When did Waterloo Road start to go down hill?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hear these words all the time now a days saying the show is really bad and the show is not the same as it used to be but when did it start to become like this , when were the proper glory days of the show and can it ever be a force again?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a fan, but I think when they did the whole move the school thing it went down hill.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moving to Scotland did it for me.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it has?
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 5, when they merged two schools.
  • darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waterloo Road has always been good imo the move opened up the chance for more storylines and it has done just that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally i think it began to go downhill in the second half of Series 4.

The last episode that really hooked me in was when Earl murdered Maxine.

There have been the occasional really good episodes since, such as Sambuca's death. But they are few and far between.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, it was the series in which Amanda Burton's character first appeared. The quality then took a massive nosedive with the move to Scotland and I've only watched the odd episode since then.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't recall it ever went up hill
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    It certainly hasn't been the same since the move to Scotland. I dont look forward to it like I used to.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Jill Halfpenny left.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enudzio wrote: »
    When did it start going downhill ?

Just after the opening segment of the first ever epeisode .
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Just after the opening segment of the first ever epeisode .

Yes! I started to watch at the beginning but didn't care for it at all.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it went downhill a few seconds after the opening credits of episode one.But that's just my opinion of course!
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why everyone hating Scotland for? The creators were Scottish & I think they should of started it in Scotland from series one
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »

Agreed. My favourite series is the first series - it had strong writing, strong storylines and well developed characters. The second series was good too, but once the third series got under way and the show went to 20 episodes the show's quality started to become really inconsistent (there were the odd phases of great quality, but then there were some really bad episodes too).
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was never fantastic television and it's always been a bit BBC3-esque but the last few series have just been unrealistic trash and not the entertaining kind
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    It went down hill well before the move to scotland.
    I think it was maybe series 3 but they started to each weeks episode had to have a theme. Like the kid you had never seen before featured in the whole episode and had an issue they had to deal with.
  • winter99winter99 Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say when Michael arrived.
  • enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    it has?

well pretty about 50% of the comments I see about Waterloo Road say something among those lines.
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer is series 1 episode 1.

It's always been total garbage. Mouthy teenagers talking to teachers as if they think they're their equals.
    It's one of those programmes that just winds you up as soon as you start watching it.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No disrespect to Scotland but I stopped watching after the move, its just wasn't the same and the move was unbelievable to my mind
  • tvhonourtvhonour Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    The answer is series 1 episode 1.

It's always been total garbage. Mouthy teenagers talking to teachers as if they think they're their equals.
    It's one of those programmes that just winds you up as soon as you start watching it.

So your telling me that 8 series on and 160 episodes later your still watching it? Even though you say it winds you up as soon as you start watching it??

If yes your are everything that is wrong with the average DS poster these days. Slating a show you hate but still watch, or a show you don't watch but love to hate = moronic. Fact :rolleyes:
  • TomTom Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I think the show lost 'something' when Eva Pope (Rachel), Denise Welsh (Steph), Angela Griffin (Kim) all left en masse at the end of series five. The 'worry' surrounding this was obviously demonstrated when they got Chelsee Healy (Janeece) back for series six - and a similar tactic was employed in getting Chris Geere (Matt) back when Michael Byrne took over as Headteacher. However each time, the show loses a little bit more of it's 'oomph'.

I now only dip in and out of the show - whilst I think the move to Scotland wasn't a total disaster, the departures of Grantly and Tom I think mean the 'end is nigh' - something Shed productions all seem to have in common - key characters departing always means the decline in quality and ultimately the end of their shows (Footballers Wives - when Tanya left, Bad Girls - once Jim Fenner had left) - for some reason the characters they create afterwards always lack the originality and charisma of the originals.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Why everyone hating Scotland for? The creators were Scottish & I think they should of started it in Scotland from series one

I hope no-one is hating Scotland; it's maybe more that moving the series there when it had been previously set somewhere else (Rochdale, wasn't it?) felt so unreal. It was especially unreal because Scotland has an entirely different education system and the type of school this was supposed to be after Lorraine's takeover couldn't exist in Scotland.

I thought it was equally absurd to move Grange Hill to Liverpool after 25 years of it being in London, and the series never recovered from it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »

Agreed, but it was never far for the show to fall, it was never particularly good.