'must see' for me - and not in a good way :o
  • Options
    ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Family which was on ITV about ten years ago. Starred Jamie Foreman and Sophie Lhabib (Helen from Bad Girls). Was about some London gangster family. Saw two episodes of it....my it was bad. Faaaaaahmillleey was said every other line and the last I heard it was relegated to a late night slot. I am confident Derek Branning was modelled on Jamie's character in this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember an ITV programme called "Winners and Losers" about 2 men who lived in the same village. One was a stockbroker and the other a Merchant Banker (this was tail end of the 1980s) and they always ended up on the opposite end of business deals and also village issues.

The Merchant banker character was called Beau Beauford.

Was perfect for its time but when i think back, I cringe at some of the crap that was shown when I was young which I thought was good at the time.

A similar show was called "Capital City" about a group of delaers in a city bank (also in the 1980s) but was more about their personal lives. This was truly awful and even I (who loved all things about "The City" when I was younger) gave up on this, but I recall that my Mum always watched it.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    thedrewser wrote: »
    Does anyone remember an ITV programme called "Winners and Losers" about 2 men who lived in the same village. One was a stockbroker and the other a Merchant Banker (this was tail end of the 1980s) and they always ended up on the opposite end of business deals and also village issues.

The Merchant banker character was called Beau Beauford.

Was perfect for its time but when i think back, I cringe at some of the crap that was shown when I was young which I thought was good at the time.

A similar show was called "Capital City" about a group of delaers in a city bank (also in the 1980s) but was more about their personal lives. This was truly awful and even I (who loved all things about "The City" when I was younger) gave up on this, but I recall that my Mum always watched it.

I loved that - however the huge crush I had on Dorian Healy at the time probably had some bearing on it :o

Anyone remember Inside Out - drama about 2 women who sent up a job agency to ex convicts - seem to remember it ended on a cliff hanger (Christopher Dean's character about to skip the country with his kids seems to ring a bell) - only one series, loved it, but only one series as my family seemed to be the only ones who watched it :(
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can Julian Fellowes' 'Titanic' be counted? It shed viewers like the ship lost passengers - and with good reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The recent retelling of the king Arthur legend called Camelot". It was so awful I didn't even bother watching the last episode even having sat through the rest of the series.