Options

Why aren't British ISIS supporters arrested?

Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought supporting terrorist groups was a crime?

Seems the BBC don't mind having a light-hearted banter with these guys.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2455xy_bbc-interviews-isis-supporter_news

Comments

• Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Good question, OP.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought supporting terrorist groups was a crime?

Seems the BBC don't mind having a light-hearted banter with these guys.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2455xy_bbc-interviews-isis-supporter_news

It is not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is not.

Are you saying people can go around openly supporting groups like Hezbollah, the IRA, Boko Haram etc.. without the Law batting an eyelid?
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I can't watch the video atm but I wouldn't have thought we could make any opinion illegal. That said, if they financially support them or incite illegal acts etc then they would be breaking the law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you saying people can go around openly supporting groups like Hezbollah, the IRA, Boko Haram etc.. without the Law batting an eyelid?

Are YOU saying that anyone who expresses any small support for extremist organisations should be prosecuted? We do not prosecute thoughts and words unless they form an explicit threat.
  • Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like you would get more grief if you supported the BNP than ISIS.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Define 'supporting'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Define 'supporting'.

Watch the vid in the OP from 3:48 onwards.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    It seems like you would get more grief if you supported the BNP than ISIS.

Both are equally unpalatable. It is only by sheer luck that world events have shaped such that it is not the BNP on these shores who have 20000 nutters running around with AK 47's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watch the vid in the OP from 3:48 onwards.

I don't get it - what has he said (much less done) that's arrestable?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mass detention invariably blows back on those doing the detaining

It is also easier to keep watch on existing loudmouths than detaining them and having to find out who is replacing them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    I don't get it - what has he said (much less done) that's arrestable?

He's saying he'd go leave the UK to fight for ISIS if it wasn't for Britain's tight security.

Surely it can't get any more clearer than that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

It is also easier to keep watch on existing loudmouths than detaining them and having to find out who is replacing them

Especially when the detainees are detained together. The UK learned that after 1916.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's saying he'd go leave the UK to fight for ISIS if it wasn't for Britain's tight security.

And what laws has that broken?
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member

And until he leaves and goes to fight for ISIS, he technically has done nothing wrong. Immoral yes, illegal no
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd say let him go and don't let him come back
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    People have to realise this isnt Minority Report and that no one can be arrested for "evil thoughts". Otherwise I suspect many of us would be in deep trouble after thinking of killing our boss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what laws has that broken?
    And until he leaves and goes to fight for ISIS, he technically has done nothing wrong. Immoral yes, illegal no

ISIS is listed on the UK terror list. The following link states:
    Proscription makes it a criminal offence to:

belong to or invite support for a proscribed organisation;

arrange a meeting in support of a proscribed organisation; and.

wear clothing or carry articles in
    public which arouse reasonable
    suspicion that an individual is a member or supporter of the proscribed
    organisation

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/324603/20140627-List_of_Proscribed_organisations_WEBSITE_final.pdf

In reference to the bit in bold; the guy in the vid is saying he'd go fight for ISIS if he had the chance. He's clearly supporting such an organisation. Why isn't he arrested?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have to realise this isnt Minority Report and that no one can be arrested for "evil thoughts". Otherwise I suspect many of us would be in deep trouble after thinking of killing our boss.

I would certainly be in trouble for the many thoughts I have had that were anti government.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both are equally unpalatable. It is only by sheer luck that world events have shaped such that it is not the BNP on these shores who have 20000 nutters running around with AK 47's.

World events being that it hasn't been in the US and Israel's interest to arm and fund the BNP to destabilise the UK and Europe in general.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

This. And once they've opened their big mouth, it's an invitation to surveillance, and having their PC hacked, etc, by the security services. Then, they may lead us to people who actually do, rather than just sound all up for it.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Deleted. See post below.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    ISIS is listed on the UK terror list. The following link states:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/324603/20140627-List_of_Proscribed_organisations_WEBSITE_final.pdf

In reference to the bit in bold; the guy in the vid is saying he'd go fight for ISIS if he had the chance. He's clearly supporting such an organisation. Why isn't he arrested?

Oh, nice find. In that case, yes, he has most certainly already broken a pre-existing law, so why hasn't he been arrested? The government needs to start getting real with these creatures before other people do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New world. New laws. It should indeed be illegal to praise or offer support for Islamic terrorist groups.

Nah, I'd rather they felt comfortable enough to espouse such views in the open and expose themselves.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes you can. You can act on a big mouth. Being a chubby ignorant attention seeking loudmouth isn't illegal.