20 Moments that rocked Britain Ch5

2»

Comments

• Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,146
    Forum Member
    I rememeber where I was when I learned of Diana's death. The same place as where I found out about 9/11, Piper Alpha, Paddington Rail Crash, 7/7, etc, etc.

I was at home, WATCHING THE BLOODY NEWS!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £5 that some Big Brother shite would be included

Yeah, probably that Jade Goody racism one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Yes, Heysel is conspiciously airbrushed from history, at least on DS anyway.

Strange, I wonder why ?

Tragic loss of life.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think what was meant was that many people remember where they were when they heard to news of Diana's death. I certainly do.

Well the majority of people would have been getting up so they would remember that :D
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Well the majority of people would have been getting up so they would remember that :D

Yes I hadn't seen the news first thing and gone straight out early to the Supermarket where they had a circular newstand. The papers facing me said "Diana Injured in car crash" and just as I was digesting that, suddenly around the other side, other headlines reported "Diana dead" I was so shocked, my knees felt like they might go from under me and I had to sit down. I was surprised what an impact it had on me.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member
    I rememeber where I was when I learned of Diana's death. The same place as where I found out about 9/11, Piper Alpha, Paddington Rail Crash, 7/7, etc, etc.

I was at home, WATCHING THE BLOODY NEWS!!

Heh, I was staying with my parents that weekend and I came downstairs that morning and my Dad told me the news. My first thought was "oh, that's convenient".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The golden rule is, if it's a Channel 5 documentary, it will be shite.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did the rumoured affair between David Beckham and Rebecca Loos rock Britain?

If my memory serves most people found it funny. :p
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Did the rumoured affair between David Beckham and Rebecca Loos rock Britain?

If my memory serves most people found it funny. :p

It certainly didn't rock Britain. Most people didn't give a damn and out off all the ones mentioned it the show it is most likely to be the one that most people have totally forgotten about and almost certainly never bring to mind.
  • The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    I think what was meant was that many people remember where they were when they heard to news of Diana's death. I certainly do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashbulb_memory

Interestingly these vivid memories are often at least partly wrong despite people being
    so sure they remember all the details. E.g. people who swear they saw the planes hitting
    the towers on 9/11 live when not even the second plane hitting was shown live in their
    country. I bet many will insist they remember incidents so clearly but what you have to consider
    is that memories are not played back like a video.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with what's being said. There was so much that was missed out like Hillsborough, Ibrox Park, the Moors murders, the Soham murders and the plane crash that killed most of the Manchester United Team in the 1950's. Whoever put all this together seemed to think they had to be very recent events. To include the Beckham item was ludicrous.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with what's being said. There was so much that was missed out like Hillsborough, Ibrox Park, the Moors murders, the Soham murders and the plane crash that killed most of the Manchester United Team in the 1950's. Whoever put all this together seemed to think they had to be very recent events. To include the Beckham item was ludicrous.

I was trying to remember the oldest event shown and not sure if it was the Profumo affair or if anything from before that was shown so thought I would check the Demand 5 site but it says this program is unavailable due to a legal issue and there no no current plans for a repeat. Not sure what the 'legal issue will be as I'm sure all that was shown is in the public domain/