Walkers Crisps..I may be wrong but....

JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought a pack of delicious Ready Salted crisps from Sainsbury's for lunch today. I noticed that the bag seemed longer. But I also noticed it contained 32.5g, not the usual 34.5g.
Am I right?

Comments

• StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure, but I would not be at all surprised if you were right.

Manufacturers of all types of product have been doing this sort of thing in recent years i.e. sneakily reducing the content rather than obviously increasing the price, and then hoping we don't notice!
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simply look at the packet for clarification of the content weight ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Yes you probably are right - this is what food manufacturers are doing instead of hiking up the prices - they are making quantities and weights less. This is something I have been banging on and on about lately!

Think about your shopping - think about the sizes of packs of chicken fillets, minced beef - you are getting less for your money now :(
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    It happens a lot. Mars bars have been so reduced and altered they bear no relation to the original bar.
    It's chewier, less caramel + it's gone down from 65g to 62.5g... and latterly to 58g. Fact :/
  • HazzaGrazzaHazzaGrazza Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are hardly any crisps in a bag anyway, soon there will only be 3 or 4.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are hardly any crisps in a bag anyway, soon there will only be 3 or 4.

Far better to buy a 150g bag then.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you probably are right - this is what food manufacturers are doing instead of hiking up the prices - they are making quantities and weights less. This is something I have been banging on and on about lately!

(

Except in some cases they're sneakily doing both - reducing size and increasing price.
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure, but I would not be at all surprised if you were right.

Manufacturers of all types of product have been doing this sort of thing in recent years i.e. sneakily reducing the content rather than obviously increasing the price, and then hoping we don't notice!

To be fair, if they'd increased the price people would have moaned like anything so I can understand why they do it.
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, if they'd increased the price people would have moaned like anything so I can understand why they do it.

But reducing the contents and charging the same is still a price increase, isn't it? It's just not as honest.

It's not just food either, for example my washing up liquid of choice had the bottle "redesigned", and guess what? It now holds 450 ml instead of the 500 ml that it held before.:rolleyes:
  • TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    I think Walkers reduced the weight a few years ago. It seemed that way to me anyway.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoLuc wrote: »
    I bought a pack of delicious Ready Salted crisps from Sainsbury's for lunch today. I noticed that the bag seemed longer. But I also noticed it contained 32.5g, not the usual 34.5g.
    Am I right?

You could be right, lots of food packs are getting less in them and the prices are going up.

As for calling Walkers crisps delicious , I think i will disagree with you there. i had a packet of salt and vinegar at work today for break and they was horrid, no taste so greasy.
    Forum Member
    But reducing the contents and charging the same is still a price increase, isn't it? It's just not as honest.

It's not just food either, for example my washing up liquid of choice had the bottle "redesigned", and guess what? It now holds 450 ml instead of the 500 ml that it held before.:rolleyes:

Yes it is, but they don't advertise price increases and they don't advertise contents being reduced so I don't see what's so underhand about it.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I nearly bought some Dowe Egberts coffee when it was last on offer, until I noticed their 200g jars have shrunk to 190g. I expect all brands to follow suit :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    32.5g is the new multipack 'extra fill' size. The single packs should still be 34.5g so i don't know what Sainsburys were playing at.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Who cares??

Nothing any of us can do about it so stop griping and eat summit else!! :yawn:
  • Russ_WWFCRuss_WWFC Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do it all in the name of "health" when really its all about profit
    Forum Member
    Russ_WWFC wrote: »
    They do it all in the name of "health" when really its all about profit

Id be surprised if Walkers have ever claimed they have reduced pack sizes for health reasons.
  • BLADESMAN1889BLADESMAN1889 Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bowland37 wrote: »
    32.5g is the new multipack 'extra fill' size. The single packs should still be 34.5g so i don't know what Sainsburys were playing at.

This may be true about multipack (I don't know as I never buy them)
    but the 'OP' is correct the single packs have shrunk to 32.5g - I purchased some today from the Asda shop end of the supermarket.

Please bear in mind that it is only the very latest (& freshest) batch that have the new size so depending on how fast the shop where you bought them from sells them you may not have had them yet.

This also plays a big factor in whether you deem the crisps as 'delicious' or not - the longer a shop takes to sell them the less fresh or 'delicious' they taste ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the price shrunk as well?

No real need to answer that one.. :rolleyes:
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,766
    Forum Member
    They don't taste as nice as they used to either.
    Forum Member
    bowland37 wrote: »
    Has the price shrunk as well?

No real need to answer that one.. :rolleyes:

No, but it would have gone up if they didn't reduce the pack size so it's swings and roundabouts.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    This may be true about multipack (I don't know as I never buy them)
    but the 'OP' is correct the single packs have shrunk to 32.5g - I purchased some today from the Asda shop end of the supermarket.

Please bear in mind that it is only the very latest (& freshest) batch that have the new size so depending on how fast the shop where you bought them from sells them you may not have had them yet.

This also plays a big factor in whether you deem the crisps as 'delicious' or not - the longer a shop takes to sell them the less fresh or 'delicious' they taste ;)
    Walkers are foil wrapped so it shouldn't make a difference.
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angel10578 wrote: »
    Who cares??

Nothing any of us can do about it so stop griping and eat summit else!! :yawn:

You obviously care enough to comment.

Bore off.
  • BLADESMAN1889BLADESMAN1889 Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Walkers are foil wrapped so it shouldn't make a difference.

Agreed,

but it does - I can tell without looking if the crisps are from the most recent/newest batch just by taste.

Unless I'm buying them from a place that has a fast turnover (like my regular supermarket or local co-op/spar) I always check the 'best before' date to make sure they are from the most recent stock (Walkers release them in batches - the current/most recent is 09/06/12) as it is surprising what a noticeable difference it makes.

If the foil packs DID completely seal in the freshness then I guess that Walkers wouldn't put such a short window on the 'Best Before' date.